Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any Blade experts out there ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My son has a slight disability and is learning to ski. Sometimes he needs help to get back upright on his skis if he falls over and i'm finding it difficult to do this on a slope with my skis on and carrying a set of poles.

I was thinking about getting some blades so it would be easier to manouver round about him to pull him up and i wouldn't have the poles to worry about either.

I dont know anything about blades so i was hoping that some kind person could give me some advice about what length and whether releasable bindings are now the thing to have.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Last i used them (couple years back) I had the standard blade bindings, one where you just fasten yourself in. They're fine. As for blades, they're quite manouervable; only real let-down is that due to the length you can't go off-piste. Getting noticeable speed is also something but I don't think you need to worry about that. Given your situation blades are definately worth a try.

As for length, I have no idea.. sorry.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know nothing about blades, I dont know your sons disability but generally the best way to help someone who has fallen is to get them to pull themselves up on your poles stuck in the snow next to them (you could wrap tape on them for a better grip). Its better for both than pulling on their arms. Also it often helps to use your own skis to stop their skis sliding off. Sorry if I have answered the wrong question, but hope this helps.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ropetow, instead of blades, look at skiboards, try websites such as www.skiboards.com or www.skiboardsonline.com you will find boards that are sooooo much better than blades, and can be used off piste also. feel free to pm me if you like, i am a skiboarder
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ropetow, Hi!

I am the proud owner of a pair of snowblades. geenrally I take them with me and have the odd day or two on them just for a bit of variation. I have the Salamon Blades which are 99cm long (I believe to qualify as a snowblade they have to be under a metre..or so someone once told me). They are so easy to use and I just use the standard non-release bindings. I think the reason you can get away with this is that the skis are so much shorter you are less likely to do any damage to yourself although I know there is much debate on that issue. Personally I've never had a problem and, don't forget, you are not going to be going in any depth of snow with them (they don't float well!) and they are also much slower. I love them, they're not for the "traditionalists" but good fun and very very easy to use.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Pay a bit extra and get the release bindings. I know two people who have suffered helical fractures to the leg due to wearing blades with non-release bindings. One of them when he hurt himself was told that it is a common injury for bladers without release bindings. Personally I wouldn't take the risk.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
awksquawk wrote:
ropetow, Hi!

I am the proud owner of a pair of snowblades. geenrally I take them with me and have the odd day or two on them just for a bit of variation. I have the Salamon Blades which are 99cm long (I believe to qualify as a snowblade they have to be under a metre..or so someone once told me). They are so easy to use and I just use the standard non-release bindings. I think the reason you can get away with this is that the skis are so much shorter you are less likely to do any damage to yourself although I know there is much debate on that issue. Personally I've never had a problem and, don't forget, you are not going to be going in any depth of snow with them (they don't float well!) and they are also much slower. I love them, they're not for the "traditionalists" but good fun and very very easy to use.

not true, to qualify as snowblades they have to be made by salomon.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I learnt to ski on ski's and moved to using blades for about two years. When I first went out to france to ski I was told by more than one instructor that they were no good for me. They told me that they were bad for my technique so after two years of using them I went back to using ski's. This was when I realised that they were right about the blades. I found that my technique was terrible, I was leaning back far too much which caused problems in the turns and I also forgot that I had poles in my hands and I was skiing with my hands behind me.
The blades may be easier for helping your son and I understand that he is your priority however I would say that if you could manage on ski's they would be the better solution in the long run.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OK, I stand corrected graeme! Blush
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the replies - I think i am looking at either true 99cm blades with proper bindings - or the 120cm 'skiboards'. Theres not a lot of difference in price - will also need to check what would fit in the skibag alongside my scream limiteds as i dont want to pay two lots of carriage.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
I think i am looking at either true 99cm blades with proper bindings - or the 120cm 'skiboards'. Theres not a lot of difference in price - will also need to check what would fit in the skibag alongside my scream limiteds as i dont want to pay two lots of carriage.

some confusion, I think. "Blades" are strictly speaking Salomon, as somebody has said. "Ski boards" is the generic term (same difference as "hoover" versus "vacuum cleaner"). For helping someone up, especially someone a bit heavy, I think the longer 120cm short skis (not skiboards) would be better. They would enable you to anchor yourself more firmly in the snow, and give you a better platform to dig into to heave someone up. To pull yourself up on somebody else's poles I suspect you need quite a bit of upper body strength, and maybe your son lacks that. Decathlon and Atomic make short skis, which have only appeared on the market in the last couple of years. They feel much more like skis. You can use poles, or not, as you like. And you can use them off piste too - they're far more versatile than blades (I have blades too, and am not part of the fanatic anti blade brigade you get in any skiers forum!). Or you could just use your usual skis, but without poles, if you prefer. Just leave the poles behind, like lots of instructors with kids do.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy