Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BBC archive from 1949

Poster: A snowHead
A mate just sent me this...

https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1350782924782710786?s=09
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@adithorp, that's a nice find! Smile Any aviation experts know what type of twin engined aircraft was used in the film?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
vickers viking
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Which airport did they take off from?

And look at how easy it was to walk in ski boots! I remember that from my fist ski holiday in the 1970`s!

@adithorp, Thank you posting that.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No problem wearing your ski boots on the Plane then....!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wonder what the cost was, as a % of average wage, over 100?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@adithorp Fantastic. Good find. I would think that they left from Croydon back then - the buildings visible look like the Croydon airport buildings, quite Art Deco?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@adithorp, wonderful. Great find.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is that skiing looked like? just small ride from the hill, this is really cross country skiing in the mountains is it? ski lifts?
would love to read more about skiing as winter hols in the 1949.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ed48 wrote:
.. would love to read more about skiing as winter hols in the 1949.
I guess not very many people did it, you'd have had to have a very rich family.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Loganberry wrote:
@adithorp Fantastic. Good find. I would think that they left from Croydon back then - the buildings visible look like the Croydon airport buildings, quite Art Deco?

It`s fascinating looking back, at what was meant by an airport Laughing Even thinking back in my memories to the late 60`s onwards!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ed48, Simone de Beauvoir writes about being towed up by tractors.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quick google shows me that average weekly wage in uk 1949, was 7 pounds per week.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
It's fascinating looking back, at what was meant by an airport. Even thinking back in my memories to the late 60`s onwards!
Never mind the 60s! There was an unbelievable UK airport (read a few Portakabins...) that was used for scheduled ski flights in 2008/09 by the short-lived Thomsonfly.... Namely Coventry Airport Very Happy

We enjoyed a weekend trip from there (with a second one cancelled by the airline) - but really couldn't believe the set up. Basic would be an understatement...I think the airport was found to be operating commercial flights without planning permission - or something like that.

Good service while it lasted though.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The BBC had exclusive footage of the 1949 British Ski Championships which came from Grindelwald in Switzerland. As the winners of the straight and slalom events were decided.

↗ Originally broadcast 14 January 1949

https://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/the-1949-british-ski-championships/z62x8xs
snow report
@ed48, In these present days of travel restrictions I could not help but notice the last comment relating to travel restrictions! Times have changed, yet not changed Very Happy
ski holidays
ed48 wrote:
The BBC had exclusive footage ...

They also have this on Aviemore from 1970. You can see the end of the sixties styles, and accents are closer to modern times, as is some of the video work.

The first of the "learners" they show on piste is wearing what appears to be a suit and tie.
The head of that particular ski club is wearing a helmet, years before those became fashionable.

Snow conditions look good, although the crowds look pretty bad.
snow conditions
Bob wrote:
vickers viking

Thanks. According to Wikipedia it was derived from the Vickers Wellington bomber. Quote"Of the 163 aircraft built 55 aircraft were lost in accidents between 1946 and 1965 with a total of 343 fatalities." Shocked Civil aviation had a slightly different safety record in the 1940s and 1950s.....

Edit: I was completely unaware of the bomb incident aboard a BEA Viking aircraft in 1950. The pilot who managed to land the aircraft after the bomb exploded was awarded the George Medal.
http://youtube.com/v/V1GoS7Vg_us
latest report
Pre Gortex , pre helmets, pre apps to measure speed and pre carving skis.
snow conditions
The Overseas Currency Allowance of £35; it hadn't gone up much when I first went to Ibiza in 1969! Very Happy
ski holidays
LOTA wrote:
The Overseas Currency Allowance of £35; it hadn't gone up much when I first went to Ibiza in 1969! Very Happy

ah yes, the £ used to buy a lot more...
snow conditions
Bob wrote:
LOTA wrote:

ah yes, the £ used to buy a lot more...

It didn't really; we just had to be really frugal with our spending!
latest report
@philwig,

In the early 70's Edinburgh University Ski Club (EUSC) went to Aviemore for weekend trips. We learned at Hillend the dry ski slope just south of Edinburgh and we also went on day trips to Glenshee.

In the film you can see the old "White Lady chairlift" which you rode up sitting sideways carrying your skis in your hands. You can also see that they are using "Cable Bindings" and probably leather ski boots. Step in bindings and plastic boots were just coming into use.

We flew on a De Havilland Comet 4B 4 engined jet to Munich on a EUSC trip to Solden.
snow conditions
What great videos - how so much has changed!

http://youtube.com/v/dMHrNxNVRlI

http://youtube.com/v/sMiuZqurv8c
ski holidays
welshflyer wrote:
... In the early 70's Edinburgh University Ski Club (EUSC) went to Aviemore for weekend trips. We learned at Hillend the dry ski slope just south of Edinburgh and we also went on day trips to Glenshee.

In the film you can see the old "White Lady chairlift" which you rode up sitting sideways carrying your skis in your hands. You can also see that they are using "Cable Bindings" and probably leather ski boots. Step in bindings and plastic boots were just coming into use.

We flew on a De Havilland Comet 4B 4 engined jet to Munich on a EUSC trip to Solden.
Sölden must have been somewhat different then.

People at Durham University did the same thing a decade later, although it would be tricky for science students as they had
to miss a full half day of lectures plus an afternoon lab session. And find some rich parents to fund it.
ski holidays
@philwig,

Yes, Solden was different it wasn't a James Bond film location in the 70's. I believe the top cable car station was used in the 007 film Spectre.

The EUSC started going to Murren on a regular basis in the 70's which of course was the film location for the 007 film On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy