Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids to learn skiing or boarding?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, newbie here Madeye-Smiley

The little ones will be learning skiing/ snowboarding in the near future and although I myself am a skier, I wondered if snowboarding was more in keeping with 'youth'?

I have no problem with boarding and will give it a try some time in the near future.

Any thoughts as to whether to start them skiing or boarding?

Thanks, Nick.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowdaddy, welcome to SHs snowHead
Posting in this section you will only get the thumbs up to board !
How old are they ? There was a previous discussion based on 6 year olds here :- http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=28533
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Where should I post it?

8 and 6 months.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
give the kids the choice.

Some dont want to board, others prefer it.

My 6 year old started boarding at 5, can already ski. Last year she did skiing weekly and boarding with a private instructor and then a 1 week course at the end of the season.
She loves boarding more than skiing. So this year she joins the local snowboard team and will do that twice per week and in the school holidays she will go up a badge with her skiing.
Its good for them to do both if they can.
After all life is about choices why shouldn't kids have the choice too.

dont put kids on a board before 5, they're ankles aren't strong enough.

Skiing is good from as soon as they can walk.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowdaddy, I haven't looked through all of the thread snowangel linked to, but I wonder if an important factor is what Mum and Dad does.
snowangel is a boarder (yes?), so mini-snowangel would have assumed that was the norm, and mum would be able to give hints, tips and stuff to encourage progress.

If you are a skier, it might be better to start them out with what you are used to.
You will be able to help them with skiing. Will you be any help with their boarding?
What about Kit? Technique? How to get on and off lifts?
I would start with skiing.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 12-11-07 15:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys. The eldest had his first taste at the ski show the other day and loved it. When I realised he had a choice of board or skis, I suggested he might find a board easier- but said that the decision was his. I thought he might cross his skis over (which he did Smile ), thus prefering the board. He asked what I do and went with that (skis).

I would think, given the choice, the eldest will stick with skis- he loved his 30 minute taster lesson. I have not heard the ankle thing snowangel. Makes sense to start with skis, to get the youngest 'doing it' ASAP. Can always try a board a few years later, if she fancies it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowdaddy, they will find skiing easier. Boarding involves a lot of falling down and hurting yourself for the first three days, which is likely to be rather offputting for kiddy first-timers.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowdaddy, Mine started at ages 3 and 5, they started on skis and are still on them on each holiday we do - I am a skier, but if the kids had an inclination to board I'd let them, but so far they are happy to ski.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As Lizzard says, my experience is that they will find skiing easier in the first instance and so will be more mobile, quicker.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I board, my wife skis, 6 year old is learning to ski. I think skiing is less physically demanding for little ones and more flexible. lack of weight means they go slower so stop quicker which means more poling or pushing whihc is much easier on skis. a tow from mummy or daddy is also easier on skis.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I used to ski, these days I board.

I took my 12 year old for the first time last winter & I he chose to board & get on very well.

However, I'm taking my 6 year old for the first time this year & whilst he wants to board rather than ski, I'm going to insist on him skiing. I just think that all the falling over might put him off snowsports generally.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i started to ski when i was 3 (15 years ago!) and i loved it, learned to snowboard a little later and loved it equally but skinig is just more fun Razz but its down to them really... show them some youtube videos of each and ask them to pick one! to determine goofy/regular for snowboarding-get them to stand with both feet together and push them forward.. which ever foto they naturaly put forward first is the foot which should go forward on the board! Remember to catch them. ROss
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Send your kids off to board without parental guidance (i.e. a good boarding school) they will like it more if mum and dad are not around.

Have the same fun as a family teaching them to ski.

Build lots of snowmen and hire a good sleigh 4 the first day or 2 Smile Smile

Most resorts have some sort of Mickey Club where your kids can go for a couple of hours but be aware that they will probably come back better skiiers/boarders than the parents Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I started my oldest one skiing when he was six purely because I ski. Couple of months ago, during a bout of temporary insanity, I tried snowboarding and it was really good fun! Now my son says he wants private boarding lessons for his birthday so he can be as cool as all the boarders. Funny, he never thought I looked cool on a board! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowdaddy wrote:

8 and 6 months.

Can they even walk yet Puzzled
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy