Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'Huez....

Poster: A snowHead
.... will be open on Saturday. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I might post some pictures later.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lizzard, Saw that on their website! I assume this is opportunism due to this weeks snow? how many lifts do you expect they'll open? very exciting but got me wondering where the staff will suddenly spring from at short notice assuming it wasn't a long term plan/guess. I expect some of the locals have finished their summer jobs. Enjoy & please please post some piccies to keep me going.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And here we are:

Mid station, with the usual low-lying clouds lurking in the valley.

View from the top of the DMC.

Grandes Rousses massif from mid station.

Beautiful sunny weather and probably below zero all day. The electronic pass system is up and running on the Signal and DMC lifts. There has probably been about half a metre of snow, and although it has evidently been blown about a bit, the main run from 2700 to resort is in very good condition - some icy patches and a few bits covered in those nasty balls of ice which the piste machines can throw up, but nothing to complain about in mid November. Hirondelles was open but rather nasty, with lots of ice and some bare patches at the top.

Off piste was powder with a bit of a crust, and the depth was patchy - in some places there were grass and rocks just below the surface and in others a decent depth of snow with no risk of trashing your equipment of choice.

I spent most of the time messing about on the first section of the DMC - I am SO out of practice! Sad I also got all my money's worth at once out of my helmet, following what felt like a double somersault, landing on the back of my head with my feet pointing up the hill. I have no idea how this happened. Laughing

Lots of fun, back up for a bit tomorrow with Mr L (his day off).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard, you lucky mare ! enjoy your day, the pics are making me drool Razz
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard, After the PSB the sight of a running chairlift makes me salivate. Hope you had as good a day as it looks.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, Great pics, thanks!! Amazed at what looks like pretty decent snow cover this early, just hope it hangs around to form a good base for the early season mega dumps which are surely just around the corner! - looks pretty quiet too!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard, is that open 'fiull time' or just weekends
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rayscoops, it was open this weekend because of the snowfall - will be closed during the week, and will open next weekend only if there is more snow, I believe.

Today was much icier than yesterday, and quite crowded (both predictable), so only did a few runs. Was also boarding like a total wombat and had a sore neck following yesterday's headstand.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wel that's just not fair . . .
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm arriving in one week for a whole season Very Happy cannot wait.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oli_b, welcome to snowHead If you post photos through your stay you can make us all jealous Going green we won't mind.

I may see you in April Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oli_b, you will have a HUGE season. (Touches wood furiously.)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard, Looks fab. Very excited and hoping that this means we get some good days on the mountain in early December before our staff arrive and the real work starts!! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
katski wrote:
Lizzard, Looks fab. Very excited and hoping that this means we get some good days on the mountain in early December before our staff arrive and the real work starts!! Very Happy
I'm coming for the season also and I can't freakin wait. Those pictures are awesome. I'm getting that lump in the stomach feeling I always get when first arriving at a mountain. That's cowdoo that some of you are skiing already though. ENVY

And also, what was this reference to work all about?????
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lasnico17, you work, people pay you and you use the money for eating and living somewhere. In between the work bits, you go skiing etc. All of this means you don't have to sit in a grim office in the UK all winter.
snow report
So it's not just all play eh?
snow conditions
lasnico17, is anything?
snow report
lasnico17 where are you working? im at the belle aurora hotel. ill keep y'all updated with pictures.
snow report
oli_b, that's 'Belle Aurore', young man. One minute walk from the lift, higher than average chance of scoring for a single room, handy for local bars and Captain Sandwich.
snow report
well, university was definitely more play than work, but yea, real life is kind of a drag. im working at the hotel au chamois d'or. definitely put up the pics. Lizzard, what does "higher than average chance of scoring for a single room" mean?? I guess I'm lost on the Sandwich thing too. Puzzled
latest report
lasnico17, Laughing Laughing I know nothing about the Chamois d'Or's staff accommodation, or even if they provide any, so you may ignore the single room comment - it pertained to the Belle Aurore. Captain Sandwich is a late-opening takeaway place near the swimming pool - you will undoubtedly get to know it well.
latest report
Lizzard, apparently they house me right in the joint. it sounds like a pretty cush job set up. the owners are new, they are two brothers. im sure i will get to know the sandwich place too. its funny how we have different words or sayings to describe things. is there anything cool near where where I will be at? or am i in between the church and the senior citizen center?? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
I popped up on Saturday too, Nice to get above the clouds that were covering Grenoble. The only downside was that the DMC kept stopping - though not unusual I suppose. Nice to get back on the skis, especially this early. Didn;t bother on Sunday as I thought it might be busy and some areas were getting a bit polished.

Good to see the new hands free system in operation; surprised it wasn't a reusable card though.

Great pictures Lizzard,
ski holidays
a thousand apologies for the slight spelling mistake lizzard Very Happy , do you live there then? 6 days to go. im buying a new board/bindings and boots when i get there, have you any advice on the best place to get one bearing in mind i dont have a huge amount of money to spend.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 22-11-07 14:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
lasnico17, you're directly opposite the main lift, and next door to the hotel Beausoleil, which is teeming with young British staff. Ten minute walk to the main bit of town.

oli_b, Planet Surf is a good place for board gear, but shop around when you get here - there are plenty of shops. Most places will let you pay in instalments over the season.
snow report
Lizzard, is it snowing down to ADH resort level today?
ski holidays
hd,

http://livecam.feratel.at/cam/alpedhuez/14010/index.jsp?content=streaming&design=feratel4&language=en&referer=feratel

Sad
ski holidays
hd, no idea - I'm in Bourg d'Oisans. It's raining down here, but we're only at 720m.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It seem that there is some good snow now again making up for the previous rain that washed away some snow.
snow conditions
Snowing most of the day today - lots of it in resort, even more on the hill, some amazing cloud effects.
snow report
Cool well am coming up with a friend to Alpe d'Huez on the second of Feb for a week. I'm an experienced and confident skier on all runs and most conditions and my friend is more of beginner so he'll probably be having lessons in the mornings and I'll be skiing with him in the afternoons. Anybody up for a high speed blast in the mornings is more than welcome to join me Very Happy
ski holidays
Dr. Will, good resort for that sort of mixed ability - Plage des Neiges restaurant is a good lunchtime meeting place.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Dr. Will, good resort for that sort of mixed ability - Plage des Neiges restaurant is a good lunchtime meeting place.

Sounds good, is that at the 2100 point at the end of the first stage of the main gondola? If so it seems really well located. Am staying at the Hotel Castillan which seems quite close to both the lobster pot lift to access the Rond Point and the Grande Sure chairlift that goes to the top of the Signal so we should get a lot of skiing in Very Happy
snow conditions
Dr. Will, the restaurant at 2100 is the Chantebise - decent food, great sun terrace, snack hut outside. The Plage des Neiges is slightly further down - ski down a bit from mid station, hang a right under the bridge.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Dr. Will, the restaurant at 2100 is the Chantebise - decent food, great sun terrace, snack hut outside. The Plage des Neiges is slightly further down - ski down a bit from mid station, hang a right under the bridge.

Cheers, can't wait to get out there- the Signal webcam this morning looks as if it's midseason, there looks to be so much white stuff around!
ski holidays
Mattmulkeen wrote:
hd,

http://livecam.feratel.at/cam/alpedhuez/14010/index.jsp?content=streaming&design=feratel4&language=en&referer=feratel

Sad

Definite improvement on the streaming cam now Very Happy
latest report
Hotel Castillan which seems quite close to both the lobster pot lift...

Take a good book if you plan to use the lobstor pots Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Red Dave wrote:
Hotel Castillan which seems quite close to both the lobster pot lift...

Take a good book if you plan to use the lobstor pots Madeye-Smiley

On the first day I'll race my friend Andy to the Rond Point- I think I'll win by taking the Gde Sure chairlift then skiing down rather than taking the lobster pots Wink
snow conditions
Snow reports now updated to a 50 cm base and 78 cm at the top, it's not going to melt in a hurry with some more on the way in the next few days! Very Happy NehNeh
ski holidays
Dr. Will,

"some more" - that could be a bit of an understatement snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy