Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fernie snow report

Poster: A snowHead
Didn't have a chance to hook up with Tim, was a really weird day - had to go pick up a boot from the guide hut at 8am and the entire day was spent racing for first lines down stuff from there (we got four laps of Timber in with fresh lines then caught the Currie opening, got the first line down Powder then did a lap of Glades, then to Lizard for the sickness.

What's going on with the Snowheads censor? I definately didn't start my last post with "holy poo-poo" Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DaveC, think he's only unable to ride for one day (Friday) in the next week. I can't really imagine 6ft of powder, apart from that tree well I found myself stuck in below Whitepass. Hopefully see you in a few weeks. From what you were describing, you should've started with "holy poo-poo"
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It was our last day today Sad and looking back I cannot believe how lucky we have been. 172cm has fallen since we arrived. Crazy. Basically it snowed at least 20cm+ each day/night that we were here so that every morning we were riding knee to waist deep new all over the mountain. Conditions could not have been more perfect. Very Happy

Craig on far.redtree.com wrote:
I can't recall, not that that means much, a week this good in quite some time.

Powderwatch wrote:
...once in a while the stars align and you have a week that will be talked about for years to come. How good was it? Well it was very localized to the Southern Rockies, Fernie, Castle, and I'll include Big Mountain even though they are across the border. Big Mountain -> 145cm in 5 days. Fernie -> 142cm since last weekend.

Today's story:

It was all about the first run. After our good experiences yesterday with Morning Glory we decided to hit it again first thing. Unfortunately we were a fair way behind the first chair when we boarded the Timber Express Quad at 9.15am so we were a tad concerned that we might have missed the best of it. We need not have worried. As we approached the top of the lift we were bathed in Morning Glorious sunlight - stunning stuff. And then we made the short hike up to Morning Glory and took our first look.

Oh my word.

Perfect untracked snow left right and centre. Crisp morning sunshine. Straight in and turn after turn on the wide gaps between the trees on knee to waist deep PERFECTION. An experience that will stick in my memory for the rest of my life. Wow. Very Happy

Down onto Falling Star and the fun continued. The wide open motorway run was covered with 15ish cms of perfect hero snow. Just superb. Even the cat track at the bottom had been groomed so no skating/walking was required. snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

After that first run it didn't really matter what happened during the rest of the day. Nevertheless it was all damn good. Suprize, Cedar, Lizard, all superb, fresh tracks a plenty. The only disappointment of the day was deciding not to queue for the opening of Currie as no-one had any idea exactly when the rope would be dropped and when asked ski patrol were being frustratingly vague. So we left to do another run and needless to say Currie opened 5 minutes later... Mad

Pics from today and a full trip report to follow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Today's pics:

Top of Morning Glory

Queue for ticket office @9.45am

Top of Currie Bowl just before opening, which we then missed... Sad

Lizard Bowl

Cedar Bowl

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hd wrote:

Top of Currie Bowl just before opening, which we then missed... Sad

Who's that dashing fellow in the white on the far right? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hd, great report and photos: looking forward to my next trip in a few weeks when I get round to booking it Very Happy

DaveC, well spotted
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
aussie dave in there too i think.

Upper cedar opened today
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
a little article here on Fernie from telegrah (written by the fernie toursit office probably)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/travel/2008/02/01/et-resortofweek-101.xml

Is true the resort shut due to the cold - find hard to believe, I was skiing there in -32 when I was there.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Definately didn't shut due to cold - total rubbish Puzzled
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DaveC, thought as much.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
there was a frostbite warning, but nothing closed. I think on monday morning after the 44cm dump, the boom and maybe the bear chairs had trouble getting going because of the cold and amount of snow we had.

Its been a crazy week with big dumps every night.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PhotoTim wrote:
Upper cedar opened today

The day after we leave Sad Sad Sad go on make me jealous how good was it Sad Sad Sad

Back at home now Sad Sad Sad after a long but hassle-free journey until I had to use British public transport on a Sunday...2.5hrs to get from Gatwick to Brighton... Mad

The endless hours on the flight were used productively to write trip reports for Big Mountain and Fernie which are now in the relevant thread in the Resorts section.

I will post some more pics once Hoppo has added discussion threads for each report.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 4-02-08 0:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hd, interesting report. Those traverses are pretty hairy in places for skiers too. Trying to get my pics on the Snowmediazone but it wasn't working when I tried it a few days ago
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hd, good report but I do see some of your negatives as positives - which is likely 'cos I live here... things being hard to find is a blessing since if everything was obvious it'd get tracked out even faster...

The lifts are badly laid out because the resort has evolved from being small to large. Timber is relatively new, White Pass newer. Originally it was Elk and Boomerang (hence them being the most antiquated lifts) and Bear was a T bar. Not sure if Haulback was there, I presume so... Anyway, it's only really "boomed" in the last few years - sadly RCR are an unashamedly profit driven organisation, so haven't spent the money to upgrade stuff. However, I fear that upgrading the lifts will only serve to make Fernie more popular and kill what remains of the hidden gem it is.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DaveC, my sentiments exactly Very Happy

Who needs signs anyway...
latest report
Links to the discussion/pics threads for my Whitefish and Fernie trip reports.

Pics are already on the Whitefish thread. I'll try and add some to the Fernie thread this evening.
snow report
Sharkymark, guess who did saddles today Toofy Grin I'll take you down there when you come. Steep rock lined chute (double diamond - so steep you can't see what you're doing until you're on it) opening out into a sweet steep powder field (the sacred easter bowl). Face lift is getting opened more now too so hopefully that will open for you on your next visit. Then you can come play kickers with us Very Happy

Snow report: still coming out of my ears, er and I guess some more will fall at some point.
latest report
awesome day today. Still freshtracks in the trees at 3pm.

Catskiing tomorrow , life sucks eh? :sh:
snow conditions
PhotoTim, nice one. Never even found the drop in until that day I disappeared off into those trees next to Skydive Evil or Very Mad Looking forward to it already... Twisted Evil snowHead
ski holidays
Awesome snow today, not particularly predicted so was quiet this morning. Light, fluffy, knee deep and out of nowhere. Got three sweet runs in before having to get into the last day of the instructor course - which I passed, btw Very Happy
latest report
Got back from Fernie yesterday, what a place, awesome snow through the 2 weeks I was there, over 2 metres fell, never seen powder like it - will be back next year without doubt!
snow report
DaveC, nice one mate snowHead
ski holidays
This place is insane.

avalanche.ca wrote:
Arctic air is advancing into the region Friday and early Saturday. 5-10cm is forecast with the front into Saturday. On Saturday evening a warm Pacific storm will collide with the Arctic air, creating the right environment for copious amounts of snow. Recognize forecasting precipitation in this situation is difficult and amounts are very location dependent. Weather models don't handle this situation well at all. Previous situations and analysis suggest that 80-100cm could fall in a 24 hour period Saturday night through Sunday accompanied by strong westerly winds in the Fernie Area

snowHead
ski holidays
Hi guys, Anyone left out there in Fernie? Really enjoyed reading this thread the past few months, however seems to have all gone quiet the last week! Coming out this Saturday for 10 days and really looking forward to it, hopefully conditions are still favourable!
latest report
Sutts, enjoy! 19 sleeps for me so keep it coming guys Very Happy
ski holidays
It's been a quiet couple of weeks for me - had to take a week off skiing/in physio to fix my ankles, but it's rained in town and heavy snow on the hill - got a few days of dry ahead of us according to the weather forecast now.
latest report
Sutts, I think PhotoTim's got some more shifts so is probably not out as much. Going out again in 12 days time for 2 weeks so expect plenty of action then snowHead
snow report
holidayloverxx, Sharkymark, Have a great time you guys!! I set out tomorrow morning from Gatwick. We wait so long for this, on the slopes Sunday morning!!! Can't wait!!! Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sutts, let us have some reports. have a great time snowHead (just worked out where you are based wink )
latest report
We have had amazing blue bird skies and warm weather for a few days now. The conditions are still very nice with nice fast hard packed powder groomers. Might be some snow this weekend so keeping fingers crossed.
ski holidays
8 days... snowHead
snow conditions
today (tuesday) is the tenth day we've had without snow. Easily double the longest dry spell we've had Sad (though, I think that was the only other dry spell we've had...). I'm so spoiled living here, but right now all I notice when I look out the window is that it's not snowing still Sad

I want to ski powder. Sad Forecast says that it's coming back tonight and not leaving again though...
ski holidays
DaveC wrote:
today (tuesday) is the tenth day we've had without snow. Easily double the longest dry spell we've had...

Sharkymark must be arriving soon Toofy Grin
snow report
DaveC, FenlandSkier, ooooooo yeah...4 days to go snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
First day up today: hard pack conditions but with a light dusting after a few cms the other day and the sun was out most of the time so it was pretty "European" for the time of year. I found it not too bad but the Canadian dude I was riding with was not impressed. They've been without any snow for about 3 weeks and they're sold on blower pow. It softened up in the afternoon a little but the temps were too cold to do much to the upper runs. However, Cedar and Lizard Bowls were pretty sweet. Nothing substantial forecast but here's hoping snowHead
snow report
Welcome back buddy Smile Hope you brought the snow with you...
snow conditions
Sharkymark, keep up the reports, I'm on the final countdown - 5 sleeps Very Happy
snow report
So we've all been deprived of snow for nearly 3 weeks. Everything was getting really hard and icy in places. Woke up this morning to maybe 3cm in town but it continued to dump all day and its still going now at 7:50pm. Got some wicked runs down through the trees and the hill was empty. Even though the hard pack under the 10cm reared its ugly head almost constantly, it was so nice to be able to launch off stuff again and have something to edge on when landing! Was a good day. Hopefully more will fall this week, but I have a feeling we may go back to sun again (a good thing in some respects but we want pow!).
ski holidays
Well as PhotoTim points out, yesterday was pretty good. It dumped all day and there was several inches of freshies in places by the end of the day and virtually no people. Ace. Today we woke up to, guess what, "20cm" of fresh. By now I've got used to "20cm" meaning "shin deep in places" and I wasn't wrong. What a day. I met up and skied with DaveC most of the day. Heavy powder but perfect to prevent an unstable layer on top of the hard pack. Fresh tracks (again Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy ) in Cedar Bowl, deep pockets in Surprise Trees, and good snow on the (very steep) KC Chutes. It looks like Spring maybe returning over the next few days and it would be great to have some bluebird.

DaveC, it turned up eventually snowHead
ski holidays
Spring made a return to the ski hill today with broken clouds allowing the sun though for most of the day and mild temperatures. The powder had become heavy as a result in some places and crusty on the far side of snake ridge and Lizard Bowl. I found the best conditions in the trees such as those on the ridiculously steep Anaconda; clearly the traverse put most off and although tracked out, not overly so. Cedar ridge was tracked out and fairly heavy but still soft enough to release plenty of satisfying slough. The snow was still soft pow off the top of Face Lift and I got some great turns in before a combination of speed and supreme lack of talent resulted in the loss of both skis, an airborne somersault and a full-on face plant. This was repeated in the tough tracked-out crud at the bottom of KC Chutes.

I met up with PhotoTim at the tail end of the afternoon and we decided to do one of the infamous Saddles. These runs drop off (literally Twisted Evil ) a ridge into narrow rock-lined gullies. The gully was convex and a shade over 45 deg pitch meaning the snow was, erm, hard and thin. It was also heavily mogulled so to avoid a nasty fall, we both pretty much side-slipped down the first 15 feet or so until the snow was better and a couple of "exciting" turns were possible. The point of going through this pain was to access a wide, steep powder bowl which had far fewer tracks than the rest. It was also still soft since the cliffs either side of the Saddles kept it in the shade. Epic snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy