Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time buying skis and boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I live in the U.K and have limited access to snow. I have been skiing 3 times before, once for a week in Canada and two times in Austria, both for a week at a time. The last time I went was 2 years ago now, and I have just rekindled my passion for skiing by going to Xscape in Castleford. Not very big, but the best a student in Yorkshire is going to do.

Anyway, enough with the essay. The time has come for me to buy skis and boots( i think) as I want to step up my involvement in skiing. I reckon I am beginner-intermediate level (was doing mostly black diamond runs my last time out), but I have never been off-piste. I am interested in freestyle skiing, but I don't want to limit myself to the park, as I want to explore the mountains, and go off-piste to try and find some powder. I am looking at twin-tipped skis, as it is freestyle that most interests me.

So what would you recommend to an intermediate first time buyer, looking for freestyle skis that can be taken pretty much anywhere?

Also, do height and weight matter? I am 5ft 11" and 70-75kgs, how do I measure my skis?

Thanks for all the help!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hi and welcome to Toofy Grin san j
get the boots but hang fire on the skis, demo a few next time you are away and get the one that wink at you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
San-J, Hi mate. What jbob, said about the boots but if you're getting into jibbing then yes get yourself a pair of twins. I'd keep an eye out for some 2nd hand twins to start with even if it's just for your first season as they'll get pretty wrecked as soon as you hit the rails.

Always good to keep and eye out for ex-demo or old stock that you can get on sales or if you really want to splash out get to an Ellis Brighams test that they're doing arround the UK so you can try a couple of different skis.

Also pick up a copy of the Fall line buyers guide. They have tested a good range of park skis.

I'm nearby Castleford myself so if you want to try any of mine I'm more than happy to meet you there.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy