Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Balance ball for squats

Poster: A snowHead
Don't really know where to put this post so will try here.

I've seen a exercise ball which is half moon shaped and knobbly rubber with a hard flat base that sits on the floor. You stand on it and it's really good for balance and squat exercises. I've been trawling the web but just find the big round balls. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and where to get them?

Thanks Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Beverley, I've got one. It was given to me as a present a few years ago. I'll try to find out where it came from tonight. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use one but it's at the gym... think it's a Bosu or something like that. Squats are better if you use two of 'em. One for each foot, that way you can keep feet flattish rather than have them at an awkward angle on the side of the ball.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try here.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, it's a Bosu. A few years back I got some personal training and the instructor liked to torture me on all the core strength exercise gear. I never saw anyone else use it in my 2 years at the gym. I'm sure he enjoyed making me look like a pillock, but I did notice a big improvement in fitness when I hit the slopes.

You don't need 2 (and they are a bit expensive) to squat. There's a lot of different exercises you can do with them, including putting it upside-down and squating on that (but get someone to help as it's bloody difficult to get on!).

If you want to squat on the squidgy side, I'd suggest http://www.physicalcompany.co.uk/products/product_detail.asp?productId=BD4 as they are cheaper.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 14-11-07 12:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, that's it! Brilliant! Thanks everyone.

Though at £80 I think I will have to make do with balancing on 1 rather than 1 for each foot. Before I order one, I never actually used it. Do you recommend it?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bit cheaper here (I think) but not sure if this one is flat on one side or not???

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Physical-Company-BOSU-Ballast-Ball/dp/B000VEDP2A?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Beverley, I got mine in TK Maxx
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You only need one. They do work, but most people don't know what they are, so they don't tend to get used much.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you everyone, definitely ordering one. It's for my husband's Christmas present, but it will be one of those 'sharing' presents! snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Beverley, dont go for a very cheap one as they tend to deflate easily...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah Bosu ( Both sides up Smile ) - think I'm the only one in our gym that uses it Smile Which is good as its always free Razz Loads of different exercises for it and great for core strength. Squat on the flat side rather than the soft side wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bones, one legged squats on the flat side.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a balance cushion, tis a flatish ball device that enables you to carry out a variety of drills.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sod that flat side, try standing on the soft side on one leg.....
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
Beverley, dont go for a very cheap one as they tend to deflate easily...

Wish I'd seen that bit of advice last week. Sad Have just taken delivery of a cheap one and it does indeed deflate easily. On the other hand, when you're learning to balance on one of these b*ggers for the first time, it's probably something of an advantage (or at least a potential saving of medical bills) if it's not pumped up too much.
ski holidays
Pump up the volume!!!
snow report
What do you call a 'cheap' one? Puzzled

The Bosu I've seen is £79.95. Is that considered cheap or one that will 'stay up' with my 14st husband on it?! wink
snow conditions
Beverley, I'm sure it will. Mine is a Gaiam imitation, for £43.94 inc p&p.
snow conditions
Beverley, BOSU is the "original" version and a good one IMO. go to your gym and see what they use.
latest report
http://www.goodhealthmatters.co.uk/products/cat15/cat131/

http://www.centurion-sports.co.uk/pages/Product.aspx?productId=79 at £11.63
I have one and they are fantastic for standing on in a ski posture and watching the downhill on the telly. Laughing
snow conditions
http://www.centurion-rugby.co.uk/pages/Product.aspx?productId=184

£7.81 - cheapest yet.
ski holidays
Kramer, already do em m8 Toofy Grin - but do two legs with bar weights, but only about 25 - 30 kgs.

Embarrassing moment tonight as while squatting on the BOSU heard this ripping sound Embarassed Embarassed New shorts will be in order I think Smile
latest report
OK, so I asked about the Bosu ball before - how on earth do you use them one for each foot for squats? I could just about see your hands balancing on a single one whilst you legs did the squats, but for your legs doing squats Puzzled I've got visions of space hoppers attached to feet here.
latest report
Megamum, some BOSU "balls" come in different shapes. I think they are refering to the type that is shaped like a dome with a hard flat surface on one side or the kind that are disc shaped.
latest report
something similar on ebay at min item no. 330187950133 end time 20-Nov-07 12:35:46 GMT)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy