Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Six Canadian ski resorts eliminating man-made snow jumps for safety

Poster: A snowHead
Six ski resorts run by the Canadian Rockies (from British Columbia to Quebec) have decided to remove all man-made snow jumps from terrain parks this season on safety grounds. Instead, the company is making an investment in new rails and features for its terrain parks and will host a Rail Jam Series that will take place at Lake Louise, Fernie and Nakiska.
...We are undertaking an industry-leading initiative,” says Matt Mosteller, Senior Director of Business Development for Resorts of the Canadian Rockies (RCR). “We have found that one of the main issues that increase the likelihood of serious injury on our mountains is big air. When we are making decisions about safety at our resorts, the big jumps in the terrain parks always come into the equation. We decided to make a change.”

See: http://www.firsttracksonline.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3188
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well Canada's off my list of destinations then!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
These people that injure themselves, I suppose they were forced to go off the jumps by men with pointy sticks. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Last time I checked, skiing and boarding were dangerous .... i'm glad to see the world's a safer place. rolling eyes Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I bet the people that injured themselves had music on as well, and no helmets. Recipe for disaster if you ask me. wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Canadians rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Decisions such as this are always derided.
But actually we are to blame
These ski resorts are simply protecting themselves from you and me.
They are not worried about the injuries: they are worried about the subsequent negligence case.
If none of us ever sued this would never be contemplated.
But these days it seems we sue for anything and everything.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
well sad. Sad

Big Air Vs metal grinds/rails - which is the most dangerous? Confused My money's on the rails and grinds for sure
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm sure they will change their decision sooner or later once they realize their resorts aren't getting publicity from the pros anymore because they're going elsewhere to find the big air parks...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
season in Banff- a lake louise without kickers Confused NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
WTF is this world coming too!? What next no skiing?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Liam wrote:

I can only hope Razz
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
More likely it's an excuse. Maintaining quality terrain parks costs, kickers (big or small), pipes etc need constant attention and regular reshaping. I'm pretty sure this is an economic decision dressed up as safety as a convenient excuse - they believe rails will be easier to maintain (if it was liability putting big hulks of steel obstacles for people to split their heads off doesn't spring to mind as the obvious solution! rolling eyes ).

They'll have decided that terrain parks cost to much relative to the amount of income that can be attributed directly to them. The same way as resorts realise that blacks aren't economically viable.... this is what happens when accountants get control. No one part of a snowsports area can be taken in isolation like that because its about the whole - its the whole that gets people there parting with their £, $ or €'s.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stab wrote:
Liam wrote:

I can only hope Razz

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Specialman wrote:
well sad. Sad

Big Air Vs metal grinds/rails - which is the most dangerous? Confused My money's on the rails and grinds for sure

The most dangerous is getting big air and then landing on a rail!
snow report
When your in the Air you are out of Control.
ski holidays
stanton, Seriously?
snow report
But surely 'To air is human' or something like that Little Angel
ski holidays
Peter S, that is appalling!

But not as appalling as Stanton's comment, not least for the typo on "your".
snow conditions
stanton wrote:

Unless you're hanggliding etc...

*gets his coat* Embarassed
snow conditions
stanton wrote:

"You can't get hurt in the air" snowHead
snow conditions
Specialman wrote:
stab wrote:
Liam wrote:

I can only hope Razz

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
magicrichard wrote:
stanton, Seriously?

YES
snow report
stanton, is that what you honestly believe? that professonal freestyle skiers land their jumps due to nothing more than sheer luck? having man-made jumps in snow parks seems to me to be a good idea, as it gives people somewhere to practise getting air in a relatively safe and well-maintained environment. If they were really worried about negligence cases etc., they could easily follow the route of mountain biking, whereby the owner of the park can list it as a club, can charge a fee for people to use it, and get sports club insurance that would cover injuries sustained while in the park, subject to rules like wearing a helmet etc. etc. as Winterhighland, said, it is most likely a cost-saving exercise.
ski holidays
gregor the viking wrote:
stanton, is that what you honestly believe? that professonal freestyle skiers land their jumps due to nothing more than sheer luck? having man-made jumps in snow parks seems to me to be a good idea, as it gives people somewhere to practise getting air in a relatively safe and well-maintained environment. If they were really worried about negligence cases etc., they could easily follow the route of mountain biking, whereby the owner of the park can list it as a club, can charge a fee for people to use it, and get sports club insurance that would cover injuries sustained while in the park, subject to rules like wearing a helmet etc. etc. as Winterhighland, said, it is most likely a cost-saving exercise.

Im glad you said ""Professional"" Freestyle skiers.
snow report
stanton wrote:
gregor the viking wrote:
stanton, is that what you honestly believe? that professonal freestyle skiers land their jumps due to nothing more than sheer luck? ...

I wonder how the "professional" gets to become one? Perhaps they were born such?
snow report
abc wrote:
stanton wrote:
gregor the viking wrote:
stanton, is that what you honestly believe? that professonal freestyle skiers land their jumps due to nothing more than sheer luck? ...

I wonder how the "professional" gets to become one? Perhaps they were born such?

A professional is a very very small minority perhaps they should stick to the trampoline and stay off public slopes Very Happy
snow report
stanton wrote:
abc wrote:
stanton wrote:
gregor the viking wrote:

A professional is a very very small minority perhaps they should stick to the trampoline and stay off public slopes Very Happy

I want my "public slope" free of skiers/boarders who're not in total control!

And guess what? You "very very small minority" beginer peep will have to learn in the frig/dry slope untill you become "professional" enough before setting foot on "my" slope!!! Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apparently Lake Louise are refunding season passes for those who purchased before the announcement and Sunshine are offering season passes at their "early bird" rate to anyone who comes along with a Lake Louise refund Smile It seems a fair few boarders had purchased Lake Louise passes purely for the terrain park.
ski holidays
Mmm, methinks that stanton protests to much. It has to be for economic reasons as stated by winterhighland. Besides I have seen stanton OOC on a blue, true, only once, but......... Laughing Did get it on vid tho Toofy Grin
magicrichard, I'm afraid stanton's English has been wayward ever since he left our Hallowed shores! rolling eyes
latest report
Oh, man. Not good news. I say they are over-reacting. I have hurt myself a couple of times in a quarter-pipe and I never thought those jumps should be demolished. I hope they won't do this here in Europe.
latest report
For those that say they won't be coming to Canada because of this a bit of a news flash, there is a lot more places to ride than the six resorts run by RCR. Sunshine, Big White, Silver Star, Sun Peaks, Seymour, Grouse, Whistler, Blackcomb all have better parks than most European resorts. Plus there is all the other terrain outside of the parks you might want to try to explore at those and many other places.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy