Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

advice on scheffau

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all - first post so please go easy!!!!!!

my family are off to scheffau over the new year week and I wondered if anyone can offer some advice on a couple of things .....
any recommendations on rental shops? there appears to be a couple but has anyone got any good or bad experiences? (we're a 'second time' family in terms of experience).
does the ski school do lessons on new year's day - they did in soldeu last year but think have read somewhere that scheffau don't? will the slops still be open? has anyone done private lessons in scheffau?

many thanks in advance Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alanp, Welcome to snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alanp, we stayed in Scheffau some years ago together with our daughter (early teens then) and a friend. We were in the Hotel Alpin which was rather disappointing (half-way up the main road on the right as I recall). The ski rental shop was close by and was equally disappointing, fobbing us off with sub-standard skis. Don't let them do this to you. The queue for the gondola up each morning was rather long, but everyone dispersed at the top and the queues weren't too bad. We were there in February and there was plenty of snow on the top, although the run down was rather bare so we took the gondola. Group ski lessons were OK and they must do private lessons. The lessons were shorter than usual most days, but on one day each group went for a tour around the Skiwelt area. I seem to remember the booking office is at the top of the mountain, but there may be a second office in the village. Our daughter in particular had a great time. I would be surprised if they don't run lessons on New Year's Day and it is unthinkable that the lifts won't be open. We have done New Year elsewhere in Austria and it was business as usual. Have a great time.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
alanp

We have been to scheffau many times and always stayed at the Alpin- we really like the hotel.

Where are you staying - there are a few ski hire shops to choose, but it depends where your hotel is.

The Alpin has a ski hire shop under the hotel, it is much cheaper to book in advance through the skiset website than to book when you get there.

We had private lessons a couple of times using this ski school, we emailed in advance to book our private lessons.
http://www.skischule-scheffau.com/. This is also a really good ski school for the children. As Derek says there is an office at the top of the mountain near the gondola as well as one in the centre of the village.

There is already a lot of snow in scheffau - the website has good webcams -http://www.skiwelt.at

We have always been in January and have never had bad queues for the lifts - I can't comment on how busy it will be at new year

Hope you have a good time
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alanp, Welcome to snowHeads!

Despite having been to Scheffau I can't answer either of your questions....that was the last time we let ourselves be ripped off by a TO so we just rented where they put us and we didn't have any lessons! A less than helpful answer but I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks to all above for your replies - most helpful!

I have a further 'novice' query - last year we were in Soldeu and stayed about 100m from the gondola station, hence we used the rental shop and lockers at the station. In Scheffau, we're staying in the aplin, as the young 'un in the party is using the creche, so would it be better to base ourselves in the hotel area ie use their lockers and the local rental shop (which is sportshop rainer I think) or base ourselves around the gondola and use the rental shop and lockers up there? how far is the hotel from the gondola? I know there is a bus but it may also be possible to ski down - good option?

any thoughts gratefully received and thanks again in advance.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alanp, yes you can ski down if there is sufficient snow and then catch the bus back. We did this on a couple of days.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alanp, We couldn't ski down in March when we were there and the buses stopped quite early, about 17:30 iirc, so you might be better off basing yourselves round the gondola as you're going fairly early season and the snow might be less than perfect? It's a fair way from the gondola to the Alpin and all uphill on the way home...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy