Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

10 Interesting BendyKnees questions

Poster: A snowHead
i was bored and started looking through what sort of questions the skiers ask, and was quite amused by lots of them.

Any suggestions for replies ?? (In no paricular order)

1 Is it worth a little warm up before you ski or is lugging all your gear to the lift sufficient effort? Or do 'real' skiers not bother?

Answer - warm up before lugging to avoid injury getting into the gondola

2 Visiting my sis in Frimley just after Xmas and need to feed my dendix habit. Where would snowheads suggest

Answer - where the f@ck is Frimley??

3 Dropping 6ft cliffs - My regular ski buddy did one for the first time last year. Of course being a competitive type I quite fancy learning how to do it as well. Suggestions??

Answer - get a board

Parlor answer (becasue he is a grumpy sod Very Happy )
the most important thing is the landing. Never jump off anything into an unknown landing zone. What you're looking for is a nice and steep LZ with plenty of room. NEVER jump on to the flat. After around 6' you need a fairly good run out, once you land you'll need some straightline room to find your feet again before you check your speed with some turns. "Winding down the windows" is the most common first time trait, this can really upset your balance. Look to bring your knees up towards your chest and force your hands forwards and down. Before landing extend your legs and then suck them back up to absorb the force. Try not to introduce your knees to your jaw / mouth / teeth / tongue. I've lost a tooth on a measly 15'. Aim to land slightly on your tails and better to have your weight slightly back rather than forwards. It's hard to explain but your weight position as it will vary with height dropped and landing conditions (type of snow and pitch). Once you get above a certain height even top athletes will "back slap" or "back check" a landing, better to land on your bottom or back than your head. It's addictive when you start to stomp landings, it makes you want to go bigger and bigger. It's also silly and an easy way to start putting yourself in hospital...

4 I have a 1 year old Giro G10 helmet that fits perfect and i really dont want to have to buy a second helmet just for the occasional training. As i am just starting out will i really be getting wacked in the face much by the poles?

Answer - what is this thing about skiers and poles, isn't one in each hand enough?? go and enjoy yourself instead

5 Spent an enjoyable evening yesterday practising my snowploughs. Scary how tricky they are to do right! Why do my buttocks ache so much this morning? It must be agony to do a week of skiing like this.

Answer - make sure you never get your drink spiked again

6 Tree wells - any visible signs to look for??

Answer - err ..... trees

7 Is a propensity to sea sickness a detriment to carving

Answer - who cares, the hangover is worse

8 How many types of turn are there

Answer ?????//

9 I need help in spinning from backwards skiing to forward skiing. I'm happy going from forward to backwards but when I try to change back I nearly always catch an inide edge - nasty fall at speed.
help!

Answer - you need help generally, agreed on that point

10 wHAT IS THE BEST THING TO DO IF IT ALL GOES PEAR SHAPED ??

Answer - fall with grace

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 16-11-07 10:01; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rayscoops, Laughing Excellent
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rayscoops wrote:
8 How many types of turn are there

Left and right
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rayscoops, you made number seven up, admit it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well, they say copying is the sincerest form of flattery - I wonder what I could find whilst going through the snowboarding section wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rayscoops, brightened up my lunchtime ! Particularily like no.6 .... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Although I think you stole the idea from my post wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard, there was a raging debate on the subject, honest Shocked
Megamum, I had to limit myself from including too many of yours wink
debbi, maybe there was something lurking there in the back of my mind, perhaps Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rayscoops, I'll let you off, you did far more research than I could be bothered with ! Razz you found some gems there !
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Excellent, really made me laugh. Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh & I know the answer to no.2 - Frimley is just near Camberley Laughing My uncle & Grandad used to live there
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
debbi, Camberley ??/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops, you must know, its down the A30 wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
debbi, Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, Ace! Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops, Razz Razz Razz
latest report
Top notch.
snow conditions
love it !
snow report
Latest! http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31885&start=0

rolling eyes
snow report
Lizzard, you don't like that thread then?
latest report
Mosha Marc, couldn't comment really - I fell asleep after three posts. Laughing
snow report
Lizzard, ZZZZZzzzzzzz Talk about taking a fun past time and killing it !
snow report
so noone wants to start a snowboarding terminology thread then?
ski holidays
go on the Swirly,
snow report
debbi, no.
snow report
I need help with my falling leaf, I can go from leaf to falling but from falling to leaf i seem to catch both edges - a nasty fall at speed wink
snow conditions
Swirly wrote:
so noone wants to start a snowboarding terminology thread then?

Ace - the word expelled when you look out of your hotel window and see the fresh dumps of overnight snow

Top Notch - the description of your evening scran after an awesome day in the powder

love it - looking back up the piste at your fresh powder track

Excellent - "zang" in Chinese

Laughing
ski holidays
paulm wrote:
I need help with my falling leaf, I can go from leaf to falling but from falling to leaf i seem to catch both edges - a nasty fall at speed wink

Laughing Laughing
latest report
OOF - The sound of the wind being knocked out of you
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops wrote:
4 I have a 1 year old Giro G10 helmet that fits perfect and i really dont want to have to buy a second helmet just for the occasional training. As i am just starting out will i really be getting wacked in the face much by the poles?

it's not the helmet that's the problem or the fact you're just starting out - try shaving off the adolf hitler mustache!
snow report
rayscoops wrote:

3 drop -offs - My regular ski buddy did one for the first time last year. Of course being a competitive type I quite fancy learning how to do it as well. Suggestions??

Answer - get a board

Bwwaahhhhhh. Only a novice snowboarder could answer a question like that!

Exactly how high do you think a snowboarder can go? Do you know the world record for cliff drops on either skis or snowboards?

a real border wrote:

3 drop -offs - My regular ski buddy did one for the first time last year. Of course being a competitive type I quite fancy learning how to do it as well. Suggestions??

Answer - Pesky skiers, dropping higher stuff than me and making it look better. I'm going to go and get stoned.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Quote:

Exactly how high do you think a snowboarder can go?

To the same height as anyone else in possession of either a) a pair of feet or b) a helicopter, surely? Puzzled
snow report
parlor, it is not height of the drop off that is the issue, it is the landing, getting up and riding off on the board after the first attempt - rather than having to conduct the 'find my ski / get my ski please' ritual is usually adopted by skiers that try silly things they have not done before wink
latest report
Lizzard, upwards, yes. Downwards? No. Perhaps I was a little too informal with English. I'll try again:

Exactly how "big" do you think a snowboarder can go? I.e. what is the biggest cliff a snowboarder could drop?

Oh it's been ruined now. For those that don't understand and haven't actually hucked something big on either skis or snowboards (I've hucked pretty big on both). You can't go as big (and land, and ride away, pre-multi-somersaulting) on a snowboard as you can on skis. Fact.

So stick that in your soft boot, one plank pipe and shhhmoke it baby.

Oh and because of Lizzard little post, I'm gonna stick up for another skier.

rayscoops wrote:
2 Visiting my sis in Frimley just after Xmas and need to feed my dendix habit. Where would snowheads suggest

Geography, eh? Always a confusing one. Why does it matter? It's not near you so don't worry about it.

Why don't you guys try and find something to talk about instead of mocking poor (albeit idiotic) skiers????
ski holidays
parlor, you may well sneak in at No. 11 with that one Very Happy
snow conditions
parlor, good grief, who rattled your cage? I'm sure your 'hucking' skills are second to none. Now go and have a nice cup of tea and a sit down.
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
parlor, it is not height of the drop off that is the issue, it is the landing, getting up and riding off on the board after the first attempt - rather than having to conduct the 'find my ski / get my ski please' ritual is usually adopted by skiers that try silly things they have not done before wink

That's because due to a fundamental lack of skills requires a snowboarder to be attached to ones board. Snowboarder drops a cliff. Lands on any part of body, momentum flips them around a few times and hey presto back on feet. Whhhooooo-hooooo.

The original post about "dropping cliffs", which I'm sure should actually be "dropping rocks", was asked by a skier who wanted some pointers so they could actually try to learn to land on feet and thus keep skis attached to feet. Not only to prevent annoying Snowboarders who, as you say, don't want to spend time looking for a buddies ski, but actually because it's jolly good form to land on ones feet and ski away. Which, incidentally, takes a fair bit of courage, skill and practice.

Could someone please call me a Cyber Fire Brigade? I can feel some flames burning and I have a large can of kerosene... Wink
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
parlor, good grief, who rattled your cage? I'm sure your 'hucking' skills are second to none. Now go and have a nice cup of tea and a sit down.

Just warming up!
snow conditions
Quote:

Answer - what is this thing about skiers and poles, isn't one in each hand enough?? go and enjoy yourself instead

that would be those slalom poles thingies, setting out a course that most boarders arent able to make turns through NehNeh NehNeh Laughing
latest report
skimottaret, much better reply, my faith in 'techies' has been restored Very Happy
ski holidays
rayscoops, nice thread and I am with you on one very important subject, just where the f@ck is Frimley??
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy