Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What Lense Colour

Poster: A snowHead
Ok had some nice Oakley XLJ sunglasses bought by Mrs B this year with Gold Irid lenses. Now these lenses can be changed really easily and are readilly avalble for about £44.00 over here. What colour lense do you think I should be looking for or do you think the original would be sufficent.

If its flat light conditions I have a orange Oakley pair of goggles and a new North face yellow lense behind a mirror which I havn't tried yet but am hopefull this will do the job.

What are you lot using?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oakley Lens Chart

Covers
Contrast effect
Protection Index
Conditions for use

http://www.steptoes.co.uk/oakley-eyewear/TransChart/0.html
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Forget the charts - look at the results:

http://oakley.com/pd/1331#lens_tints for goggles, or http://oakley.com/pd/3276/10357 for glasses
[Edit]Changed the glasses range to the correct one![/edit]

The glasses page has a range of scenes, and both have a drop-down button to change lenses so you can see the effect.

Paul.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you want the simple version: yellow or orange for flat light, and as you already have those, you're fine. Gold Iridium will be fine for the sunnier weather.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dark for sunny conditions, yellow or orange for flat light, clear for night skiing. In the last few seasons I've used a range of brands (Oakley, Rudy Project, Smith, Dragon, POC, Spy, iirc) and none of them seemed to be especially better than any of the others.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PhilG, just be carefull with the Gold Iridium coating or any other Iridium coating for that matter, completely wrecked mine (Oakley A Frames in a soft case in a back pack) last ski trip with just a minor tumble. Just invested in a non coated VR28 lens (and a semi-rigid case) which should prove a little harder wearing and more useable in bright/mixed light (scattered clouds) conditions.

For flat light, can't really beat the Hi Yellow lens.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Best snow lenses bar none are mae by Peak Vision in the USA - only in sunglasses ..the lens is vermillion nut the lens is in 2 zones....forget lens coulur...check these out...no other brand has this technology...and the lens material is a special plymer called NXT...all the others are just plastic polycarbonate..oakleyt for suer are plastic..nxt has the same optical qlty as glass...i bought a few pairs in Colorado and they are stunning for skiing, driving and cycling...any light...I don't know where you can get them in europe though.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not a big fan of skiing with sunglasses however for oakley goggles (which I guess use the same tint/material Puzzled ) I use a pink iridium all around which is designed slightly more towards flat light conditions. Gold and Black iridium let in the least amount of light, along with fire iridium so definately most suitable for really really bright days.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hofmeister, lol, did the same myself last month - have fire iridium, yellow HI and VR28, and the carry case Smile Crowbars rather than A-frame though
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I never even considered that lens colour would favour certain conditions - in my family one child has orange, one child has grey, and I think I have mirror coated grey lenses.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yes i've heard pink iridium is best for as wide a range as possible.

oakley website says low to medium light....so better than goggles for just very low visibility or very bright light.

however....my friend has just recommended i look at the Spy range.

WOW

they rock! loving the signature ones.....lol.

anyone know where i can buy them in les gets or morzine??

sarah
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just swapped out my normal black iridium that I run in in my half-jackets for some gold iridium polarised for skiing and they were fantastic in L2A.
Supposedly increase contrast in flat light too, though we didn't have any snowHead
I found the yellow that were in my Wisdoms too glary, even in overcast flat. Swear by Oakley though, so just got some Gold goggle lenses but not had chance to try 'em.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Folks here are talking about flat light, etc. and how different coloured lenses make things better or worse. Exactly how do the different colours help surely you can see through them all?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
why do you need to know why it works, surely its more important to just know it works
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, its all about the different wavelengths of light which are allowed through or blocked, either by the tint or by the polarisation of the lenses. The main areas where they matter are in very bright light, where the lenses should cut out all UVA/UVB, and about 70-80% of the visible light so that you can see without squinting (without this, you strain your eyes, and eventually go "snow blind"), and in low contrast, where the tint helps to boost the contrast level so that you can see where you are going, and more importantly, you can tell which way is up, and whether there are bumps in front of you. Without goggles or shades, or with the wrong lenses, you'll either struggle or your vision will be so bad that your balance goes as well through loss of the horizon, and you end up falling a lot.
ski holidays
graeme, I'm a scientist and because of this yes,ousekjarr, I know how certain lenses block certain wavelengths, and in the case of polarising lenses block out either all the horizontal or all the vertical wavelengths. I was more interested in what happens to what you look at because of this and why it was useful on with snow. Having only ever worn one colour, I can't say I wondered about whether I was seeing enough of the snow and the features in it. So from what is being said the different colours can help you see dips and bumps for example, by increasing the contrast between the two so the shadows are darker and therefore make is more obvious that a feature is there, Yes?
ski holidays
Cool

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 17-11-07 2:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Hi, Madeye-Smiley
Complete newbie to all things snowy, so please be gentle !

I understand the principles behind why different lenses work with different conditions, but the problem I have is knowing what the conditions will be like when I go !
We're heading to Bansko for a 1st time ski holiday on 5th Jan,and have no idea what to expect with lighting.

Can one of you experienced snowheads give me any tips please ?
Thanks
Carla x
snow conditions
could someone edit the thread title to read "lens" please it really bugging me- sorry
ski holidays
carla, welcome to snowHeads Smile

It's impossible to say this far in advance what the weather will be like and what would be the most appropriate eyewear. If you could afford to have a pair of sunglasses with a dark tint and a pair of goggles with a yellow tint you will then be able to cope with all conditions. The sunglasses will be good for sunny weather, and the goggles will be good for overcast weather and will also be invaluable if it is snowing while you are there (snowflakes can flick into your eyes and can be very distracting).
ski holidays
carla wrote:
but the problem I have is knowing what the conditions will be like when I go !Carla x

Carla, if you solve that one you'll be very popular! If you assume it may snow or it may not, or it could be dull, or sunny, or something else, you'll be ok Wink
Oh, and welcome, always nice to have a few more Yorkshire folk around Very Happy
ski holidays
carla, don't get too hung up on lenses and tints - in most cases, a single pair of goggles is all you need, if you avoid the extremes. They'll work well in most conditions, but when it is very bright you may be more comfortable in a decent pair of shades, and if you plan to ski at night, you'll notice a big difference if you have specific lenses for this.

When I bought my first goggles, I picked up the first pair which looked reasonable and which were within my budget, and I got away with it for 3 seasons before I decided to change them. One word of advice - most people seem to buy goggles in a shop with artificial light at normal ambient levels, but want to use them outdoors in strong sunlight with a lot of white around, so don't be afraid ask them if you can try them with a strong light, or better still if you are in a resort with snow on the ground and you;re shopping in daylight, ask if you can take them outside.
latest report
Jerry wrote:
carla wrote:
but the problem I have is knowing what the conditions will be like when I go !Carla x

Carla, if you solve that one you'll be very popular! If you assume it may snow or it may not, or it could be dull, or sunny, or something else, you'll be ok Wink
Oh, and welcome, always nice to have a few more Yorkshire folk around Very Happy
He,he Very Happy !

What I meant was , was it more likely to have lower light conditions ,say in January, than it would have in March ! Blush
And thanks for the welcome Jerry. A Barnserlee lad,sithey ! We're in Wakey,so not to far from you.
snow report
It's just a bit daunting buying all the gear for 4 of us !
I managed to get some real bargains at TK MAXX( nasty experience though !) and got a nice cross jacket for hubby and Roxy jacket for teenage daughter, but been stiched up like a kipper with fake Spyder gear off a well known auction site for my son.

Must admit, I am on a tight budget really,as this ski holiday was a spur of the moment booking,but it was so cheap that we just had to book !
Didn't think about Christmas etc....
snow conditions
I've worn my persimmon lenses in very bright conditions and whilst being far from perfect they were usable. Great for flat light though.
latest report
Cheers for all the posts. I guess I shall just stick with what I have.

The site showing the effect of the lens is great, shame that the vision isn't the same on both sides though so you gat a real effect rather than the one with the lens in being helped some what by it being in shade that side.
ski holidays
bigtoe, I don't know if you realise, but you can move the dividing line between the with/without lens, so if you want to see the split in the middle of the sunny bit (or of the shady bit), you can.
snow conditions
the first goggles I bought were not for low light, and on the first cloudy/snowy day I could not make out the contours of the piste at all, so I bought some low/lower light goggles and vis was much better. I tend to carry carry a pair of shades for bright spring hols type weather though
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy