Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

newbie here

Poster: A snowHead
alright everyone how ya doin?
i have always wanted to snow board and my wife managed to make it happen by one of these red letter day things. i had a 2-3 hour group lesson up tamworth and all i can say i loved it, i was hoping i would be a natural but i wasnt which was a shame.
basically i have been looking more into snow boarding equipment and its all foriegn to me i understand what everything does but i dont know whats any good. i have a friend who is friends with some one that works for salomon and i have been told i can have a board but i need to choose a model but like i said i have not got a clue any ideas for a begginner who will mainly be using it in uk.

does any on go to the jon nike here im going to do a 1 2 1lesson there next month just to give me more confience is it ok there

sorry for waffling on

jake
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jakemorries, welcome to snowHead
No doubt someone will be here to help soon!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jakemorries, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Sorry, can't help with suggestions for a board.....but I can recommend getting a well fitted pair of boots.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jakemorries, welcome to snowHead

If you are starting out cheaper is better. A good general rule is that as you get better your equipment gets more expensive. When you start out you want stuff thats a bit more flexible and simple to turn. As you get better you want stuff that's stiffer so that it's stable at high speed.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ok cheers i think im getting given a salomon catalouge tomorrow to choose one but just dont know whats any good. are salomon any good????
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cheers lager and everyone else im just going to get cheap stuff 4 now just incase i can never snow board lol. do i need to get the same company bindings and boots????
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jakemorries wrote:
ok cheers i think im getting given a salomon catalouge tomorrow to choose one but just dont know whats any good. are salomon any good????

I've never ridden Salomon, but you can't really go far wrong with any of the major manufacturers.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Salomon are alright imo, not great, I wouldn't buy salomon but then I'm fussy. Avoid the prospect like the plague, the loft was alright, or at least last years one was.
Boots and bindings don't need to be the same make but it can help, flow boots and flow bindings, burton boots and burton bindings etc. They will fit better than mix and match but not that much of a difference to be honest.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jakemorries wrote:
cheers lager and everyone else im just going to get cheap stuff 4 now just incase i can never snow board lol. do i need to get the same company bindings and boots????

Burton boards need a 3 hole mounting plate. Just about everybody else use a 4 hole mounting plate. However most new bindings come with both plates. Those that don't ought to come with a 4 hole mounting plate, so if you're buying a Salomon board just about any binding you buy should fit.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ok wicked lke i aid i just dont want to spends loads just incase i dont like etc i think my friend said the board hopefully comes with bindings well fingers crossed so the could i get any boots u know of any cheap but good ones to be onest i wa looking on ebay
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jakemorries, don't buy boots you haven't tried on. If your mate can get you discount from Salomon you might as well go with that and get boots from there as well.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jakemorries, make sure your board is the right size for your height/weight/feet size- most board supplier web site will give an indication of this sort of thing and often the packaging of a board will have an indication of how heavy a rider should be for the board - simple suggestion is that heavy people need bigger boards to float better on the snow, people with big feet need wider boards and tall people need longer boards (maybe as a learner get a board that reaches your mouth/nose from the floor).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok then where do we start? Toofy Grin

Helmet...Top of the list, no point boarding with brain damage, a couple of good makes are Smith or Bern at about £60+

Impact shorts, not only stop you getting a sore aris but stop the shock you can get from your spine to your teeth when learning. £30+

Boots, spend as much as you can as they are probably the most important bit of kit. If they are not moulded to your feet you will have real problems with heal lift, blisters etc. Probably buy abroad for a slightly cheaper price. I'd choose Vans or Burton every time.

Board, I personally would not ride saloman. Even though they are fast boards they tend not to be as flexible as other makes. it all depends on what type of riding you want to do, be it park,freestyle,slopestyle,freeride,backcountry etc etc. Try to find a board that will give you an all round performance. You will also need a board that you can advance on and will not 'grow' out of when you get better at boarding. let's face it, the price of boards these days can be a major investment. Ask for lots of advice in the shop. a good shop won't steer you far wrong Smile

Bindings..Again, ask for advice but most makes are very good these days, Burton and Ride bindings are two really good makes.

Clothing, buy the best you can afford, wear loads of layers as it is better to be able to take stuff off when hot than have nothing to put on when it turns cold.

Board size, smaller for riding the park and doing tricks and longer for the mountain, so for your first board a good rule is somewhere in between. Try snowboardlengthcalculator.com

Do some research, find out what others are riding and ask Why? Don't part with your hard earned cash until you are sure it is what you want.
Snowboarding is a very rewarding and fun sport, it can take over your life Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley

A little story about helmets.... last season in Andorra a group of us finally persuaded my brother to buy a helmet because he was getting really good on his board but was also taking more risks.
We had gone on a 4 man chair on the second day and went up the hill. My wife fell as she got of the lift (as she always does) and my brother went to pick her up. As he did so the lift hit him at the back of the head and knocked him off his feet.
His helmet is probably the only reason he can still walk and talk and play with his kids.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
all these replies im loving it cos i really dont know anthing about the equipment and all your replies are helping me so much thanks.

lizzard
that is a very good idea about the boots i didnt think of that lol

rayscoops
when my friend spoke to his mate at salomon he gave him my weight and height so he knows what i need. im 6ft2 13stone and size 9 feet what type of board would i need.

paul
you have been a great help. right i went out to tkmax the other day and got some snow boarding trouses very padded wich will hopefully save my bum,and im going to get some good gloves from there 2 are tkmax boots any good?
i think the helmet is a good idea cos iwill be spending most of the time on the floor that snow boarding.
with the board the only reason why im going with salomon is because i have been offered any board for very cheap and i thought it would be ideal for me cos i dont want to spend loads. basically all im looking for in a board is a all rounder board cos i will mainly be on a dry slope and trying to get better then hopefully go on holiday when i hopefully make some friends that are interesed in snow board
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jakemorries, as a learner you should not get anything much under 160 cm long, after a few weeks boarding you would wish you got at least 163 cm and something you can learn to ride and master, that said some people like smaller boards, especially if they are into tricks etc. Your size 9 feet are probably ok for the width of most boards that are around the 160 cm length (+ or -) long and your toes should not over hang the edge of the board. Size 10 or bigger generally means a wide board, but your stance on the board (feet at a splay angle like a duck) also reduces your toes form hanging over the edge. Your weight should be ok for a 160 cm board too, but the manufacturers give a bit of guidance of typical weight of the rider for their various lengths of boards.

As a learner a stiff board is more difficult to master, but generally stiffer boards are more stable and less likely to catapult you through the air for what seems like no reason whatsoever (although this will happen no matter what board you get Very Happy but reduces in frequency as you get better Very Happy )

I struggled with hire boots the first year then bought some Burton boots the second year that have a gel inner that was heated before I put my foot in to it so that it moulded to the shape of my feet.

Also I note from another thread that Lidl has some ski/board gear so you may want to pick up some cheap snowboard socks (padded at the shin), and they even have some jackets, helmets etc., but no idea if they are any good, but for those prices you can chuck them when you get some gear that you really want.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20071122.index.ar5
snow report
I wouldn't jump straight into buying all your snowboard gear having only done 2-3hours. Especially if you are going to do some further learning on the dry slopes before you hit the real ones.

Go and hire for a week, then you'll know a) whether you even like snowboarding for real and b) you can learn a bit more about what you want from a board, see all the ranges etc

All the gear -no idea= dont fall into the trap!
snow report
Nadenoodlee,
Quote:

I wouldn't jump straight into buying all your snowboard gear having only done 2-3hours. Especially if you are going to do some further learning on the dry slopes before you hit the real ones.

Real sound advice, have a week on hire gear, If you can master that and you still want to board then you know that money you spend wont be wasted Toofy Grin
snow report
i just reliesed i do sound like a lady's front bottom only being snow boarding for 2 hours and now i want everything sorry

im just going to get some gloves tomorrow and then i will have them for my 1 2 1 lesson

but if i get offered a board for free im taking it lol
Toofy Grin cheers u lot
latest report
Point where you want to go. Your shoulder movement will shift you in a way that will link turns.If you start to fall go down just drop to your knees. Dont try to recover you will fall harder. Dont try and catch your self pull you hands in take the fall with your body. Stay limp. Act like Elvis.Elvis is loose and relaxed he's to cool to fall but if he did he would be to loose to get hurt.My wife had to take a bit of a nip to help her. IT worked You will be very sore and might not want to ride after your frist day but when you get it.There is a steeper learning curve than with skiing so your be doing blacks in know time. Maybe.

A helmet is good to. You will get slammed be ready for that. One spends alot of time on ones butt so pants with a warm seat are nice. As for boards shorter and softer is better for starting.
Good luck snowboard is more fun than skiing if you can make it past the first few days.
snow report
Also salomon boots and boards are what I ride. they rock. But boots are a personal thing every body feet are diffrent. Spend as much as you can, you get what you pay for. I like to have mine custom fitted. Most ski hills have someone ask a round maybe where you buy your boots. Buy your boots first and rent boards untill you find a board you like.
latest report
gman u make it sound simple lol

a few people have said about a helmet i will prob get one but not yet
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy