Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Outdoor dry slopes when it snows - any good then?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

iblair, Matson is a God-awful slope - worse than the one at Pontypool, and that one's got a tree in the middle!

I'd have to admit there's not much variation, but it's not so bad. Pontypool is my favourite, although I here Norwich is meant to be very good. If you can ski at Pontypool, you can ski anywhere snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
iblair, I am a member at Norwich and can confirm it is excellent, not just the club but the whole set up. This is a rather one sided view as I've never skied any other dry slope but I've heard some of the racing team at the club who travel around the country also confirm this.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Since I've owned my own skis I have had a plan to ski a small hill on our farm (Dane's Hill). Although I live on the North Coast of Ireland we rarely get a decent amount of snow, mostly due to our proximity to the sea. However occassionally it does happen, a good dump every 5 years. We had alot of snow in 2001 and a great snowfall on Christmas Night 1995. We had about 8 inches of dry snow on that occassion and it lay for well over a week at low levels. It was so cold that our milking parlour kept freezing up!!!

Anyway, I make sure the field in question is well grazed down in the Autumn, I have even thought of cutting the grass with a ride on mower to make a piste. I intend to doze snow off the rest of the field (8 acres) into a piste, so the snow lasts longer. Then use the tractor as a lift.

Last year I managed a mornings skiing on a friends farm and also managed a few turns down a forestry road in the North Sperrin Mountains!!

So hoping to get a few turns on Danes Hill this year!!!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.

Above, Skiing in the Northern Sperrins, South West of Coleraine
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Mountains of Norn Iron
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
iblair wrote:
Quote:

iblair, Matson is a God-awful slope - worse than the one at Pontypool, and that one's got a tree in the middle!

I'd have to admit there's not much variation, but it's not so bad. Pontypool is my favourite, although I here Norwich is meant to be very good. If you can ski at Pontypool, you can ski anywhere snowHead

How is Gloucester not varied Puzzled

Okay, one of the slopes is pretty tame but the other, the one with the snowflex jumps/fun park at the top followed by the moguls then some steeper undulations, is one of the more varied I've seen!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy,

Quote:

Then use the tractor as a lift.

Unless you've got a buddy driving the tractor, or set up a winching system using the tractor motor, is there not a slight flaw in using the tractor to take you up the hill? Errr..........drive it up, ski down - where is tractor left for the start of the next run?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
roga, Embarassed Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, You weren't around last year when he expounded on his tractor winch system. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jerry wrote:
easiski, I'm at the office in Brentwood occasionally - is it worth a trip ? Will the t-pot work ? Wink Very Happy
PS. Didn't manage to get a photo for you but there was a class doing full-on t-pot turns at Chill Factore on Tuesday Very Happy

it only gets busy on thursday nights during the race club, pop along see what you think
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GrahamN wrote:
roga, Embarassed Laughing

LOL, and yes there's always the grass skiing too Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum,

Mrs JB has been trained in tractor driving for that very reason Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Christopher, Box Hill must have been 22 years ago big snowfall walked up 7 times and skied back down on a Sunday morning, never has a roast lunch after tasted so good.
Amazing, lots of people on sledges, plastic sheet, car bonnets etc screaming and shouting and you flew past on skis in full control.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dunk, When I was a kid (grew up in Dorking), we always used to be able to ski on Box Hill at least one day a year. Of course you can ski there on a heavy frost too - but not on your best skis!!! There were always an amazing number of bear trap bindings and wooden skis on show. Shocked Shocked Vin chaud/gluewein/mulled wine at the hotel afterwards. The best thing is to get a group together with a car and take turns to drive back down - drive right up to the cafe, nice little track in the woods, followed by a traverse at the top of the ridge and then the main hill. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A couple of years ago when it snowed -Welwyn dry ski slope shut...because of the snow...
skiqueen2
ski holidays
I remember a magic evening, skiing off-piste powder on the golf-course next to the Gloucester slope under the light of a full moon, in the winter of 81/82.

Details of this remarkable winter can be found here - Dec 81 & Jan 82 - why don't we get weather like this any more? Confused
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy