Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hakuba, Japan - accomodation recommendations please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm seriously looking at a weeks skiing in the Hakuba area of Japan sometime late feb/early march & am looking for a budget/reasonably priced B&B, pension or similar. Has anyone any personal recommendations please?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,

I don't know if i can help you but I went skiing in Hakuba 13 years ago and we stayed in a log cabin but i would recomend finding a hotel that has an onsen in it as it is great after a days skiing. Watch out for all the snowborders on the mountain as there are hardly any skiers and they always cut across your path. There is a ski bus to the car park but the queues at the end of the day are really really long. The skiing is great and if you are feeling daring there is a lot of off piste but don't let the ski patrol find you and watch out for the bears!

I had a great time but having skied in Switzerland i have been spoilt by the lift system. In Hakuba 1 it takes ages to get up to the top of the mountain and some of the chair lifts didn't have bars across although they do sweep the chair for you. The snow is really good with lots of powder. I went at New Year and we worried that is wasn't going to snow but it started 'puking' snow as my aussie co worker described it and we had a great time. Here is a pix of the snow we had. It's not the best but you can see how much is on top of the door and that we had to dig our way out in the morning.

ski holidays
 lifeofriley
lifeofriley
i would take a look at welovesnow.com - a travel agent in japan with lots of Brits working there. There is a range of hotel options from cheap to pricey...

(i'm involved with the company, so i would say this - but genuinely, its worth a look!)

if you travel late feb, the hotels will book up quickly for saturday nights...

skiing in japan is definitely different. no huge runs with never-ending pistes, but fanstastic snow quality. i'm sure you will have a blast.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This guy is a regular on the Teton Gravity Research Forum.

Seems to know his stuff.

http://hakubapowderlodging.com/
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rivergirl, thanks for lowdown, its only quickened my interest further - love the idea of the onsen, but they seem to be in the more top end places & I'm definitely on something of a budget.

lifeofriley, will now take a look at your site - you over in japan yourself ? & thanks againMike Pow, will also check out your recommendation. particularly as it was earlier posts of yours that triggered the idea of skiing Japan !

thanks all
ski holidays
 lifeofriley
lifeofriley
yep, over here in japan, and very excited that the snowline is getting lower and lower. in niigata, kagura resort will have its opening day on november 23rd, then resorts in hakuba and nozawa onsen begin on 1st dec.

i cant wait!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You're welcome nickH.

Hiked up Hirafu Saturday morning for my first turns of the season.

Got to the 1000m hut at the top of Ace 3. Above that way too much foliage.

Skied the 'groomers' Center Course down to Tauch Course. Up to boot-top pow with little poking through down to where Tauch Course leads into Konayuki Course.

Below that it was rock dodging and combo of snow and grass/bamboo skiing down to Sennoki course. Had to walk around the switch back and clicked in for the last 300m or so down to the Ace Quad 2 lift.

Grand Hirafu Trail Map
http://www.grand-hirafu.jp/en/mountain/map.html

Raining in the village Saturday night but snow line was at 500m this morning (Sunday 18th).

Snowing heavily as I write (10am on Sunday) and supposed to snow all week.

Should be OK for opening day next Friday (23rd).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lifeofriley, Mike Pow, b*****ds!

meanwhile, I'll continue to make my plans & not be remotely envious of either of you !

enjoy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes nick I do go to snowjapan.com to forums or to their accomodation search and find the Hakuba Powder Lodge its' run by Nick and Hiro who are delightful and helpful people who will put you up for about 3000Y/night ($30au) dunno what in stirling but not much. The lodge is self catering and very close to transport or a short hike to the lifts.
If you want to contact me by email Ill post my beginners (thats me) guide to skiing in Japan.
Try this link http://www.hakubahotels.com/property_info.asp?ID=1037
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Two hotels in Hakuba definitely worth checking out are the Hakuba Luna Hotel (www.hakubalunahotel.com) and the Sports Hotel Terry (www.hakubaterry.com)

Both are in the Wadano Forest area of Hakuba Happo-One. Hakuba Luna has a better location (really close to the Sakka Quad chair) but Sports Hotel Terry is also very good

As these hotels are in the Wadano Forest area, they're very close to the snow, but you'll have to catch a village shuttle bus or a taxi a few kilometres if you want to get to Echoland (the main nightlife area)

The disadvantage of staying in Echoland is that you have to catch a shuttle to and from the snow each day

If the restaurant / bar area is more your style then check out either the White Horse Arctic hotel (www.whitehorse-hakuba.com) or Hakuba Hifumi hotel (http://www.hakubahifumi.jp)

There are definitely more luxurious hotels than these 4 (e.g the Tokyo Hotel), but all 4 are very comfortable and great value for money

Hakuba is awesome. You'll love it!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski Guy, welcome to snowHeads.

You may be a bit late with that advice though wink snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oops.. You're right. I should have checked when the question was asked.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy