Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Joining the dark side

Poster: A snowHead
I was thinking about taking a 'learn to board in a day' lesson at a dry ski slope.
Now I know it won't be like the real thing on the white stuff, but It'd give me an idea of the basics and I'd see if I actually like it. The main bit that worries me is alot of falling on the not so soft surface.

Any thoughts about such lessons especially on a dry slope, good or bad?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cormid80, it's hard work on a dry slope.

I'd advise waiting until you go somewhere with real snow, as it might put you off, which would be a shame because it's so much more fun than skiing Toofy Grin

If you do go wear lots of protection!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cormid80, I've done one, and it doesn't hurt too much as you dweep around at speeds only slightly over zero.

Helps getting used to the sensations involved, and how to sideslip on heels and toes, but that was about it for me.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cormid80, much easier on snow. Dry slope hurts!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't be a wuss. Learn on Dendix, hurts like hell but you'll be straight down blacks your first time on snow as its so easy by comparison.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dry slope wasn't that bad, I really enjoyed it. Great laugh, I was sh*te at it though. Embarassed
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cormid80, if you're heading out to a resort this winter you may find it better to have a couple of hours with an instructor.

Myself, the missus and a friend had a 1.5hr lesson with an ESF instructor on our first day in La Plagne and that was at 11.30am. By 1pm I was belting down blue runs (albeit with as much grace as a drunk trying to do ballet) – it can be that easy if you're wiling to put up with a few falls and a numb @rse Smile

Do it that way and then if you don't like it, you can strap the skis back on and you've only lost an hour or so and haven't had to spend a fortune on new gear.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok I'll wait 'till I'm in the resort and then see about getting some lessons out there.
Specialman are you just a really fast learner, or is Snowboarding actually so easy you can pick it up in 1.5 hours? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cormid80, I'd say he's a quick learner. It took me a total of about six hours before I could stay upright and link turns (at which point you can head for the blue runs) - this was about typical of all of us who started last season.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Get some impact shorts and go for it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cormid80, I had two separate hour lessons on a dry slope just to get the feel of bindings, board etc. and learned the basics of getting up, falling down, heel and toe slide and even a few meters of riding coming off heel/toe side to a simple straight run off. The slope was really shallow and only a few meters long so it was difficult to hurt your self, although you must wear elbow and knee pads and I would suggest @rse padding too. It is worth it for an hour or so but not a 'learn in day' session. I got the basics on plastic and then had two hours lessons (2 of us with one instructor) on snow on my first day, and by day two I was sliding down reds (not by choice), speeding down blues (but not linking turns) and the next morning I did link a few slow turns. I fell maybe 50 times a day though and was in so much pain ......... well you will find out ...... but it was worth it Very Happy

Day 1 two lessons and maybe three hours falling
Day 2 maybe 5 hours falling
Day 3 maybe 2 hours falling and linked turns on a blue

Edit
So about 8 hours for me before linked turns but I only really tried to link turns on day 3 - stupidly we were jumping on lifts and heading all over Tignes (nearly made it over to Val Shocked ) rather than actually leaning to board on nice fluffy blues, but I did find out that you can really wizz along just by doing the falling leaf Very Happy

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 16-11-07 10:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Took me roughly six hours to link turns on the dry slope. The worst bit was the bl**dy drag lift and the large queue that formed behind me Embarassed
Haven't tried it on snow but I intend to take a day out of my ski hol and give it a go, still worried about the lift though.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rayscoops, people like you are a bloody menace. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, yip Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops, I take it that since then you have actually learned to board rather than just slither about looking ridiculous? Laughing
latest report
Lizzard, yip but it has made me even more of a nuisance Very Happy
ski holidays
cormid80, don't for one minute think I was ready to be going down black runs and doing 1080s on the half-pipe, but the instructor was good (for a frog Smile) and above anything else, gave me confidence to be adventurous but safe at the same time. I made it down a blue run immediately after my lesson but not without a few sketchy moments.
snow conditions
Go boarding anywhere but wear some impact shorts,they aint pretty but they will help keep the faith. Best of luck. Toofy Grin
latest report
some of us don't need impact shorts Embarassed
snow report
You must have a soft squishy aris wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy