Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Foot passengers on Vanoise Express from Les Arcs to La Plagne

brian
brian
LARGEZOOKEEPER, it's not about the bike Laughing Superb.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LARGEZOOKEEPER,

Were they practising emergency evacuation procedures Skullie Skullie Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wow - didn't realise it was quite so high - Mr NewSkier wants to know if everyone gets issued with parachute for every crossing!! I think perhaps I may NOT share this with the rest of my party, cos at least one doesn't like looking down from high chairlifts so she might be put off going across before she's even seen it rolling eyes I can't wait!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
NewSkier, Toofy Grin On a lovely clear winters day last seson 2 Golden Eagles were riding the thermals as we passed over them Toofy Grin
An amazing sight to look down on. Very Happy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The best restaurant on the Montchavin side is Le Sauget by the Pierre Blanche chairlift (think this is the lift?). Great terrace with fab views and very cosy inside. Also can stay there as has about 6 rooms.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boredsurfin,

Did the Vanoise the morning after a very, very heavy night out on Geneope. Very scary Skullie Skullie
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NewSkier,

http://www.paradiski.com/content/view/52/lang,en/

If it crashes the worst you can fall is 380m, 1,000 feet give or take a little. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gwaelod, can imagine!

Just thinking - what on earth do they do if a service like that has to be shut early due to poor weather, with numerous skiers on the 'wrong side'! And what does the hapless person do who's misjudged their timings and misses the last one?

boredsurfin, that sounds magical - hope the eagles put on a show for us too!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 13-11-07 15:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gwaelod, Laughing Thats higher than the attack helicopters flying over my house Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin, cor, what have you done to get attacked by choppers Puzzled Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NewSkier wrote:
Just thinking - what on earth do they do if a service like that has to be shut early due to poor weather, with numerous skiers on the 'wrong side'! And what does the hapless person do who's misjudged their timings and misses the last one?

You are such an optomist Laughing Laughing Laughing Taxi home I suppose, ain't seen it happen yet. They know forecasts in advance, I assume they would plan for it but as I said ain't seen it happen yet though the brakes have been known to fail...so bring your parachute.

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/incident-on-the-vanoise-express/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gwaelod, Don't show me stuff like that Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The first time I rode the Vanoise Express the operator accidently pressed the emergency shutdown button as we left the Les Arcs station. It came to a dead stop and pendulumed back and for through about 45 degrees. Quite a scary introduction!

Not quite sure what would happen if one of the cars got stuck at the highest point. Would it be too high to winch people down to the ground from that height?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NewSkier, Every day occurence around here, worse when the USAF is 'visiting' rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
The first time I rode the Vanoise Express the operator accidently pressed the emergency shutdown button as we left the Les Arcs station. It came to a dead stop and pendulumed back and for through about 45 degrees. Quite a scary introduction!

Being stuck on Transarc last year while they attempted to see if they could get them cabins to do loop the loops was bad enough. That sounds terrifying Shocked
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Scary film Skullie

NewSkier, The trip across only lasts 4 mins - barely time to worry about it & the views are spectacular Very Happy
ski holidays
gwaelod wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Being stuck on Transarc last year while they attempted to see if they could get them cabins to do loop the loops was bad enough. That sounds terrifying Shocked

Not quite as scary as being on the Grand Motte cablecar a few years ago when we only just got to the top. A couple of minutes later it derailed in the high wind, stranding a couple of hundred people for several hours.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
A couple of minutes later it derailed in the high wind

Shocked Shocked Skullie Skullie
latest report
Have you all been on the same Cable car as I have? ITS A CABLE CAR NOT A DISNEY RIDE! it still smells and in feb - you'll be rammed in like cattle going to market. Its not always idyllic!
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Have you all been on the same Cable car as I have? ITS A CABLE CAR NOT A DISNEY RIDE! it still smells and in feb - you'll be rammed in like cattle going to market. Its not always idyllic!

Go first week fo Jan, normally got it to ourselves Razz Razz NehNeh NehNeh
snow report
I am visiting La Plagne over Christmas and was really looking forward to having a day out over in Les Arcs, that was until I viewed the photograph's of the Vanoise Express on page 1 of this topic. When just sitting here in front of my monitor my stomach almost visited my throat!!!!!
I am not so sure i will be able to cope with the valley crossing....... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
northantsred,

Its not as bad as it looks and it moves so fast you won't notice it. The cabins themselves are large enough that you can stand in the middle and ignore that you are travelling over 1,000 feet of thin air Very Happy Very Happy

It is genuinely worth travelling on once (ok twice, you got to come back) an amazing engineering feat. snowHead
snow report
Quote:

an amazing engineering feat.

and just to prove my Geekiness there is a leaflet available from the lifties office in English which details the construction and engineering details and has some amazing photography of the cables being helicoptered into place. Toofy Grin

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 13-11-07 21:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
gwaelod,
Quote:

Go first week fo Jan, normally got it to ourselves

and in December March and April and all Summer, so just give it a miss at half term Laughing
snow report
NewSkier wrote:
what on earth do they do if a service like that has to be shut early due to poor weather . . ?
This lift is actually quite low down the mountain. The chances of really bad weather at 1,548 to 1,612 m is pretty unlikely.
latest report
boredsurfin,

You will enjoy then snowHead

http://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=895&hl=vanoise
snow conditions
gwaelod, Excellent! and with some very good photo's.
Have bookmarked that site Toofy Grin
snow report
Thank you gwaelod, that has settled my nerves................... Laughing wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin,

yes but underneath it all I am very, very jealous you have that leaflet Sad

Its a fantastic site with lots of photos of things being built. Geek world Toofy Grin
ski holidays
"Nothing to say more. Just 3 photos :

RG Smile
snow report
RG, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Fantastic! Incidentally, all you guys who obviously know the area really well, do any of you have any photos of Vallandry that might show the area where our appartment is? (Prelses - it's the end of V futhest from Peisey). I've been given the link earlier in this thread to a map showing its location, and someone has sent me a few photos of the area in general.

Is the road through the Village of Vallandry fairly flat? How long do you think it will take to walk to/from lifts, supermarket & restaurants? Are there buses at all around that area? It's so hard to imagine and I can't wait to get there and getting the gen is the nearest I can get now to feed the excitement! Do forgive me for asking so many questions, but the thing is, I used to hate winter with a passion - and now for the first time ever I have a reason to look forward to it and I am like a kid at Christmas!
latest report
Save something for yourself to discover NewSkier, otherwise it will not feel like a new adventure.... Very Happy
snow conditions
For the full low down.....

http://www.poma.net/francais/actualite/evenements/vanoi_ex/proc_deroul.pdf
snow report
northantsred wrote:
Save something for yourself to discover NewSkier, otherwise it will not feel like a new adventure.... Very Happy

I'm with NewSkier on this - I always enjoy finding out as much as I can about places I'm going to visit. It's part of the fun, building up to the actual event! And there's always new stuff to discover when you're there... snowHead

northantsred, you do realise I'll be expecting you to provide a full resort report for Plagne 1800 in time for our visit at the beginning of January? Best bars & restaurants, quickest way up to Bellecote, best way home, that kind of thing... snowHead

You'll like the Vanoise Express, btw - I have a real problem with heights, but I was too busy thinking 'Wow! This is amazing!' to worry Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy