Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 Valleys Snow Watch

Poster: A snowHead
PS As per most other resorts conditions are very very good at the moment. Don't think I've ever seen the Grand Couloir with so few rocks protruding at the top. Face shots aplenty this morning, hardly anyone around, doesn't get much better than that!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mrs Patch has been skiing Meribel this weekend ..... but I haven't Sad

She reckons the conditions are the best of the season so far, beautiful weather, great snow....
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Conditions very good all round, still reasonable getting down to lower resorts... Lots (LOTS) of wind up high today so not sure how the top of Val T etc will be. Still loadsa soft stuff to be found where its been sheltered from the sun/wind. And actually not that busy in resort last week (despite awesome conditions).

Few piccies:

Bit more detail and a couple more pics at http://offpisteskiing.blogspot.com/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sweet, coming out on friday cant wait snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Few more pics from today in courch':

As per last lot there's a few more and some comment at http://offpisteskiing.blogspot.com
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret, There's stacks of snow. Meteo France are predicting another 25cm tomorrow...!!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ops

which is that couloir that you're booting up?

nice pics btw
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jedster, The 'north couloir' (or dogleg) on the Aiguille du Fruit. Its the big obvious one you see from bottom of Marmottes/Chanrossa (and most parts of 1850...).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I know where you mean. Never skied it. In fact, not sure I've ever seen anyone in it. Do you traverse in from Chanrossa then boot all the way up or can you go up the ridge from the top of Chanrossa?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Trav in from Chanrossa. You can boot all the way but if its soft it'll be a pain in the backside. Better with skins.. in good conditions you can skin the whole thing...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great conditions still at the moment with some more snow down to about 1600 today. A bit 'soapy' in places lower down, but on the whole very good. Runs down to Le Praz hanging in, but softening fast...

Nice days touring yesterday skirting round the back of the 3 Valleys, with perfect powder for all but short sections. A few piccies:

More pics at http://offpisteskiing.blogspot.com
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks like a great day. Did you have blue skies all day? Other people seem to be reporting low visibility (Les Arcs and La Rosiere IIRC).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah blue skies until about 4.30, when there was a bit of low cloud moving in from the North.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
offpisteskiing, sounds like a lot of skiing and touring in one day, well done!

did you go down past the refuge de saut on the final leg and follow the river down?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, I'd forgotten what a pain in the *rse that bit is...lots of flat to get across to where the col du fruit/col du vallon come down...then you've still got the cross-country track to go! Thats why I always prefer the Gebroulaz/Borgne combo to a straightforward Gebroulaz...
snow report
offpisteskiing, i just figured that you thought the glaciers are sketchy this time of year and you didnt want to go across them... it sure is a long skate out from the bottom of the river to mottaret wink
latest report
skimottaret, was working, hence avoiding glaciers...
Its all pretty well filled in just now on the Gebroulaz, some nice sets of tracks coming down the various branches yesterday...
latest report
offpisteskiing, ahh... gotchya.. i am very tempted to have a go at the col du fruit mottaret side on early next week by myself. is it in good shape?
latest report
Loads snow on there at the moment. If we get a few sunny days it should 'spring up' nicely.
ski holidays
Can anyone update on conditions? Have the 3V had the snow our Tignes contingent report having had the last few days? How are things holding up and/or how do conditions now compare with how they were in early March?
latest report
eng_ch, www.merinet.com
snow report
eng_ch, Having skied Val D'isere today I would say conditions are very similar. Pistes were awesome first thing this morning, nice light layer of fluff off the sides (varying base underneath) generally very good all round, though the sun of today has started to 'spring-up' the sunny slopes.
And there's (relatively) nobody here!
snow report
offpisteskiing, woohoo. We're being impulsive y'see Wink
snow report
eng_ch, more snow forecast for next week - rough rain/snow limit 1900 (from what I've heard)
latest report
great day today, really grippy snow and not slushly at all above about 1900. mount vallon and upper parts of mottaret in great nick along with chanrossa and marmotte which is a run usually in rubbish condition. just beow freezing most of the day and finished at 4:30 in 5 or 6 degrees and slush coming into mottaret but certainly skiable...
snow report
3cm of light snow early this morning a great way to wake up after our Eurostar cruise out here, cleared to a beautiful but quite chilly day, Mont de Vallon and above mottaret really nice, and some soft spring turns either side of the piste Slush only coming down into Les Menuires at 4.30, below about 1950. Doesn't look so good towards the end of the week however, with rain currently forecast on Thurs. Had a great lunch at Plan de Main above Mottaret - not cheap but really top cooking Very Happy Very Happy .
Pistes very quiet today.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 6-04-08 19:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Martin Nicholas, try the restaraunt off the combes chair and to the right. IMO the best mountain rest in the meribel valley. if you in the VT valley the Oxylys isnt cheap but isa starred michelin rest... also try la lachenel in st martin. very nice sun trap terrace and top lunch...

my snow report is limited as i came down in the blood wagon today Toofy Grin (first time i have ever got the full pistueres treatment) got knocked out with a helmet on which musta been a pretty hard hit Laughing it has been done to death but reason 99 why to wear a helmet. phyisician said it would have been a bad one without a helmet as i was out for at least 4 minutes...
ski holidays
skimottaret, Shocked hope you feel ok tonight.
Can you remember what happened?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, Blimey. Go gently tomorrow,if at all. Thanks for the tips. Have been to Oxalys before - mucho pricey
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, bit of a headache tonight and a sore neck but okay otherwise .. we'll see tomorrow Laughing

i was skiing some fast hard turns and thought it would be fun to ski off the edge and into the bottom end of a half pipe but the pipe was bigger than i remembered and caught way too much air and i f**cked up the landing. will be slowing it down a bit the rest of the week...
ski holidays
skimottaret, crikey, hope you're OK, do take it easy - I vaguely remember someone on incogskisno's helmet thread saying it was important not to hit your head again for a while.
ski holidays
Hurtle, this is my second concussion in 6 months so will definately be wearing a helmet all the time from now on. i think you may be right about subsequent blows to the head so will defo be going slower the rest of the week and may not do the telemark skiing i was hoping to try out Sad I did find it weird that i was knocked out with a helmet on but it does happen i guess.

This week was supposed to be nothing but fun with my daughter with no course pressures or practicing anything but getting ko'd and having her have to flag down a pisteure was not on the agenda Embarassed
snow conditions
skimottaret, God, you must have frightened her no end! Take care.
ski holidays
Hurtle, yeah she initially thought i was pretending to be asleep and the snoring was part of the act but when saw skis and poles no longer attached got a bit worried when i didnt wake up... she did find the constant repeating of "what happened" quite amusing as apparently i kept repeating myself 20 or so times with the medic...
snow report
skimottaret, in the wars again! POC or Giro?
snow conditions
rob@rar, giro and i must admit the only reason i put it on was cause i got bad sunburn on saturday (without a helmet on) and just put the lid on the avoid getting more sun on my balding head... I brought the POC as well cause i wanted to do some timed gates in the stad but i will give that a miss now along with tele. bummer...

interesting news on the POC.. i was in the states and stumbled across a ski shop going out of business and the guy had loads of top end stuff and tuning gear which i dutifully loaded up on. He said around 1 in 4 POC skull comp helmets he sold this year have come back with cracks in them and have had to be refunded... He also mentioned that seeing that guys POC helmet split in two on the WC downhill crash a few weeks ago didnt inspire confidence..
snow conditions
Hurtle, i hadnt read that helmet thread but just did thanks for pointing it out and the post Martin Nicholas, made on RFU guidelines made for slightly worrying reading as i was definately a grade 2 concussion and my previous one was at least a 2 1/2 sounds like i should be "benched". not to go to off topic but i dont remember anything about how it happened, the hit itself, the mornings skiing prior to the accident nor a good 10 minutes after it happened when a french guy apparently had to sternly sit me down after i kept insisting i was okay and repeatedly trying to put my skis on while falling over as i couldnt stand up properly. i did know my name but got the day wrong and i dont remember most of this afternoon afterwards either.... Skullie not good in hindsight
ski holidays
skimottaret,
Quote:

sounds like i should be "benched".

Didn't like to proffer gratuitous advice, but I immediately thought that this would indeed be prudent. Hope you have a good night's sleep, your post is timed pretty late. Check in here in the morning - people will be worried about you (well, I will anyway.)
snow conditions
skimottaret, Are you there? Seems sensible to take it steady for a while. Meanwhile clouds clearing on 5cm fresh snow down as far as I can see (beyond St Martin) - a good day in prospect!
snow conditions
Hurtle, thanks for the kind comments. didnt sleep well but only have a sore neck/ headache but generally ok and will be skiing with some ex oral surgeons today who can have a second opinion on my xrays... will definately not be running any gates this week...

Martin Nicholas, yup i am in mottaret and i can confirm your 5cm and bluebird by looking out my window at mt vallon Toofy Grin

current forecast is for daily light snow till thursday when it warms and some rain lower down. freexing levels depend on what forecast you look at so will wait and see.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy