Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to stay in Serre Chevalier?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

I am in the early stages of organising a trip to Serre Chevalier in early March 08 (probably the w/c 8th March) for 6-8 people. Some of us will only ski and others are going to spend at least half the time ice climbing over in La Grave.

I'm a bit confused about whereabouts in Serre Chevalier to stay. I know there are different villages but am a bit lost beyond that. I am one of the skiers so my selfish priority is easy access to the slopes, but my boyfriend and his friends are going to want easy access to the road to La Grave. Nightlife is not a big priority beyond a few bars and restaurants and a traditional village would be preferable rather than purpose built (not sure if that applies). We're intermediate skiers.

Accommodation-wise, we'd be looking for a chalet or self-catering accommodation sleeping 6-8 people, preferably all in bedrooms.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which village to stay in and/or for particular accommodation?

Thank you very much in advance...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NatalieG, Monetier-les-Bains. Look at Ski Miquel for some chalet options that might be suitable. For s/c check out www.eurekaski.com/plus.html , they advertise a small selection of accommodation. Closest village to La Grave.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NatalieG,
Welcome to snowHead 's
Serre Chevalier is basically a number of villages set along the valley through which the main road to La Grave runs. As pointed out by Helen Beaumont, the closest and very attractive is Monetier which is about 20-25 minutes away the furthest is Briancon which is maybe 15 minutes from Monetier.
Monetier accesses it's local slopes from where you can get to the rest of the skiing, its own slopes are some of the best in the area but the biggest variety are above Villeneuve and Chantemerle. Driving from here to La Grave will take an extra 5- 10 minutes depending on where you stay. Both these areas have some attractive older bits as well as some pretty unattractive ageing 70's bits.
Briancon is bascally atown with some very reasonably priced acommodation in some very variable situations.
If your friends are keen ice climbers will they be only climbing at La Grave? I am not a climber but a friend who is keen rates the valley just to the south as having some of the best ice climbing, above Vallouise and Aillefroid I think. If they want this option as well the distances are similar to La Grave but Briancon becomes the most convenient point and Monetier the least.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The climbing is from la Grave, back down the valley further away from Serre Chevalier, or at Fournel or Fressinieres, south of Briancon. Chantemerle is halfway in between at about 20 miles from each.

Robin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks very much everyone for the welcome and the information. That's really helpful. Now I just have to look for some accommodation - have had a quick look at the Eurekaski Plus website so will have another look on there, and I've got some other leads from other topics on here.

Natalie
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Natalie Just booked for that week. this is where we are staying http://www.serrechevalier-appartements.com
Don't think they have any availiability that week. owners of these apartments have a nice looking hotel that doesn't look too expensive hotel dubaz

Here are some websites where I found other options

http://www.skiserreche.com/chaletrefuges-a/Description/description.html
www.snowmonkees.com
http://www.locserreche.com/english/
http://www.skiserreche.com/

There are a couple of nice options at the same site as helen's place http://www.skiserreche.com/accguide/Properties_to_rent/Apartments_Serre_Che_1500_6-8/apartments_serre_che_1500_6-8.html

Good luck. I enjoyed my accomodation hunt people are starting to book now
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is a lovely chalet run by Denys and Karen. Denys is head (I think) of the ESF in Chantemerle and their chalet is very near the lifts and slopes.
http://www.hannibals.co.uk/winter/accommodation/les_marmottes.html#prices
I have stayed there twice and had a great time plus excellent food and wine.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
just wondering, how accesable is it to get from the monetier ski area to the main chantermerle/Villnevue area by skiing and visa versa without using the bus. Ive never been skiing in serre che and i hope to one day
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
piste map suggests its not too hard, but proof will be in the pudding
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Christopher,
The run from Monetier to Villeneuve area is a fairly standard red mostly a really nice ski with one short section that can be tricky in poor conditions. The runs the other way are blue but a bit path like. The lifts that you have to get between the two are not the best, a lot of the lifts in the area have been modernised, these ones haven't and are a bit slow. Not difficult but can be time consuming.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks again for all the recommendations - hope to book something this week! Monetier sounds lovely but maybe Villeneuve or Chantemarle would be the more practical option (given the ice climbing is in both directions and given what T Bar has said about the lifts between Monetier and the rest of the area being a bit slow). If we stayed in Le Bez, are there any bars or restaurants there to go to in the evenings, or is it too small? I'm assuming it's more than a short walk from there into Villeneuve but maybe I'm wrong...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NatalieG,
The walk from Le Bez would not be too far about half a mile or less I would guess, I don't know about the bars or restaurants in the hamlet itself. Don't let what I have written put you off Monetier, the links are not difficult just not that quick for dotting back and forth. Monetier being highest up the valley often has the best snow in the area.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NatalieG,
T Bar,
They planned to put snow canons on 'The short section that can be tricky in poor conditions' before the start of this coming season. as yet I do not know if they have managed to do it. Also during the day there is a good free 20 minute bus service. along the valley. Whilst the lifts linking Monetier and the rest of the system could be much better, you should not let this put you off staying in Monetier.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NatalieG, There are at least two restaurants in Le Bez. I've eaten in one of them, which had big communal trestle tables and local farmhouse-style cooking - was v nice, and not just the usual fondue and tartiflette experience. Nearest bar is in the English-run hotel Grand Aigle, also in the village. Other than that, there are bars/restaurants in Villeneuve - about 10 - 15 mins walk.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
FWIW, I think SC is well kept secret and a better option than some of the mega-skiopolis'... if you can't find what you are looking for in the whole valley....jeez...!!!
snow conditions
JT, Laughing 'usine de ski' is the phrase I've heard from the French.
ski holidays
JT, no problem at all in finding what I am looking for, I'm really excited about coming to SC! It's more choosing between the options that's causing a problem if anything! You've all been really helpful (a very fruitful first post on Snowheads!) - think I just need to make a decision now. Have found somewhere to stay in Chantemerle so may well stick with that now and look forward to visiting Monetier during the week.
ski holidays
NatalieG, Can sort you out cheap ski hire shop, pm me a weekb efore you go!
latest report
NatalieG wrote:
JT, no problem at all in finding what I am looking for, I'm really excited about coming to SC! It's more choosing between the options that's causing a problem if anything! You've all been really helpful (a very fruitful first post on Snowheads!) - think I just need to make a decision now. Have found somewhere to stay in Chantemerle so may well stick with that now and look forward to visiting Monetier during the week.

Where are you staying?
snow conditions
We stayed in Le Bez last Easter and found it to be an excellent location for the skiing, but not for the apres-ski. Staying at Grand Aigle, pretty much ski in/out with a piste running past the hotel and just above a main bubble up. 2 min walk into Villeneuve which is very quiet-a couple of tourish bars (Frog) and a couple of local bars.
We were on a school trip-and we found most of our 6th formers in Chantermerle when it got dark-Yeti bar, etc. This is a 10 minute or so walk from Villeneuve.

Great ski resort-a well kept secret. My only quibble were that some of the key linking lifts were sooooooooo slow-although very few queues in first week of Easter hols.
snow conditions
dan100, at one of the snowmonkees apartments in Chantemerle. (So we'll be with the sixth formers in the bars in the evenings!). The apartments at the place you're staying look amazing - ours looks much more basic but v pleased with the price.

snowangel., thanks for the offer re ski hire, will be in touch at the end of Feb.
snow conditions
NatalieG, hope you enjoy SC and Chantemerle. There are some superb runs and options that should suit most tastes. Chantemerle's lift system is pretty good to be honest with choice of telecabin, bubble or fairly new quad (I think).

There are some reasonably good eating options during the day up at Serre Ratier (above Chantemerle) as indeed there are dotted around the slopes in the region.

As snowhound said, it's a great resort and a fairly well-kept secret.
ski holidays
NatalieG wrote:
dan100, at one of the snowmonkees apartments in Chantemerle. (So we'll be with the sixth formers in the bars in the evenings!). The apartments at the place you're staying look amazing - ours looks much more basic but v pleased with the price.

snowangel., thanks for the offer re ski hire, will be in touch at the end of Feb.

I was tempted with the larger apartment. You say basic but streets ahead of TO accomodation. Our holiday with flights and private transfers is still only about £310. Compare that to what you can get with TO this year. Hope you enjoy your trip
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy