Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Bag

Poster: A snowHead
Hello snowHead
I have a problem with choosing a ski bag for my skis. Please share what bag you use(model) and is there really an issue if its not padded all around. I am after something over 170 cm.
Also i was looking at the Dakine concourse single ski bag -Is it any good?
Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got the Concourse single and after using it for a season, with multiple moves I can say it is a great bag.

It folds reasonably in half when not in use, but has got sturdy padding inside that keeps you skis safe, plus anything else you want to stick in there. I regularly put all my ski gear; goggles, gloves, hats, skis and poles in there and it all travelled fine. It doesn't fit your boots though.

It is a bit weird to carry, I don't like carry it horizontal as it causes the most hassle if walking down a busy street so I walk with it and an angle and the strap padding does not move so it is a bit uncomfortable, but as I always had a ski jacket on so I rarely noticed.

I do have a bias towards DaKine bags as I think there awesome, I've got a couple and although I've only had them a couple of years, I can't see myself buying any more for a long time as they seem incredibly durable.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have 2 bags. One made by Head for a pair of skis and one from "margothedog.com" which holds 2 pairs and has wheels. Neither are thickly padded and I usually wrap the bindings in a foam camping mat... Oh and put cardboard over tips and tails.

Being a bit paranoid about the air line luggage handlers I'm thinking of buying one of the plastic ski tubes from Snow and Rock which seem to give better protection than the standard canvas type.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jim_bob, I wouldn't recommend buying your Sportube from S&R or you'll be stung for price and P&P. Beans of Bicester (www.beansonline.co.uk) do the same tube for £5 cheaper and postage is free too. They delivered mine to N. Ireland for free, which not many mainland retailers do. www.sailandski.co.uk also deserve a mention for this and their delivery is generally next day too, which is a real achievement for those of us on the Emerald Isle. Can't fault the customer service of both retailers either.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got a K2 global bag (you can get them in Ellis Brigham) and would highly recommend it - they're really durable and padded
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have an Ellis - Brigham padded bag which is 170 cm long but then can extend another 20 cm so you can pack it with hats and socks etc. Can't remember how much it was but I thought it was good value for money.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have two different bags, which hold two pair of skis in each bag (+poles)

One is the Swix bag, which is okay but not great.
The other is the Dakine Concourse and its rugged!!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jim_bob, this never ceases to amaze me.. the only reason I wrap my skis with jumpers etc is to try and stuff some extra gear in my ski bag...it is a total waste of time smothering your bindings and tips with padding.. think of the forces and impacts they take everytime you ski on them Puzzled .. I really don`t understand.. your bases and tips take a pounding everytime you ski on them far worse than any spotty faced baggage handler could manage ?!?!?

I use a burton snowboard bag... 155cms you can easily fit your boots + 2 pairs of 170cms skis (yep.. go figure.. the bag says 155cms on it?) + jacket/pants etc. It has wheels to pull it and if stuck in airport it can be used as a camp bed. Snowboard bags really are the way forward for skiers.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Always bought cheap ones off ebay. never that worried what baggage handlers o on basis I throw them around far more
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a padded Snow and Rock snowboard wheely bag which would easily fit skis up to about 175cm.

Good for dragging around (and carrying 2 pairs of skis if you have more than one pair). I wrap my ski thermals around the skis and pole to protect them while in transit. Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
we ve got an oldish Salomon double ski bag, padded around the bindings which easily takes 2 pairs of skis upto around 190cm , also have a Rossignal fully padded double ski bag - its absolutley huge easily big enough for 3 pairs of skis I would think with room to spare !! When we travel we use both of these each with one pair of skis and plenty of ski clothing Very Happy room to spare for any purchases too Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I got a giant Dankine bag with wheels. It will fit all my clothes and boots + one pair of skis. Now does any one know the form for the airlines easyjet especially..I intend to take this as my only bag I've paid for skis online so if it weighs more than 20kg but less than 32kg (ie same as one bag 20kg and skis 12kg) will they charge me extra?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cfc5mu0, You've booked it as sports equipment - you only get 12kg for that Shocked you would be better off paying for a hold bag at £2.00 each way as well and taking the extra bag to avoid the over weight charge. I think you will get stung. My skis were weighed the other week. You could email them using a different email address to the one you booked with and get a definitive answer.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx,

Ok i'll email them and report back...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have a cheap bag from Decathlon and wrap skis in bubble rap
snow report
5stitches, I've got the same bag and think it is good.
snow report
jim_bob wrote:
I have 2 bags. One made by Head for a pair of skis and one from "margothedog.com" which holds 2 pairs and has wheels.

Strangely i have these two bags as well.

However the MTD bag does hold four pairs of skis, which is handy.
snow report
holidayloverxx,
Quote:

You've booked it as sports equipment - you only get 12kg for that

The response to my question with easyjet

Here is my email:

"I have paid for ski carriage on line. My ski bag will fit my skis boots and all clothes for the trip but then it weighs more than 20kg but less than 32kg (approx..25kg). I will not be bring another bag. Will I get charged excess baggage if so how much."

Their reply..
Dear Mr cfc5mu0,

Thank you for your email regarding your baggage allowance.

I do appreciate that you may be travelling with a large amount of baggage on this occasion, but easyJet’s baggage policy is the same for all passengers regardless of the length or the purpose of their total journey.

I would suggest that you take advantage of our very generous hand baggage allowance. Each passenger is permitted one standard piece of hand baggage within the dimensions of 55x40x20cm. There is no weight restriction, within reasonable limits - i.e. a passenger must be able to place the piece of luggage safely in the overhead storage bins without assistance.

Each passenger is entitled to take one item of checked in baggage free of charge. Additional items are subject to a fee payable in advance (£3.00 per extra bag) or at the airport (£5.00 per extra bag) Irrespective of the number of checked-in bags, each passenger has a hold baggage allowance of 20kg, after which excess baggage charges of £6.00 per extra kilo will apply. Although you can take up to a maximum of 50kg, no one piece of baggage can weigh more than 32kg due to health and safety restrictions.

For clarification please see the website- ‘Carriers Regulations-Baggage’ section of our website www.easyJet.com

Thank you for taking the time to contact us Mr cfc5mu0. If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again via the contact us section of the easyJet web site.

Yours sincerely

A lady from easyjet
Customer Services Representative
Customer (cfc5mu0) 14/11/2007 12.31 AM

So your right I be better off paying for an extra bag.....Otherwise a £6per kg charge..
ski holidays
cfc5mu0 wrote:

Each passenger is entitled to take one item of checked in baggage free of charge. Additional items are subject to a fee payable in advance (£3.00 per extra bag) or at the airport (£5.00 per extra bag)

I thought Easyjet had done away with any free hold luggage; I'm sure I had to pay extra for some flights I have booked in the New Year. I think Mrs Customer Services lady maay have got it wrong Confused Confused Confused
ski holidays
Yeah, it's £2 a bag or some rubbish.
snow report
Quote:

I thought Easyjet had done away with

Yes looks that way their web seit says "Up to 8 pieces of checked-in hold baggage (each bag charged at £3.99 online or £5 at the airport) to a maximum combined weight of 20kg. A fee per kilo for excess weight is charged at the airport prior to departure"

Excellent If you're flying to Geneva on the 28th Feb via easyjet and there is some lady's front bottom at front of the queue, with a large ski bag delaying everyone else and waving an email around..to try and save £5..it'll be me so come and say hello... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

I have paid for ski carriage on line. My ski bag will fit my skis boots and all clothes for the trip but then it weighs more than 20kg but less than 32kg (approx..25kg). I will not be bring another bag. Will I get charged excess baggage if so how much."

Easyjet
Right..I'm back from my Easyjet trip I was going to get a small bag for skis and a normal 20kg bag. But in the interests of research ad due to laziness on my part I didn't...I stuffed my large ski bag with clothes, boots and skis. 30.8kg per the weight machine at the airport..

On the way out [Gatwick] they didn't bother to weigh it...on the way back [Geneva] they didn't bother to weigh it. But i insisted. No problems at either end and the lady at Geneva said as I'v paid for skis I get 32kg..but she wasn't interested in weighing the bag either..
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy