Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snowHeads stickers - how many would you buy?

At 30p each + postage, how many snowHeads stickers would you buy?
None
11%
 11%  [ 9 ]
7%
 7%  [ 6 ]
24%
 24%  [ 19 ]
32%
 32%  [ 26 ]
13%
 13%  [ 11 ]
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Voted : 67
Total Votes : 79

Poster: A snowHead
To help the stickers discussion and work out likely volume, how many would you buy?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Remember though, if volunteers are good enough to spend time and money on this, a vote should not be taken lightly ie if you say you're going to buy some, you should do so.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
more than 1 less than 5 ...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hmm, is it considered bad etiquette to stick them on hire skis? Puzzled

What about your own hire skis? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Price is a joke! get another quote(s) see sticker thread for print specs!!! Anything more than 13p ea for 1000(trimmed stickers) is off the meter.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, colourful language, but what are you trying to say? Or is it dense me missing the point again?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque, thanks for that. I just picked the last suggested price from the other thread. It would clearly be good to get them cheaper - in which case we can expect people to buy more!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok - say 1,000 are ordered at 13p each, and Admin flogs them at 20p each (+p&p), ie £70 profit - would it be worth his while?

Masque, Alastair, I would buy 100 at 13p ... maybe half that at 30p (if some profit was going to 'The Cause'...)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PG, surely the main benefit to snowHeads/Admin is the snowHeads name appearing all over the place.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
OOOOps Shocked I'm talking cost at the printer's delivery - whatever markup for SH support is on top of that, it depends on SnowHeads admin and postal costs -I'm off to hide in the Alps now, Good Luck. snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd be happy to say pay £5 for 10 if it included postage in the uk, that ought to include a small donation to U towards snowheads
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alastair, agree that's an admirable longer term aim - but I wondered whether U's short-term needs might not outweigh long term benefits at the moment!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I assumed I'd be directly contributing to SH (ie there would be some profit) and saw it as an alternate to (and more fun than) Paypal.

D
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would invest £15.00 on stickers whether they £15.00 for 1 or £15.00 for a 1000 although I doubt I would want a 1000
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I feel like I have to come back at Masque on this one.
My printer mate says that the films will cost £30 and the sceens between £10-15 each (and there are 4 of them) before you print anything.
The current system is to print digitally straight from disk to a machine that cuts the vinyl at the same time.
So you could for instance have 20 totally different designs on one sheet.
I am able to get one done for free, but who do I give it to?
If someone else could check this and I am wrong I'll back off but my mate is doing me a favour on our collective behalf.
snow report
PG, point taken. Maybe D G Orf's suggestion is the way to go? One for admin to consider....
snow report
Michael B, 8squid for an A3 film? bit pricy that. 4 up on an B2 in Essex is only 16 for the set. SRA3 screen down the road from me are 7ea (these are trade prices which I think with all the connections in this place should be achievable) so I think your mate's talking to you in 'retail'.

The designs are all 3 spot colours and black so any of them can be grouped in whatever combination on the same set of screens and they'll all print as seen in the drawing.

so 100 impressions will give roughly 3,200 stickers (whichever designs chosen) so 10p ea. at the printshop door is about right to incl. printer's profit

I'm off now but I'll try to keep in touch - it'd be nice to see some scattered around the Alps this winter - or even further! Cool
snow conditions
Masque, Off to the alps now,very lucky !!
snow report
Off topic but another example of the vote counter going wrong.
Currently it's Voted : 29, Total Votes : 32
Shurely Shum Mishtake Puzzled On a single vote poll how can this happen ???
ski holidays
vote twice and see if the total votes goes up and the cumulative stays the same
ski holidays
But you're not supposed to be able to vote twice ? I can't. If your first vote is not accepted for some reason, then it will offer you another go..... otherwise it's supposed to be one-snowHead, one-vote.
ski holidays
Come on - where are these stickers !!!!
If I have to wait to go skiing then I can at least buy some stickers to remind me that I'm going to be able to stick them on skiing things when I finally do get to go somewhere skiey.

D
latest report
oh, no you don't.
No playing 'lets ignore the thread and let it slip quietly off the page' Wink
snow conditions
lbt, keep trying! snowHead
snow conditions
Good revenue isea. better than paypal whicjh is a bit complex for me
ski holidays
It's not that bad - this was the reason I finally got my UK paypal setup.

And I have to say that although it wasn't the fastest thing in the world (they use the direct debit to put money in your account as a security check and it takes a few days) it wasn't too hard and feels pretty secure.
latest report
Just in case you were thinking about it, I wouldn't.
I know if you did it I wouldn't have to keep prodding it - but then again people wouldn't read it just to see if they were available yet and, more importantly, I wouldn't have a job as sticker-prodder...

Make the stickers sticky that is.

Well, obviously the real stickers would be sticky - I mean that'd be silly.
Mind you, not as silly as someone trying to stick a non-sticky sticker to a non-sticky cablecar.
(Of course sticking a non-sticky sticker to a sticky cablecar would work - but you'd probably look silly making the cablecar sticky just to stick a non-sticky sticker to it. Much easier to make the stickers sticky. Not the thread though. Which is what I meant.)
ski holidays
lbt, get a grip man!!

Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Come on - off in under 6 weeks and the prospect of no stickers...!

As an aside, we could run photo competitions to see the most unlikey places stickers are spotted.
ski holidays
I'd need to see the price before deciding on how many. I could definitely go 6 for myself, but if they were cheap enough I might buy 500 to give to my clients - that would spread the word a bit. Very Happy
snow report
Be careful with paypal - we have just spent £280 through paypal for Ipods and the company we were buying them from has scammed us (and a lot of other people). We have no redress through paypal - they said that any money coming into that particular ecompanies account (weshop-uk) will go to those of us who are owed but that is all they can do i.e. they don't chase it outside of the account. So it is not as safe as you would like to think.

Obviously this is a very specific incident but it shows that you have to be very cautious, paypal are just a conduit for the money and do not vet who they deal with. By the way we found this company (weshop-uk) on amazon to start with, so be very careful Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Aahh, and I was just about to invite payments for non-existent stickers too! rolling eyes
snow report
Laughing Laughing Laughing don't forget the hats too! snowHead
snow report
Update: U wants to "tweak" the designs. That, I guess is his prerogative. I, meanwhile am attempting to get some samples done FOC (of the original designs). I'll send these to U when I get them with a sample quote for 500 or 5000.
After that U, or someone else can use the information to get a competitive quote from someone else. Et voila by the 2006 season we'll have something. Puzzled
snow conditions
I'd be up for a hat too, so long as it was reasonable quality, available in xl and in black Wink
snow conditions
Lorraine Agass, I appreciate you feeling unhappy with Paypal - they're not the most 'generous' of companies (originally grew out of Ebay and there are certainly a few horror stories) and they don't provide the same protection as Visa and Mastercard - but I think you'll find they operate like 'cash'.
If you give someone 28 £10 notes and they run off - you don't complain to the Bank of England and ask for your money back.

I'm not saying it's right - I'm just saying that that's how it is. And I do sympathise. Don't forget the police - fraud is fraud and you can get it investigated (but I'll bet you have to push). Paypal will have to give the police details of the merchant etc.

If this is all new to you then PM me and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction Smile

I suppose the point is - Paypal will be fine for buying the stickers - they aren't going to scam you (or admin) Smile

D
ski holidays
Quote:

they aren't going to scam you (or admin)

Like I said lbt, that was my plan but Lorraine's gone and 'blown the gaff'. Looks like I might just have to make real stickers now.
(though I liked the 'sticky cable car idea')

BTW. you're not 'nbt' but typed badly are u?
snow report
lbt wrote:
they aren't going to scam you (or admin) Smile

D

Quite possibly not,but many,myself included,are a little uneasy about Paypal.I prefer,and use extensively,direct credit transfer into recipients bank account.Use eBay a fair bit(cracking MP3 players-256MB-just over £40;not mine,but have info Cool )and this is now my preferred method.

My old boss used to say "When nothings happening,someone has to bite the bullet" Think that time may have come to the sticker saga?Sure that good work is going on in the background;but frankly,we could talk print cost,sticker cost,cost cost ad nauseum.Seems that final design is not quite sorted.No problem,that will happen soon.We are now 7/8/9wks from lift off.Time to bite the bullet.Admin-pm your chosen bank details to me and you have £25 in the sticker fund.If a few others do the same then it will happen.IMHO if you snowHeads want stickers,you gotta help fund it.This ain't a charity Shocked Not in the least bit concerned,sure I'll get a couple of stickers back in return Laughing Look on it as an investment in a very worthwhile venture(med risk-high returns not guaranteed Wink )You never know,as early investors,we might get a 2 for 1 issue later Wink

If I have stepped on anyone's toes,I will apologise now Embarassed .This is a personal plea from someone who has the best interests of snowHeads at heart :sH:As I have not followed the sticker threads for a while,I may have missed some initiative.If so,sorry.If not,lets get this show on the road!!
latest report
admin wrote:
Aahh, and I was just about to invite payments for non-existent stickers too! rolling eyes

You naughty Admin you!!! Shock

Seriously though, what I was trying to say was that we were conned because stupidly we assumed that because the company handled its finances through a recognised company i.e. Paypal. There would be some sort of increased margin of safety i.e. it was a properly registered company that paypal was prepared to be associated with. Obviously not, someone has suggested that you should be able to check how long a company has held its domain name as a indicator. Being designated as 'special needs' on the IT skills ability range I wouldn't know where to begin to do that Embarassed Puzzled Can any of you IT intellects tell me how please?
snow report
Assuming it's a .uk domain you could try going to http://www.nominet.net and enter the domain name (without the www. bit but include the .co.uk) in the 'whois' box bottom left. For one of my own domains that tells me I registered it on 6/11/02 and is due for renewal on 6/11/06. As I am a private individual not running a commercial site my address details are hidden.

There should be other servers for non UK domains. I'll see what I can find.

[Edit] Try http://www.internic.net/whois.html for .com .org .net etc. This gives registration dates (06/02/04 for snowheads.com) but not addresses. The address should be available somewhere...

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 17-11-04 19:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy