Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A few resorts in one week?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone ever done this.
eg drive out and stay somewhere at foot of mountains and drive each morning to a different resort?

Was thinking of doing it for a few days just after new year. Ideally i'd like a short break from Jan 2nd to Jan 6th but this just doesn't seem possible without paying through the roof.

4 nights in a hotel in Moutiers for example is only £80. Would buy day pass in each resort and drive back at end of the day. Or take the cable up from Brise de Bains or something.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have often thought of doing this in the Tarentaise but never have. Driving up to Mottaret probably preferable to the long haul on the gondola up from Brides Les Bains. Dunno whether Moutiers might be a bit depressing in the evenings though!

Another possibility would be to stay in Bourg St Maurice and visit Les Arcs / La Plagne / Ste Foy / Espace Killy.

A good area where I have done this is in Mont Blanc area. We stayed in Les Houches and you can drive to Chamonix, Argentiere, Le Tour, Les Contamines, St Gervais & Megeve all within half an hour or less or ski in Les Houches itself. Staying lower down in say Sallanches makes this a possibly cheap way of visiting some top notch resorts.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you stay in Bourg St Maurice it's easy enough to get to the 3 Vallees, adding to the long list of places you can sample.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And don't forget lunch in Italy Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nice idea, if you go for the Dolomites you could ski dozens of resorts on the same pass. Superski dolomiti.
The Montafon in Austria gives you 4 different and excellent resorts on one pass plus cheap accommodation.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheapest place to do this is southern alps - if you buy a week's pass in any one of Alpe d'Huez, 2Alpes, Serre Chevalier, Montgenevre, Puy St Vincent or Milky Way you get a free day in each of the others. Best place to stay would be Briancon.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've done this in Austria - staying in the St Johann/ Kitzbuel area and you've got about 7 resorts within 20/30 minutes drive. Kitzbuel, St Johann, Steinplatz, Westerndorf, Ellmau...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard wrote:
Cheapest place to do this is southern alps - if you buy a week's pass in any one of Alpe d'Huez, 2Alpes, Serre Chevalier, Montgenevre, Puy St Vincent or Milky Way you get a free day in each of the others. Best place to stay would be Briancon.

Some of the Tarentaise resorts have a similar scheme, although this year it costs €10 per day to ski in one of the partner resorts. Resorts include the 3V, Espace Killy, Paradiski and maybe some others.
snow report
 brian
brian
rob@rar, not sure if short breaks will be possible in BSM in new year week. Istr a thread where someone else tried to book something similar at a peak time and found it difficult.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can get a hotel in Briancon for just £50 a night. Two of you go. £100 each for accomodation for 4 nights. Can drive up to resorts. May very well go. snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brian wrote:
rob@rar, not sure if short breaks will be possible in BSM in new year week. Istr a thread where someone else tried to book something similar at a peak time and found it difficult.

Yes, you're right. Sorry, should have read first post more carefully.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
garethjomo, any chance of doing it the following week, rather than the peak New Year week? That would greatly increase your options, and reduce the amount of time spent in queues, either on the road or in the resorts.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
garethjomo,
I think Saikee did this from Sion last year and skied several of the valaisian resorts from there, probably have to get day tickets as I don't think there is a shared one.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi,

Having never skied in France I flew out to Chambery 19 March this year, picked up the cheapest hire car I could get and spent 4 nights B&B at a hotel in La Lerche (which I had to myself). Nowhere open for food in La Lerche due to time of year so had to eat in Moutiers which is a bit dismal but the upside was I had three great days skiing in Meribel, Courchevel and Val Thorens.

David G
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
garethjomo, if you do the Briancon thing, I would suggest spending at least 2 days skiing Serre Che and 2 days skiing the Milky Way. Both are massive areas and you will miss out on a lot of the good stuff if you only do one day.
snow report
In terms of pisted runs, Serre Chevalier, Alpe d'Huez and 2Alpes are more or less the same size, in fact.
latest report
We did it a couple of years ago, stayed in Tahoe City and skied eight mountains in two weeks, also drove around 700 miles Toofy Grin

One great holiday Smile
latest report
works really well in US because you often have to drive anyway to get to the slopes from reosrt, and in most cases you don't miss out on much apres ski activity because there isn't much (obvious exceptions). Colorado for example Breckonridge, Vail, Copper Mountain Arapahoe Basin v close to each other, Aspen up the road, Steamboat not too far for a day trip from the main I70 cluster of resorts. Utah same set up, tons of resorts within an hour drive of Salt Lake City - we're planning to do that in Utah for 4 days and then onto Jackson for 4 days over new year this year - although Utah has had no snow yet so might have to rethink that leg....
snow conditions
We've done this quite a few times....

Base St Jean de Maurienne.....ski in Toussuire/Corbier/Valmenier/Valloire/Val Thorens
Base Bourg St Maurice....ski Tignes/La Rosiere/Les Arcs
Base Sallanches...ski Les Carroz/Megeve/St Gervais/Les Houches

As long as you don't want the full apres ski experience that you only get n a resort town then its an excellent and cheap way to do things.....the smaller resorts of the Maurienne are particularly good value for money.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
T Bar, there is reciprocity between Crans/Montana, Leukerbad and (cough) certain other small resorts on the other side of the Rhone. Week pass in one gives day ticket in others.
latest report
Ski Amade maybe the answer. There's loads of little resorts with varying terrain all on the same ski pass. snowHead

Go to www.skiamade.com for more info.
snow report
pam w, I'm a teacher so no unfortunately. Sad
snow conditions
brian,
Sounds worthwhile, do they do shorter reciprocity? Is Sierre a better base?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Garethjomo.

I have done this, staying in Aime and covered Tignes, La Rosiere/La Thuile, Les Arcs and La Plagneb. It's quite good fun although it's a minimum of an hours drive from the valley to any of the resorts so add two hours commute per day to your daily plan. We didn't get arount to Ste Foy Tarantaise or Val d'Isere not to mention 3V.

BSM would appear to be a better option as you have the option of the mountain railway to Les Arcs if it snows heavily and road travel is treacherous. I'd hate to be landlocked in a valley town during a dki week.

Skibb
ski holidays
Do it all the time - I stay in Villaroger with friends, ski in Les Arcs (Paradiski), La Rosiere ( Embarassed ), Ste Foy, Espace Killy.....
snow report
Anything is poss with a car. I used St Gervais le Fayette for Contamies, the Chamonix valley and as far as Flaine and Courmayuer.
Load up the car and go.
It can get expensive if you have to mess around with day passes because the resorts aren't linked by lift company.

Often do road trips with just an short stay booked and then zoom off whereever we fancy when we fancy. If you do this, avoid huge places with high lift charges as dailies can get expensive and what you save on hotel rates down the valley, you lose on convenience and passes.
BSM would be perfect in a lot of ways though.

We normally do a 2 weeker and have about 3 bases, you can get fed-up with moving on and you can waste days like this so plan it when you need a rest from skiing.

I'll be doing a Swiss trip and a LG/BSM trip this year, hopefully
snow conditions
Guvnor wrote:
Do it all the time - I stay in Villaroger with friends, ski in Les Arcs (Paradiski), La Rosiere ( Embarassed ), Ste Foy, Espace Killy.....

If I was goign to do this I'd stay somewhere with skiing on my doorstep eg Ste Foye, Villaroger but with other resorts within an easy commute

Serre chevalier again with a commute to ADH. Les Duex alps, milky way and la grave is another option

this is also what you effectively do when you stay in chamonix.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
T Bar, I think it has to be at least 6 days and yes, Sierre would certainly be a bit closer to everything (although Sion is only 10 minutes along the motorway).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy