Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thomsonfly ski carriage

Poster: A snowHead
our double bag weighs around 26kgs each trip...we paid for 2 sets of ski carraige, shoudl be interesting next saturday
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OK, back from Austria, and can report that having paid £14 x 2 for two pairs of return ski carriage (i.e. £14 per set return!), we took two boot bags and one ski bag (with a cheeky three pairs of skis in it!), and the boot bags were not counted as part of our weight allowance, and the ski bag was not weighed, either at Manchester or at Salzburg. So I thought it was £28 well spent on the whole.

D
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
papasmurf, may be tricky there - can you 'pool' allowances ? most airlines say no ! so one 26 kg bag (for one passenger) and one 0 kg bag (for the other passenger) means the 26 kg bag is over the limit but can not be offset by the 0 kg bag. Did you put the double ski carraige under one name? might be worth checking this out.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
its under two names....never had a problem on any other airline before..had the bag at 32kgs one with easyjet and no problems..shall see on saturday
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm going to Canada with Crystal. I queried baggage allowance. They said 20kg main hold bag including boots, 5kg hand lugguage. I asked about ski bag, as I've paid for 2 ski carriages and I want to put both in 1 bag. They referred me to the Monarch website for info as they're the carriers. I looked and as long as it doesn't exceed 32kg they don't give a stuff as it's a Charter. I'm now puttting 4 sets in 1 bag and 2 sets of poles, total weight is 30.2kg, so should be OK. I've never had skis weighed anywhere.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
probably depends if the check in staff are Polish or English..The Polish seem to be jobsworth sticklers to the letter of their instructions where as English just want you out the way as quickly as possible so they can carry on having their indepth conversation about last night with the person at the next checkin...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spyderman, I had skis weighed last year - I think it was when I was travelling with Swiss.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman, Monarch also allow you to pool baggage allowances and don't limit the number of bags (so boots can be taken in a boot bag and not cost you providing that the total weight is below 20kg/person.
However, for Europe, Monarch only allow 13kg for each ski bag that you pay for - don't know if the same applies for intercontinental
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nick L, Monarch have a different set of rules for their scheduled and charter flights. On Charters they seem to go by whatever the TO specifies, with regard to skis though, in reading their t&c, they don't seem to be bothered as long as it isn't heavier than 32kg for h&s reasons. In fact they say that some TOs don't charge extra for ski carriage and that if a charge is made it's by the TO not the airline. The airline are obviously charging for the plane irrespective of how many people or how much kit they carry. TO's are just charging as a way of gaining extra profit, there's probably a small baggage handling fee, but I bet it's pennies, if anything.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hamilton, Checked in and the bags didn't even seem to get weighed. In fact, we hadn't paid for one of our ski bags, which wasn't even noticed. By the looks of things, other had managed to check in with massively overfilled ski and board bags. So I wouldnt worry about actual enforcement of the 6kg rule...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skibomb, thats good to hear!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skibomb, free going out, £500 to bring it back. Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skibomb,
thanks for the update. Have paid for the carriage as I'd like at least some chance of getting my new skis to St Anton in time to use them.
Suspect I'll be reading the small print in more detail in future.

For anyone else - be warned that the rules vary both by airline, flight type (charter/scheduled), and by flight length (europe/international), so there's really no consistency - was interested to see Spyderman is travelling with Monarch thro' Crystal... who have a different set of rules to my "Thomson thro Crystal" route.
Oh well, will take the train in March... frankly I'm just glad it's snowing in St Anton!
cheers,
h.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a big bag that I intended to take skis and a board in.

Has anyone fallen foul of doing this, eg getting charged for two sets of equipment, rather than for one bag containing 'skiing equipment'?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We flew last weekend with Thomson Fly (although flight was "operated" by First Choice). We have a double ski bag and had prebooked for 2 pairs of skis. The bag was weighed by the check-in desk by holding it upright on the scales. This is always a bit of a blow as it means not being able to stick a foot under the bag to take some of the weight which has been a tactic of ours in the past when asked to lay the bag horizontally!!

Anyway, this was on the way out! On the return from Verona they just stuck a label around the bag and didn't even attempt to weigh it! Smile

The other half flew to Switzerland on his own with both sets of skis last year and as Easyjet only let you book for 1 pair per person online - that's all we did.... However, he got clobbered with an excess baggage charge on the way out. Once again though, apparently not an issue on the return!
snow conditions
At Doncaster last weekend they weren't bothered at all about the weight of my ski bag, which have been slightly overweight by the odd kg or 14 Shocked Mind you, after 4 changes of departure time (and a 2 hour delay on top of that!) I don't think they were in much mood to annoy the passengers even more.

Nor did they bat an eyelid at Salzburg on the return this weekend, but then they were that busy they probably just wanted us checked in as quickly as possible.
latest report
Joined this forum just to check up on this topic as have just found out that we have a weight limit of just 6 KGS imposed on us (Booked through Crystal). As we had hoped to take 2 boards and a bit of clothing in this bag, seems we are in for a shock! The empty bag is heavy enough. Will have to check the weight tonight but imagine it is around 3-4 kgs alone! Seems a puny limit when we have booked the holiday and flight from a winter sports brochure! What do they think we require? A thong and a bottle of sun lotion????
snow report
Yep same here (welcome aboard, by the way).

I've got a Burton wheelie locker and it weighs nearly 4kg empty. Just my bindings will put me over a 6kg limit. I'm booked with FC and can't find any T&Cs on this though. That said, my tickets haven't arrived yet so the terms may come with them. A pair of fat powder skis would weigh more than 6kg without a bag.

Easyjet allow you to load your ski/board bag up to a total of 32kg.
ski holidays
Never gonna win on this one - on the way out the check in has a target to meet (airlines need money) and you could get caught or not - £72 last time we were in excess because of the boot bags and not realising they were included in the 20kgs.

Every airline has a different rule and then it depends on who you book through so on a flight you can take skiis only or boots, skiis and poles depending on how much they want to rip you off for. Also the price changes depending on the tour company so far thi year we have had one at £15 return (boot included) and one at £30 return (skiis only)

Drives me to distraction and we haven't quite got there but are eriously thinking of driving in future and avoiding the whole blooming lot of them.

and don't get me started on the subject of airports and actually checking in in the first place Smile
snow report
Hi all
got to and from St Anton without any baggage issues.
the ski bag was weighed on the way out, but no comment raised (weight was maybe 16kg), we'd paid for 2x ski carriage, and all the Thomson girl asked was 'do I have any snowboards in there?'. I didnt'.

On the way back, (via Innsbruck charter terminal ) the ski bag wasn't weighed at all, but put thro a separate x-ray before getting it's own luggage tag.

so, could possibly have got away without paying for 2 ski carriages, but figured better safe than sorry.

Other issues with Crystal (other than the baggage charge gouging) make me less likely to use them again.... but more on that later
snow conditions
I phoned Crystal yesterday and they confirmed the 6 kg weight limit. I commented that this was a ridiculous limit....and the person agreed. I explained that our empty bag weighed just under 4 kilos... The also told me that I was the umpteenth caller today on the same topic.

The flight is with Thomson so I phoned them. If the bags are booked with them they have a 13 kg limit! They said as I booked the additional carriage with Crystal I should adhere to their T&C's....though the baggage check in is run by Thomson (or their agents) so I assume they are unlikely to differentiate between who has booked with whom.... The only thing the Thomson person kept saying was it was more important that there was only 1 board or pair of skiis per bag than the max weight being adhered to! Hmmm...seems they are keen on getting the additional cost per person.....I seriously doubt that in the early hours of the morning with the half term rush anyone is going to start to look in every ski/board bag?

May I suggest that anyone who has booked ski/board carriage with Crystal rings there customer services and compains about the inadequate weight allowance!

Do quote that Monarch charge £17.50 for 18 kgs.......
ski holidays
I wonder what they would say if I put one of my skis in my snowboard bag and one in my wife's ski bag Shocked Confused
snow report
bar shaker wrote:

Easyjet allow you to load your ski/board bag up to a total of 32kg.

i have booked to go with easyjet, i have paid for ski carraige, but havent paid for actual luggage as im putting all my bits in my ski bag.does anybody know if i have to pay for an actual hold bag as my bag will probably weigh around the 32kg max....
ski holidays
barthez1980, you get 20kgs allowance as standard with Easyjet.
You paid for ski carriage so that gives you an extra 12kgs.
Ski carriage includes the fee for its own bag.

Therefore, if you can get 32kgs in the ski bag you should be fine. Expect a funny look at check-in though when you try to explain why you have hand luggage, ski bag but no actual 'suitcase'. Toofy Grin Plus of course you can carry more weight if you put it in your hand luggage (subject to physical size restriction and ability to 'lift into overhead ocker unaided').

Vacuum pack bags are your friend in this situation, they don't reduce the weight but ther sure reduce the bulk and keep items seperate from each other for easy unpacking at your destination.
snow conditions
FenlandSkier,

muchos gracias.
latest report
well when we flew last week..also firstchoice plane now thomson owns them (god i hat e1st choice planes) anyway...27kg double ski bag, paid for ski carriage 2x no problems what so ever at Bristol and even less at Verona where the ski bag didn't even go on the scales. other bags where around 16 and 18kg.
ski holidays
Crystal flying with Monarch to Calgary Checked in ski bag 31kg, didn't weigh.
ski holidays
just used thomsonfly from manchester - lots of notices displayed by the check in queue specifying that we couldn't put anything other than skis and boots in pre-booked ski carriage - but no-one actually checked! They did, however, weigh our hand luggage at check in and added it to the weight of our other bags to check that the combined weight was less than 20kg- and then totally ignored the additional weight of our skis and boot bags!
Have also just flown from manchester with monarch - who didn't weigh anything at all - (and upgraded us to extra leg room seats for nothing on the way back...)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In the Crystal 2009/10 brochure (it’s available to view on-line or download as a pdf), they have dropped the 6Kg per bag limit.

Quote:
In common with all other major winter sports operators, we have therefore introduced a system to improve the reliability of ski/snowboard carriage, at a cost of £30 per pair of skis/snowboard carried (max one set off (sic) skis/board per £30 charge made). The ski & snowboard bag must contain the pair of skis or snowboard only.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy