Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff accommodation recommendations please (the closer to the slopes AND the shops the better)!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone and happy winter to you all!!

My friend and I are looking to go to Banff in February '08. We want to stay in a reasonable but luxurious hotel, close to the slopes (i'm aware there can be up to 30minute bus transfers) but also close to the village itself and the shopping/nightlife areas.

Is this possible????!!

All recommendations gratefully received, even if you recommend accommodation that is not what I'm looking for but somewhere you had a good experience.

Thanks so much

Inga xxx
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Most places are within easy walking distance of the town, Banff Springs is 15 minutes walk away from the very centre-easy staggering distance home!! Banff International is even closer in and I have stayed there on one occasion-it was reasonable 4 star accomo. Banff springs is excellent though. All the shopping and the nightlife is within a 2 block radius so your never so far away.

Im goinig for 3 months in January Very Happy

Ross
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Banff Springs is one of the last drop-off points for the bus, so NOT nearest the slopes. It also may be a 15 minute stroll sometimes, however when it's minus 20 it can feel like weeks and you'll be praying to all gods for a passing taxi (at least I did!).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've stayed in a few hotels in Banff and I havn't been in a better one! Not nearest the slopes but where in Banff is terribly near the slopes? Average day time temp in Feb is around -1 so minus 20 is a rareity especially in February in Banff anyways, up on Goats Eye can be very different.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Inga, Banff Springs it is. Fantastic setting and facilities.

Not centre of town and not near the slopes but nowhere in Banff is. If you want near the slopes, stay at Lake Louise (and die of boredom in the evening).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Inga, Caribou was lovely, on main street, bus stops right outside.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I second Helen's recommentations, but it's about 10 minutes' walk from the shops, and there are no slopes near any of the Banff hotels.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I third Helens recommendation, or any of the hotels around the Caribou. The further away from town along Banff Avenue you get the less luxurious they become
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
holidayloverxx, unless you go all the way along to the rimrock which im told is excellent! the voyager with the "liquour" store underneath looks, eh, classy!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mount Royal is smack in the middle of town, and very quick exit to the slopes from there. That's were I booked again for this year

also found out they have free wired internet access in all rooms. Take yor own network cable though as they charge $10 a day to hire one.

Park Royal was my 2nd choice, last stop before the bus leaves town, although last year the stop was busier than the ski hub stop opposite the mount royal. Park lodge has wifi access for $10 per day for those geeks who can't be offline that long
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
you should be aware that all the slopes are bus ride from banff

Norquay - 10min
Sunshine - 20min +20min on gondola
Louise - 45 minutes on bus
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rossfra8, yep - its where the teenage ski clubs stay Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx, i dont like the look of that place although the liquor store does appeal to my darker side! Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rossfra8, totally agree - I normally stay at the Inns of Banff (for easy access to Bumpers for a steak dinner - yum)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Inga, I can totally vouch for the Banff Springs, as far as luxury goes. It's not very close to the town for walking in the -20 temperatures but it's only a couple of minutes away in a cab and the hotel has lovely patio heaters laid on for you while you're waiting for said cab. The hotel has its own shops so in a kind of way you are close to the shops Toofy Grin. It also has a plethora of bars and restaurants; all designed to keep you in the hotel grounds.

With regards to the ski bus, the Banff Springs, although it is the last dropoff, on the other hand, it is the first pickup which means you'll have your pick of the seats and you won't be involved in the scrum around the Ski Hub stop.

I'm also posting to say that I'll be there in 4 days time for a whole month of snow-related japery Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy . Unfortunately, it will be the Y Mountain Lodge for me and not the Springs.
ski holidays
The Rimrock and the Banff Springs are the 2 most luxurious but are out of town, closely followed by the Delta Royal Canadian on Banff Ave. There is the Mount Royal, Brewsters and Banff Park Lodge in the town area. Most of the rest are on Banff Ave ranging from a 3 min walk to a 15-20 min walk at the far end. Most of them are pretty similar, the thing to watch for is the underoccupancy supplement for 2 in a room, some charge a lot more than others.
The closest to the shops etc on Banff Ave is The Banff International with the Ptarmigan next door. Have a look at a map of Banff and read some reviews on Trip Advisor.

Rossfra8, We arrived on March 8th 04 and it was -28, left 10 days later and it was +10. Have also skiied there the March before that and had 2 days of -36/-38 with wind chill, so you never know!!!!!!!
ski holidays
Rossfra8, it was -26+ the last week of November last year too. So these rareities have a habit of happening quite frequently Shocked. To quote Terry Pratchett, "Million-to-one chances happen nine times out of 10." Toofy Grin
snow report
thewahwah, Have a fab time and don't mess the snow up too much as we'll be there in 7 weeks. Very Happy
snow report
We stayed in banff 3 nights and lake louise 3, the drive is 45 mn. from banff to lake louise. There is not much night life but threre is a ok bar in the hotel with kareoke.It can get kind of wild but not much else. I was glad we spilt it up between sunshine and lake louise, because there was a big storm and the roads were closed we skied fresh powder all day for 2 days,if we had stayed in banff we would have been stuck in town.Snow was great no lift lines you will love it. Also the temp was -30 F
snow report
Rossfra8, cheers fella. I will try my best. Have spent the last 2 months watching the webcams. This time last year they were 1m at base so they're nearly there. I'm currently praying for more snow. snowHead
snow report
thewahwah wrote:
Rossfra8,To quote Terry Pratchett, "Million-to-one chances happen nine times out of 10." Toofy Grin
I like that quote alot! im gonna use it more often thanks! Yeh can't see Banff having a lack of snow! If they average day time temp is -1 it means more oftent aht not its going ot be around that, a little higher, a little lower, with some extreme days either side! its just your luck, hey at least when its -30 it snows instead of rains!
ski holidays
Hi,

I have been to Banff twice in two years (for 2 weekseach time), first stayed at Brewsters Mountain Lodge, which was great and just off the main street and about a 4 minute walk to the Banff Park Lodge where the bus picks you up etc. also has a nice restaurant on the premises.

Second time, more cost efficient holiday stayed at the BOW VIEW LODGE, this is the sister hotel to the Banff Park lodge, sits behind it and on the Bow View River, which is obviously frozen but its a nice place to walk around. You can use the Banff Park Lodge (BPL) facilities as well, like their pool and Jacuzzi etc. but for a cheaper price than actually staying at the BPL.

An amazing place, I love Banff, even the coach journey to Sunshine is all worth it. Try spot some animals on the way, and warm up on the coach after a hard days skiing / boarding!!

I an envious, wish I was going this year, family wedding in a far away place is going to make me resort to a 4 day quick get away maybe to Meribel!

Enjoy it !!
ski holidays
Inga,

I see you're a fellow bean.

In downtown Banff, I've stayed in the Mount Royal, Banff International and the Ptarmigan. I've also stayed at the Inns of Banff, which is right up at the top end of Banff Avenue (the main drag) and a bit of a trek into the centre.

The Mt. Royal is as central as you can get. The Banff International and the Ptarmigan are next door to each other and also central, just over the road from Safeways. All three have a good standard of accomodation and facilities.

The Banff Park Lodge comes very highly recommended by all I know who've stayed there. It's also conveniently located for everything in town. It's where I'd choose if I was thinking "reasonable but luxurious"

I've heard conflicting stories about the Banff Springs: it certainly has luxurious accommodation (for a price) it als has rooms that have been described as "poky" at the economy end of the spectrum. It's not central, being as far a walk from the centre as the Inns of Banff are in the other direction, but it is spectacular in a kind of megalomaniac Scottish Gothic way.

Wherever you choose, you'll find Banff is a great place, the mountains are spectacular and the Canadians (if you meet any: Banff is full of Aussies and Kiwis) friendly.
ski holidays
Also be carefull Banff is the STI capital of Europe as my brothers (canadian) room mate put it haha!! There is a new "all suite" hotel which has just opened in Banff, looked as if it was coming on nicely at the end of April!
snow conditions
For something close to town and non commercial try this www.buffaloberry.com. I have it all booked out 22nd to 29th December for my wedding though. Very Happy

Awesome house, awesome location, great hosts, can jump on the bus at the Ptarmargin to the slopes. 2 minute walk to the stop.
snow report
For something close to town and non commercial try this www.buffaloberry.com. I have it all booked out 22nd to 29th December for my wedding though. Very Happy

Awesome house, awesome location, great hosts, can jump on the bus at the Ptarmargin to the slopes. 2 minute walk to the stop.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy