Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les deux alpes in 5 weeks

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, first time post Little Angel

I have not skied for 20 yrs since school.I went xscape at Castleford last week and it all came flooding back. I was quite pleased with myself actually as I am on the large side and not that fit really. This post has afew assumptions and questions in one go, so please feel free to put me right if i go wrong.

Going to LDA in on Dec 15th for 1 week. Going with me and 2 kids (10 and 8 ).They are beginners, but have had 4 lessons at xscape and have been signed off as recreational. Leaving the Mrs at home as she has a dodgy knee and cant get time off work.

We are stopping at chalet Anemones with first choice.Any one been ? Any good ? Kids are booked in ski school 6 days in the morning and me too for the adult school. Thought i needed that even if its just for the company. Plan is to meet up at lunch then ski together in the PM. I thought they should be ok for some blue/red runs after afew days.

The run back to the resort is too steep for beginners, so take the lift back.Skiing with kids, do you ski in front of them or behind ?

Lunch for 3 on the mountain, what sort of cost. Around £20 ish ?

Ski till around 3-4pm daily then head back.Cant imagine the Apres being too lively with 2 kids in tow.

Got all the passes and boot hire and stuff sorted.Read somewhere that it is a good idea to take a fitted insole for your boot ? Do i need to take photos for the lift passes ?

How much time do you need from chalet to ski lesson area ? lessons start at 10.00.

Alot of questions i know but any help and tips would be much appreciated. Thanks

Rich
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Big Rich, welcome to snowHead s

cant answer all of your specific questions but i'm sure you'll have a great time

just in case you didnt know LDA has a glacier so at least you're sure of some skiing unlike other places at that time of year!

resto prices are more reasonable than some other large french resort but it was still about a tenner last weekend for burger/chips and a coke in the place at the bottom of the glacier

they've just installed hands free passes so i dont think you need photos

easiski is our resident expert on LDA and I'm sure she'll be along shortly Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Big Rich, I haven't stayed there but Anemones is OK. On the first day you'll need to get the bus round and you have to change at the 'Point I' at the entrance to town. Allow a good half hour or more for this. Later, after you're sure they're OK you can (if the snow is OK) ski down to the Petite Aiguille chairlift and then ski across to the centre of town. coming down from the mountain you should try to get the Belle Etoile chairlift (ask someone where it is - you won't find it on your own). You can then go up either Bosquet or Champamé pomas and ski back to your chalet. There are cannons on the run down to where your chalet is so you should be OK. See the snow reports section for daily (or almost daily) updates and photos. Anemone is like a lot of the chalets, a bit out of town!
Make sure you know which meeting place you should go to for ski school - the dreaded ESF has several.

You shouldn't need lunch up the mountain - you'll have Tea when you get in. Eat a big brekkie, make a couple of sandwiches and buy a hot drink each. You can have soup, and unless you eat a whole lunch you won't spend anything like 20 pounds.

You shouldn't need photos for the liftpasses this year as we're now on the cumputerised thingies.

I should not think about our red runs for this week Shocked you'll all have enough trouble with some of the blues! Where did you ski before??

Insist that the kids have short skis - no more than point of shoulder, max. They'll learn quicker.

Always ski in front of them and make it an absolute rule that they MUST NOT overtake you. Sometimes let them go in front, but give them a place you can see to stop at. You cannot risk them heading off down the mountain on their own. 10 and 8 are not old enough to be responsible at this stage of their skiing lives. If they disobey you should stop them skiing the next day - mountains are potentially dangerous places, but you don't want them to be afraid at that age. Definite rules from the beginning is the best way to go.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Big Rich,
Welcome to snowHead 's
A personal opinion is that when skiing with children who are just beginning (I've done it with my own and several friends) however gung ho it is pretty important not to overface them. If you have skied for a bit it is not always easy to work out what they can and cant do and what might frighten them, particularly at the beginning of the week.

To find out the best runs to take them on it is often a good idea to ask the instructor that they have had. They know what they are capable of. Failing this you can ask them which runs they have done. It is a good idea to take them down the easy ones , decent instructors often have a way of finding lines to take learner skiers that the rest of us just don't notice and they take the fear out of a slope without the learner realising. At the beginning of the season in particular slopes can get a lot icier and trickier from early afternoon onwards and as the shadow falls you need to be aware of this.

Having said that L2A is a great place and I'm sure you will all have a fantastic time hope you enjoy it. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

make a couple of sandwiches

If you try doing that, the chalet staff will start rationing the bread - you've paid for half board, not all-inclusive. The price of food has gone through the roof this year and budgets are likely to be an issue.

They will probably sell you a packed lunch though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, Dear oh dear - anyway it's Last Resort, not your bunch!!! I always secreted a sandwich under my large sweatshirt!!! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, outrageous behaviour. My end of season bonus depends (amongst other things) on sticking to budgets, so I take a poor view of cheapskates who pinch my food.

I like people who buy packed lunches though, as it stops the powers that be hassling me about food sales. I'll even put Walkers crisps in them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard, Crisps - repulsive things - one of the main reasons for the English obesity IMO!! Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski, not the KFC and binge drinking, then? Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard, that too - but IMO crisps are it!! Laughing Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks very much for the comments and helpful advice. Not sure i needed advice on crisps and KFC , but hey, Knowledge is power !!!

Couple for please:

1. Easiski wrote "the dreaded ESF". have i made a mistake with these. Should i cancel and rebook with someone else

2.Great advice about the kids. What would happen if one lost control shot off down the mountain, what would you do with the other one. Leave them at the top or get them to follow you after the kid out of control.

Cheers

Rich
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Big Rich, I don't know LDA, but I do know kids.
Sandwiches not a good idea.
For a start, they always get squished.
And your kids will want some of that yummy food they see everyone else having: burger and chips, chicken and chips, chips and chips, chocolate and chips.
Eating out in mountain restaurants is a large part of the fun of skiing. Don't stint on it.

P.S. By "eating out" I of course mean "eating in". You will see a fair number of people eating outside the restaurant. Do not join them. They are miserable. Their chips are cold. Their coffee is cold. They are cold.
Eat inside the restaurant like all sensible people.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have found that La Spaghetteria is a fantastic place to eat, they do a large variety of pasta and a soup to die for, all at a very reasonable price(worked out less than £10pp i think) and you hardly have the energy to do anything after it fills you up that much snowHead there website is http://www.lescrepesagogo.com/index.php?menuitem=2&page=spag_index and you will find them at the far end of the resort in what looks like a log cabin with a large conservatory on the front. Hope you have a great time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Always ski in front of them and make it an absolute rule that they MUST NOT overtake you. Sometimes let them go in front, but give them a place you can see to stop at.

I've wondered about this myself. And I agree that you need to dictate the route etc. but the problem comes when you're ahead skiing and therefore constantly having to look behind you at where they are. Also, hoping that they have kept an eye on you and are following and have not deviated off somewhere. In my experience neither in front or behind is ideal. Frequent stops and checks are essential, and not getting to "into your own skiing" so that you forget where your children are or what they are doing.

If you're in front it's also hard if the children fall or have trouble since you may need to climb up to help sort them out. In my experience skiing with my two (age 8 and 6) we skied familiar runs which led to a single point we all knew. I gave them strict instructions on where to go, where to stop etc. I skied, in front and behind, and beside them, depending on the terrain. Eye's in the back of your head are useful. Just keep reminding yourself that this is their skiing time, not yours, so you need to stop more for them, check they can see you/you can see them etc. It's a bit like towing a car, you do the same stuff as normal driving but just allow more time, a wider birth when going round corners and keep an eye on your rear view mirror.

It's great skiing with your own children - very important to have fun, and not wear them out too much, though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fragy, Yes nice food, but just don't sit in the conservatory in winter.......bl##dy freezing!!!
snow report
lol forgot to mention that bit Confused
snow conditions
Big Rich wrote:

1. Easiski wrote "the dreaded ESF". have i made a mistake with these. Should i cancel and rebook with someone else

Easiski is probably too modest to say this herself, so I'll say it: you should cancel and rebook with her!

Besides being extremely generous with her time and advice on Showheads, Easiski is a brilliant instructor, with a great reputation in this place. She taught me a couple of years ago, and my son is already booked in with her for Easter (has been for the last 3 months).

This assumes she has any space left - downside of a great reputation is booking up pretty quick!
snow report
Big Rich, I went to L2A last year for the same week, with a total beginner, was my first time skiing the resort and we all loved it. Stayed in a catered hotel, so breakfast and dinner included, with tea and cakes at about 4pm each day. Didn't bother with lunch, just took a bit of fruit and a chocie bar then stopped for a hot drink about lunch time. The meals were fab and plenty filling Smile Free wine with evening meal too!
My brother didn't know what skis looked like prior to going, but 2 hours with easiski got him up and running and he was hitting reds with us by the middle of the week, I would highly recommed her....
Snow was good for time of year too and there were planty of slopes open although we weren't able to ski back into town at that time of year, so gondolas back down Sad We were able to ski down to Le Cret at 2100m that week ....
Beer is expensive in town and you should shop around if you are eating out on the night the hotel staff have a night off (Friday I think).
snow conditions
Further to my last - as it was my first time skiing in France last year, I noticed the slopes graded differently to say Switzerland for example .... there are some reds at L2A that may be graded as black elsewhere ....... correct me if I'm wrong people Smile So bare that in mind and have fun!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy