Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet advice please.

Poster: A snowHead
Hello just been looking round excape in Leeds, i need a helmet but would like to know what peoples opinions are about the dainese fun, the red tantrum and the giro G10 i like the look of the dainese but not sure how well the vents will work as my head gets really hot. Any ideas please. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whatever fits is good Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BTW welcome to snowHead s
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for the welcome mark, was hopeing to find soeone who has the dainese to see if it kept there head warm Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fragy, welcome to snowHeads. Don't know about how well the Dainese vents work but I've a couple of other items of theirs & it's very good kit so I would assume their venting works as required. I also run hot & wear a Giro 9 helmet & the venting works really well.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fragy, I have a Dainese helmet.
It was bought a few years ago (2004, I think) so can't find it now, but it looks similar to the Fun helmet. (Also in Black.)
Certainly, the venting system looks the same.
I am also a sweaty guy. I have been quite happy with my helmet. I would get the same again.
The venting system does work up to a degree, but on warm days when you are working hard your hair will get damp. Sometimes very damp, like when taken on yet another EOSB yomp by BernardC snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the advice, think i am swaying towards the Giro by the sounds of it although i must agree the other dainese stuff i have for mtb is great Puzzled so maybe just rub my head a little longer before i take the plunge.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fragy, do not go into your shop with the decision already made to get a particular helmet.
Choosing a helmet should be similar to choosing boots.
Take your time. Try on two or three. Listen to advice from the store assistants. Get the one that fits best.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fragy wrote:
Hello just been looking round excape in Leeds,

I would check out prices elsewhere, as I suspect you'll pay more in EB at Xscape than other places. There is (or was last spring) a discount place near the next motorway junction towards Manchester (J32). Can't for the life of me remember what it's called. You leave the M'way and head for Castleford along the old road and it is a very short way along there on the left in an industrial estate. The ski place is pretty much alongside the main road, but you go down a side road and back up to it. Anyone know what it's called and if it's still there?

I am also told Glide & Slide in Otley are very helpful and reasonable on prices.

Incidentally if you visit http://vip.junction32.com/vip/Default.aspx you can get sent a 10% discount card valid in many of the shops in the "Freeport" centre adjacent to Xscape, including Tog24, Cotton Traders, Mountain Warehouse, Trespass etc.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for that, working in manchester next week and have see that there is a snow and rock just opened at the new ski slope so was going to try a few there, The Dainese fun helmet does fit well but just a little worried about the lack of vents.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fragy, Just noticed your location (I'm in Barnetby!). For info, if you have never found it, there's a similar set of shops to those adjacent to Xscape just off the M18 near Doncaster and they have the same VIP discount cards scheme, but you have to get theirs - the same card's not valid in both places. It's called Lakeside. http://www.lakeside-village.co.uk/ There is the same range of shops there. Last year in the Mountain Warehouse there they had thermal base layer stuff on BOGOF basis, plus 10% discount and ladies' salopettes for £20 - 10% Haven't been over there this year yet.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NewSkier, small world and all that, thanks for the advice, do you know if they have helmets at the outlets? Dont really need more clothing, i buy it through the year for mtb and walking so always have enough by the time the snow falls.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fragy, Sorry I don't know if they do have helmets in the outlets, possibly not as they don't sell skis/boots. http://severnsports.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=0 definitely do, and their Armley store isn't far from the M62.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The vents on the G10 are much better than the tiny vents on the Dianese. If you get hot then go for the G10 provided it fits well.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fragy, No helmets at the Doncaster Lakeside place, and not many shops either. Mountain warehouse and Tog 24 are about your lot for skiing (unless you fancy doing it in a M&S Dinner suit!)

What about trying Decathlon in Sheffield - they have some good gear at reasonable prices

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/our-stores-10695863/
snow report
Get one with straps you can do up! wink
snow report
fragy,

I have a Giro. I bought it because (i) it was a good fit and (ii) it left no gap between the top of my goggles and the rim of the helmet.

These are both important points. If the helmet doesn't fit properly it won't protect your head, and it may slip around obscuring your peripheral vision. If you have a gap betwen your goggles and your helmet, then a cold windy day will feel like someone's trying to slice the top of your head off with an icy cold razor.

The temperature control on the Giro is good, in that you can decide how many vents to open up. The downside of removing vents is that on a warm day, ice on the chair frame melts and the meltwater drops with unerring accuracy through the vents.
snow report
If you are really concerned about getting hot then go for one of the helmets that's commonly worn on dry slopes, these are used for racing in the UK from April to September, so are worn on hot days and in rain.

The favourites are Scott, Briko and Sun.
snow conditions
Acacia wrote:
I have a Giro. . . because . . . (ii) it left no gap between the top of my goggles and the rim of the helmet.
A good point.
Take your goggles when choosing your helmet. Not all goggles will fit properly into the space provided by the helmet.
snow conditions
fragy, Giro make different shaped Helmets so try a few of them. I've got a 9.9, while Kitty has a Fuse. Ventilation is very good on both. I think Giro get a lot of experience from their Cycle Helmets. Take your Goggles, or buy some Giro Goggles.
snow report
Thanks for all the advice guys, never really thought about the goggles point of view, will defiantly take my goggles to try when trying them on. Do you think helmets will be any cheaper in France?
snow report
I have had a Dainesse helmet for a few years - way too hot. Venting better on Giros - and will probably get one this season.

But one that fits your head and your goggles is - as everyone says - the priority.
latest report
fragy, ive got a Giro- a shiny one, it was around £100 but its fantastic, fits well with Oakley wisdoms and crowbars! Aswell as plugging into my ipod and my phone, it interupts my ipod and allows me to answer fone calls-great for business!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy