Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Most popular ski resorts for British visitors in Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

please can you give me some indication of the top few most popular Austrian ski resorts for British visitors?

I know that Meribel & Val Disire in France, are the most popular French resorts among Brits. Where are the Austrian equivalents?

Many thanks

James.
snow report
 brian
brian
JT1, welcome to snowHead s. Any relation to the original JT ?

Anyway, Soll, Kitzbuhel and St Anton are 3 that spring to mind.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd guess St Anton.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Brian.
I don't know about JT, I am completely new to this forum Very Happy .

Is Mayrhofen also amongst the most popular Austrian resorts with the Brits?

Cheers.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT1, yes, all of the major tour operators (TOs) go to Mayrhofen. Whether it is in the top 5 in terms of popularity, I'm not sure, but it probably scores fairly highly due to the TO coverage. Depends what you mean by "popular"...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
St Anton will always be tops I think, but with more cheap flights going into Salzburg, easy access resorts such as Saalbach will come to the fore.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Top 5 Austrian resorts most searched for online by bods in the UK are :-

St. Anton, Obergurgl, Saalbach / Hinterglemm, Kitzbühel and Söll.

Mayrhofen is in the top ten.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily correspond to where people actually go but it is a good indication of interest.

As ousekjarr said, it depends how you define "popular".
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT1, most of the tour operators base themselves in or around Soll so they have a habit of piling people into those areas.

Mayrhofen always used to be the biggest single resort until people saw it as a beginners place. They've kind of reinvented themselves over the last decade and now attract heaps of young party animals (disgusting behaviour wink ).

Cheap flights to Salzburg has meant that Salzburgerland resorts like Saalbach, Zell am See have become V popular again.

My top 5 (for UK popularity) would be...

Saalbach
St Anton
Kitzbuhel
Soll
Mayrhofen
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
To be honest what I love about Austria is the lack of Brits, plus the nightlife is better than France as well.

As people have said, I'd go for:

Saalbach
Mayrhofen
Kitzbuhel
Obergurgl
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
As everyone else has said, it depends on how you rate popularity, but in terms of general awareness I would say my top ones would be:

St Anton
Mayrhofen
Soll
Kitzbuhel

Doesn't necessarily correspond to the places I like skiing!

D
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT1, why do you want to know? To visit or avoid them.

J
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Been to Soll and really loved it
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kitzbuhel is ok but is fastly becoming popular with the Russians!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
joshua wrote:
Kitzbuhel is ok but is fastly becoming popular with the Russians!

and it opened today

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/story.asp?intStoryID=5137
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I enjoyed Westendorf not many British but on the whole a decent ski area if you include Brixen which gives you access to Scheffau,Ellmau. Have skiied Niederau small resort very popular with the Brits excellent ski schools but limited for the accomplished skier
latest report
joshua, Westendorf has a lot of Irish there. I think it is the most popular destination by TO's from Ireland.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saalbach wish is one of my favourite resorts as I worked there some 15 years ago was not a British Resort. I suggest Zell am See replacing Saalbach. IMO Saalbach is better than Zell.
ski holidays
"JT1, why do you want to know? To visit or avoid them.

J"

Thanks everyone Smile

Hi Janette - more to see Brits than avoid them.

I speak pretty good basic German, which is far better than my French, hence the reason for going to Austria rather than France.

I've been to St Johnann in Tyrol B4, in summer, and there were a few Brits and quite a few Aussies also.

I guess the main thing i don't want is to be surrounded by non-English speakers - thats all. However, in St Johann, most of the locals i spoke to spoke good English.

I'm planning a solo trip for a few weeks+ from the start of the season.....
ski holidays
I've been to mayrhofen a few times 1989 - 1994 but haven't been since until this season that is (2008). The place I remember was a pretty frantic party town with a big long lift queue and some fun skiing. I'm hoping to see how much the area has been extended and we will be hiring a car this year so might drive up and down the valley a bit for a change of scenery.Also reccying things to see if it is a good place for family hols. as France is getting a big stretch on the budget these days. From what I remember the main languages seemed to be English, Dutch and Swedish so I shouldn't worry about your German.
ski holidays
Go fetch a brochure from Crystal, Britain's number one tour-operator.

The more pages a resort has, the more popular it is.

I imagine St Anton-Lech, Kitzbuehel, Zell am See, Obergurgl, Soell, Saalbach-Hinterglemm and Mayrhofen are the big 7 for Brits.
snow conditions
Roy Hockley wrote:
joshua, Westendorf has a lot of Irish there. I think it is the most popular destination by TO's from Ireland.

Last season did two weeks friends in ski school and our son and we didnt bump into any Irish at all. However never did the apres in Westendorf as we stayed twenty minutes away so maybe we missed you all in the pub Laughing
ski holidays
hi jt1

i went to soll last year and mayrhofen the year before

miles preferred mayerhofne - lots of poeple mention the lift queue up to the penken but if you avois the peak time its not that bad. since i went they have also modernised the lift up to the ahorn so that should be more popular now i would think. im going back there in march Very Happy

it seemed fairly even between soll and mayr in terms of proportion of british there although there were also a lot of the oirish and dutch n mayrhofen
ski holidays
According to a mate who repped for Inghams last season their #1 destination in terms of volume is Obergurgl.
ski holidays
joshua, You may now find that some of us "bog trotters" may have clipped English accents these days!!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy