Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fernie snow report

Poster: A snowHead
PhotoTim, We are looking at possibly staying at Timberline Lodges next February. What is it like in terms of proximity to any bars, restaurants and shops? How far is it to downtown Fernie, is there a regular bus or cab service?

Thanks in advance for any information you can give regarding the skiing and lodging.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CP, PhotoTim's getting his free massage ( rolling eyes ) at the moment so I'm i Timberline now poaching the internet whilst I wait. There's a grocery store about a 5 min walk up the hill. They do a shuttle to town (including a late bus) but I would get a car if you can as I guess the groceries are a tad more pricey up here and the shop ain't huge. Downtown Fernie is 5 km away so bus/car required. I'm sure PhotoTim will fill in any gaps when he appears Very Happy

As for today, it was mild in the sun but surprisingly cold out of it. The very bottom runs are a bit slushy and any slopes facing the sun have crusted up. This made the double blacks, such as Gorbie Bowl, pretty challenging. However, I still found plenty of soft stuff in Easter Bowl and off the top of Face Lift. I wasn't really "on it" today for some reason: I couldn't find any real rhythym and this resulted in a painful encounter between a tree and my shoulder, another cartwheel/face plant and a scary situation in which I found myself pinned to a tree facing backwards down a steep glade following a "looked at the tree, not the gap" lapse of concentration. However, I manage a couple of nice 3/4 ft drops which made me a bit happier. Hopefully my brain and legs will act in unison tomorrow Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sharkymark, Thanks for the reply.

So Inghams claim that Timberline is 8 minutes walk from the centre of Fernie is being a bit economical with the truth - no surprise there then Mad

Do you know if there are any local car hire facilities?

More importantly is there a bar near Timberline where we could get a beer after skiing?

Cheers
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
CP, can always get a taxi to town, for the odd trip will not be too much. We hired a car but ended up going back to calgary airport to get one. There was a local car hire company, i think it was "rent-a-wreck" but they were out of cars. Found the bus service between town and hill a little slow and rubbish.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CP,
We've managed 2 trips to Fernie without a car. Having one would have been a bonus but not a necessity.
There is a small supermarket at the resort base that sells basics (inc wine and beer). There's a larger one in town (Overwaiteas) with a liquor store next to it. Liquor store shuts at 6pm.
There are only 2 bars at the ski area. The Griz and Kelseys. The Griz has live music at weekends but dies after about 7pm. No kids allowed in there if you are taking any.
Kelseys is more a pub - reasonable food and drink and kids allowed in.
You can also get drinks at Lizard Creek Lodge if you are feeling affluent, and they have a very nice restaraunt there.

Timberline appartments are pretty smart - the French could learn alot! We had a 2 bed appt. Proper kitchen with microwave, dishwasher, oven etc. Decent sized lounge with fire, balcony satelite TV, 2 bathrooms. There are hot tubs, communal BBQ area and swimming pool.

You can ski most of the way back to them by heading (skiers)right at the bottom of Timber Bowl quad, head for the tunnel under the road, about half way along the track stop and climb up the bank to Timberline lodges.

Like Waynos says, the bus service is tempermental. We went in Jan and the whole resort was very quiet. Bus driver gave us his phone number and said if we wanted picking up he'd come and collect us. Tipping him was well worth it Laughing

There's a few other eating places at the resort base. Gabriellas - an Italian above the supermarket, Woods (I think??), posh steak place.
The Griz bar does Nachos, burgers , pizza slices and that's about it.

There is a Pizza place in down town Fernie that will deliver to your appartment door as well.

When we went for first 2 weeks of Jan the snow was so epic that we really could not be bothered to do much after skiing except eat drink and watch the snow fall for the next day. We really didn't miss the sybaritic delights of down town Fernie! I guess that if the snow is not so good you may think otherwise.

Either way you'll enjoy it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CP wrote:

So Inghams claim that Timberline is 8 minutes walk from the centre of Fernie is being a bit economical with the truth - no surprise there then Mad

That sounds right for the walk to the centre of the Fernie Alpine Resort... given that the ski hill is 5k from the town, walking there was probably a bit optimistic Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's it - I'm packed, expect to arrive in Fernie saturday evening Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Enjoy your trip holidayloverxx, I hope you enjoy skiing on your birthday too Very Happy We'll raise a glass to you from Wengen.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FenlandSkier, cheers m'dear. Have a whale of a time in Wengen Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Right, back on track. Yesterday was bluebird ad mild so we decided to hike up Polar Peak. This is normally out of bounds but occasionally they open it up following some avi control. It's an ascent of about 700ft and takes 35 mins as you have to climb a face and then dog-leg onto a ridge. The views were amazing but the hike up was a tad sketchy in places and it was quite windy. We dropped in to the right of some large cliffs down a really sweet, wide open constant-pitch powder field. It was fairly steep but not overly so (35 deg I guess) allowing long, fast turns all the way down. The snow was still fairly soft and thanks to the windblown snow, we had first tracks. We spent the rest of the day lapping Lizard hitting various cat track lips in the sun-softened snow.

Looking at the hill now, it looks like a front is moving in and it's overcast again. I was planning to hike up Polar Peak again with a crazy German bloke who's a mate of PhotoTim's but it may well be closed today. Enough of the chat, I got some skiing to do Toofy Grin snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The clouds came in so we didn't attempt Polar Peak again today. It was fairly mild again but less so than yesterday. The lower runs were still very soft by the afternoon though. We spent most of the day ripping through Lizard Bowl; hitting one or two of the many kickers that have suddenly cropped up. Not really any great amounts of snow predicted for the next 5 days so it looks like I may have seen the last dump of my season. However, it does mean all runs and the backcountry can be opened up snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Came back from Fernie last Thursday after 10/11 days. The transfer from Calgary was rather tedious, 3 + 1/4 hrs, with not much to look at. However, arrived at a reasonable time early evening in time for a bite to eat and a few beers (been many times across the pond and generally arrive late and everything is closed, unlike Europe).

Checked into a very nice two bed condo in the Cornerstone Lodge (we were two couples). We had a big balcony overlooking the Mighty Moose button lift / Elk chair, great views and ideally located ski - in / out accommodation. On the hill is a small ski shop and a grocery store. As been mentioned before, not much at all going on in the evening on the hill. From what we tried, Kelseys was under our lodge, and was fine for a drink, burgers and ribs etc, and Gabriellas the Italian restuarant we thought was nice also. The bus service into Fernie town was rather erratic, but functional, and a few bars and restuarants are scattered along the non - atmospheric main street. We liked the Brickhouse and The Royal, and found the Corner Pocket (next to the Central bar) served good food. We heard good reviews of The Curry Bowl but couldn't get in (it's the size of your front room!) they don't take bookings and sometimes you had to queue outside, so we didn't bother. Oh yeah, we also had a great meal at the Old Elevator. I can recommend the Elk steak and 1 /2 Lobster!

It was rather warm, and the bottom slopes were becoming slushy, but then the temperature dropped slightly, and finally on our second Saturday we had a few cms of snowfall, and Sunday night / Monday it didn't stop, and we got about 9 - 10 inches ( a bit more up in the bowls), this made our final two days ski - ing very enjoyable. There has been a lot of talk about the slow lifts at Fernie, but this only really applies to the Elk / Deer chairs at the base (and boy, they are slow). As soon as you move away from this area we found them to be fine.

Beginners will soon get bored at Fernie as the terrain is rather limited for them, but for everyone else there is some great sport to be had as long as the snow levels are good.

All in all we had a good time in Fernie, we could have had a bit more snow but hey, you pay your moey and take your chance don't you!! wink

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 12-03-08 10:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sutts, so you were also here for the only dump in the last month...timed that right snowHead

The past couple of days have been more of the same: no new snow but superb spring skiing (albeit under overcast skies). I spent yesterday afternoon skiing like a bat out of hell with the crazy German nutcase through the trees in Currie Bowl. We also watched the "Dummy Downhill" which consisted of a variety of contraptions strapped to old skis and launched downhill at a massive kicker in front of the car park. This was almost the undoing of PhotoTim's housemate's truck, which was within 18" of being hit by the remains of an aluminium rocket decorated with fireworks. All this was part of the Griz Days festival which was over the weekend. I met up with holidayloverxxx and Mr H (yes, he really does exist Toofy Grin ) for some apres ski drinks after their first day on the slopes. She's very happy she got a scrolly thing for her Birthday rolling eyes Laughing

Today I was back on form and decided to hit the "secret" kicker in Bow trees. It was only a tentative run and I only gained 8 out of the 15 feet needed to make a perfect landing but we'll sort that out tomorrow Twisted Evil There were a few flurries today and PhotoTim reported some light drizzle at the base about an hour ago. Not sure what's forecast but it would be great to see some freshies before I go snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The past couple of days, the weather's stayed mild but it puked it down yesterday afternoon leading to great conditions, particularly in Lizard and Cedar Bowls. I did a couple of laps of White Pass this morning and got fresh tracks and superb powder in Surprise Trees and Easter Bowl. It was much busier today as a result and by the time I'd made it to Cedar Bowl, most of it was tracked out. Most seemed to have either dropped in straight away or gone to Snake Ridge so the trees in the centre were still fresh...so yet more freshies snowHead snowHead The snow on the nearside steep sections of Snake was awesome but KC Chutes were a tad sketchy.

After lunch, I met up with PhotoTim and some of his mates and we hiked up above Snake. It took about 30 mins but was well worth it: there were a few tracks but we had the sweetest run down on a med grad but fast powder field. We then dipped into Fish Bowl (with transceiver of course wink ) and found even more superb powder and a demon of a kicker which nearly killed me and PhotoTim. A great day snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The new side today was super wind slabby/deposited and lots of hail/grapul - v sketchy on my usual pow day spots Sad I spent the day in Whitefish yesterday in the park so my entire body was pretty destroyed too - but even so, Currie Powder (x2) was pretty nice, as was Suprize and Stag Leap. I did 4 runs then went home to go back to bed Very Happy
snow conditions
DaveC, I skied one of your usual spots and found no one had been down it...for good reason. I totalled it on about my 4th turn and it was very slabby. I strapped on a snowboard for the first time tonight and am feeling very pleased with myself after hitting a kicker in PhotoTim's backyard on the 5th attempt Cool
snow report
Sharkymark wrote:
DaveC, I skied one of your usual spots and found no one had been down it...for good reason. I totalled it on about my 4th turn and it was very slabby. I strapped on a snowboard for the first time tonight and am feeling very pleased with myself after hitting a kicker in PhotoTim's backyard on the 5th attempt Cool

Yeah, I think I put the second track down there on my reverse/reverse skis and nearly died, so switched back to regular skis and instantly regretted it the next run Sad
ski holidays
Bad news: tomorrow's my last day skiing - for the rest of the season Evil or Very Mad However, today was phenomenal: it was bluebird the whole day, the temps had dropped and the snow was awesome. I started the day by myself and did a couple of Timber and Bear laps before nailing the Saddle again. Unfortunately, more snow had been scraped off the drop in leaving a loose rock band stretching across the whole of it. This made the top 15 feet bloody sketchy; there was no way I could turn without risking blowing out on a rock so it was back to Scarpa's "falling leaf technique". The snow on the powder face was worth it though and I managed fresh tracks (again Cool ). I then met up with the others and we ascended Face Lift then hiked up to the base of Lizard Head Wall. Although there were tracks, there was plenty of fresh stuff and it was soft and deep. We hiked up again but this time to the right of Face Lift where there were only 2 tracks. We got yet more freshies snowHead

At the end of the avo, we decided to check out Lost Boys Pass. One of the boarders decided to hit a huge kicker on a steep slope. He absolutely caned it into the jump pulled a 180 and landed about 40 feet downslope. As he landed, he twisted his right arm and dislocated it. We helped him hike out and called ski patrol to pick him up. PhotoTim's with him at the hospital now and they've popped it back in so that's good. His only real concern was whether either of us got a decent shot of the jump Laughing wink
ski holidays
OF LORDY LORD...forecast: "a few overnight flurries", reality: absolutely PUKING IT DOWN. I found it fairly hard to contain my excitement this morning when we awoke to steady snow and about an inch in the town. On the hill, this translated into about 4-5 ins when I got up at first lift. I went straight to Cedar Bowl, where it settles thicker, and found that no one at all had been beyond Cedar Ridge. In other words, pretty much the entire bowl was fresh snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead Although I could still feel the crust underneath, there was about 8 ins of snow which provided plenty of flotation for high-speed turns. KC Chutes were sick; each turn released tons of slough and I raced it down the top parts of the chute. I met up with PhotoTim, who was a bit slow out of bed rolling eyes and we ripped down Cedar Ridge with only about half a dozen other tracks. It was deeper here and less crusty. We accessed Boom chair via the trees next to Linda's Run, where there were only 2 other tracks (one set was mine from earlier Cool snowHead ) and then hiked up Snake Ridge. As per usual, most hikers were going into Fish Bowl so we got yet more freshies on the top half of Snake Main in the ever-deepening snow snowHead

We then met up with a few more people and headed over to the new side. Following our excursion down the Saddle last week, we knew that there would be deeper snow with few tracks. The drop in was far less sketchy and although there were plenty of rocks at the top, it was possible to turn around/through/over them. We traversed towards Easter Bowl and looked down at a completely untouched steep powder field. I swear it was over knee deep with no crust underneath...best turns of my stay snowHead snowHead The trees at the bottom were more tracked (at least 3, maybe 4 people had been before us Cool Laughing ). We lapped this run again after persuading some others that the blind drop in, 45 deg pitch and rocks were nowt to worry about Twisted Evil and they all thought it was worth it with yet another run of freshies through a different gully.

We ascended White Pass again and skied through Surprise Trees. Although it was deep, we could still feel the crust beneath. Instead of hitting the groomer at the bottom of the run, we skied into some tight trees above the Timber Chair. Again, there were only 2 other tracks and slough was gushing all over the place. We then skied Siberia Ridge and Morning Glory, before PhotoTim had to go to work Twisted Evil I went back up and skied the Saddle again before a couple of Bear laps and that was it for 2008.

WHAT

A

SEASON

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Sharkymark, and did you see the snow as you left on saturday morning Shocked . We were gutted to be leaving. anyone out there this weekend will have a brilliant time.

Awesome place, something for everyone. We Luuuurve Powder. Didn't quite manage first tracks but a few runs off the Elk chair were pretty fresh later in the morning on Thursday.

Very happy with the easy pistes to practise drills, the more challenging terrain (some of those blues are pretty dark blue aren't they wink ), plus a couple of black single diamonds for self flattery.

I loved Fernie, great laid back atmosphere, even better when meeting up with snowHeads
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, did I see it?! I had to wade through it! Shocked Basically, there was a fairly massive dump the night before I left. I got back home a few hours ago after another 25 hour journey. PhotoTim helpfully reported that there was a foot of fresh in Cedar Bowl and that it was "epic" Cool rolling eyes Twisted Evil

holidayloverxx, I think I spotted you and Mr HL in the check in queue in Calgary but I had to rush to get food before my flight was called.
snow report
Sharkymark, we got home at noon today. we got to check in at around 4.00pm then hit Taco Time and Tim Hortons - Mr HL rrrolled the rim to win.....a doughnut Very Happy
snow conditions
That's hilarious: PhotoTim's roomie's bought 11 cups of Tim Horton's coffee and hasn't won anything - despite a claimed win probability of 1/9! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
yeah yesterday was pretty epic. After so long without a good ol' powder dump, it was good to be back! I've been honing my jumping skills over the last few weeks so when the powder arrived again I was absolutely flying off everything I could find! Face shots every turn, snow sticking on the goggles, choking on the powder...thats what yesterday was all about Very Happy Also did corner pocket for the first time, which is a double diamond, narrow, rock lined, steep chute that has tires attached to the rocks to hold the snow on. Only thing was the tires were exposed for about 10 foot at the start Shocked

Managed to cram a lot in when Sharkymark was here. Hiked Polar Peak, Hiked upper cedar, hiked upper lizard twice and did a load of new runs.

Pics to come soon hopefully.
ski holidays
Sharkymark, Sounds like you had a great time in Fernie. The conditions over in Big White were very similar last week. A fair bit more snow than predicted and loads of quality fresh track skiing. It was hard to leave on Sunday morning with blue skies, cool temps and at least another 10 cm of fresh powder overnight. But there's always next season Sad
latest report
uktrailmonster, I know what you mean. Glad you had a good one; mine was awesome!!!!! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Snowing on and off for a few days now. The sun often makes an appearance too which is nice. We have also now broken 10m of snow for the season which is pretty good. The annual average is 8.75m.
latest report
24cm last night, overslept a bit and got to the hill at 9:30 - prompty got to the back of the overflow carpark and carried on driving straight back home. Busier than Xmas up there, public holidays suck!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave, you missed a killer day. Was busy but not too bad, never had to wait ages for a lift. Did laps of the Saddles and was rewarded with amazing runs in easter bowl each time! First run of the day was fresh all the way through cedar bowl. Phone me when you are next up...
snow report
Will do. Might be a while - have become an alchoholic. Royal was banging tonight... messy one on the cards tomorrow!
ski holidays
RCR might think the season is nearly over, but the Griz strongly disagrees. 2 inches on the street already, puking snow, supposed to continue all night - April blower tomorrow morning! Very Happy

Oh, and anyone in Fernie want to buy a car?
snow report
Sweet snowHead
latest report
comfortably over 11m of snow this season now and a base of up to around 3.8m. To put it into perspective, we have more base than lake louise has had snowfall! Hill closes in a few days so going to make the most of it. After that I'm going to try some cross country skiing and then to head up to lake louise for a couple of days followed by a visit to the new resort at revelstoke...can't wait!

Oh, and did I mention that I will then be traveling around Vancouver Island before spending the summer mountain biking in Whistler? Very Happy

Livin the dream...
latest report
Tony - when are you out this week? Where's your housemate? xx

(i have no credit either)
ski holidays
PhotoTim, I haven't managed to sell your 2006/7 Spesh Enduro Med Frame perfect nick bike yet for the £1100 it's worth but I'll keep trying! snowHead
snow conditions
DaveC, Tony Hawks and Timmy Hortons will both be making a guest appearances probably on saturday evening in some form of drinking establishment. They will also be hitting the hill tomorrow, sunday and probably monday.

Someone buy my bike please....
snow conditions
Sweet, think I'm taking a night off (purely because noone else wants to go out...) - will see you round town tomorrow.
ski holidays
So an amazing season comes to a close. I'm sitting on my bare bed having packed most of my gear. I leave for lake louise in an hour Sad

Bye bye fernie, I will miss you but I'll be back...
snow conditions
PhotoTim, Thanks to you and the rest of the Fernie gang for givign such excellent reports throughout the season. They certainly kept up my anticipation. Like you I'll be back Very Happy
snow conditions
Likewise, I would like to congratulate everyone who posted on this thread over the season. Give yourselves all a pat on the back!!! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy