Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Attention bladers! (Or skiboarders or whatever we're calling it this week.)

Poster: A snowHead
My friend hurt her knee last year on blades, and is now looking at buying a pair with release bindings. I've seen some in Go Sport for 150€ - is this a decent price? Are there any online retailers anyone would recommend? She's purely a casual recreational type, not interested in high-spec stuff.

And no 'she should try skis' answers please - you think I haven't said that a million times? rolling eyes She likes blades and is only out for a fun holiday, not interested in having geeky conversations about technique.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why doesn't she get the Wedze for 120 euros from Decath? A proper short skis I've done some quite serious descents on these (Dent de Crolles above grenoble - which merited an article by the Dauphine Libere) and the Pic des Trois Eveches in powder near to you.

RIMG1610

You can get them in snazzier colours than b&w - although not if you want touring bindings Happy

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 9-11-07 9:01; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a mate who seems to enjoy head big easy blades, and this lot have last years model on sale at £144

http://www.devonski.co.uk/skis-head.htm

You need to go down the page a bit, as this yaers at at the top
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof, see, we're into the 'serious descents' and 'powder' stuff already. She's not looking to do any of that. I'm talking on-piste, whizz around, have nice lunch, whizz around a bit more, go home for cake, shopping, piggy dinner with wine. Holidaymaker stuff.

How long are the Wedze thingies? About 100cm?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lizzard wrote:
davidof, see, we're into the 'serious descents' and 'powder' stuff already. She's not looking to do any of that. I'm talking on-piste, whizz around, have nice lunch, whizz around a bit more, go home for cake, shopping, piggy dinner with wine. Holidaymaker stuff.

How long are the Wedze thingies? About 100cm?

But your kind of usage is what they are designed for - I was just exploring the envelope. They are 130cm.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof, OK, I shall have a look. Do you know if they're generally available for hire? She would probably want to try them first, I imagine.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard wrote:
davidof, OK, I shall have a look. Do you know if they're generally available for hire? She would probably want to try them first, I imagine.

They may have a test center in Serre Chevalier... actually the shortest are 127cm. Otherwise you will need to hire from Decathlon.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof, were they hard work in the powder?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kramer wrote:
davidof, were they hard work in the powder?

not for me Laughing

but look, seriously they are not a powder ski so you have to ski faster to get some lift on them. I bought them as a bit of an experiment but they are great for the tree lined hills we have a lot of in the Isere where you simply can't ski big skis. They are also good in narrow chutes - and there are some I know locally that haven't yet been skied.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard, if your friend comes to the Serre Che we have 127's and Big Easy, both with releaseable bindings, that she is welcome to try.Kramer, as davidof, says but I find they work best if its steep and not too deep.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chris, they're skiing in 2Alpes, so while we might toddle over to Serre Che at some point, she will want to hire equipment here.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard wrote:
chris, they're skiing in 2Alpes, so while we might toddle over to Serre Che at some point, she will want to hire equipment here.

Didn't easyski get some Wedgies?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I hired some Rossi FreeZB mini-skis for a week last season, they were good for a laugh. About 127 long I think. I'm not sure if they are still in production. The only real minus was an inability to carry speed/momentum in a schuss, but I suppose that is inevitable with such a short length. The bases weren't in wonderful shape mind you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard wrote:
My friend hurt her knee last year on blades, and is now looking at buying a pair with release bindings. I've seen some in Go Sport for 150€ - is this a decent price? Are there any online retailers anyone would recommend? She's purely a casual recreational type, not interested in high-spec stuff.

And no 'she should try skis' answers please - you think I haven't said that a million times? rolling eyes She likes blades and is only out for a fun holiday, not interested in having geeky conversations about technique.

depends what your friend wants to get out of it, easy answer would be to get the cheaper option. ie blades, atomic etl, rossi freez or the head big easy's. out of them i would reccomend the head's.
or have a look at a couple of the skiboard sites, www.skiboards.com or www.skiboardsonline there you will find better boards than the ones previously mentioned. i have 3 sets of boards, summit customs 110's, hagan off limits 133's and revel8 condors 110's. i only have releasable fitted to the hagans. with the strength of the £ against the $ it may be worth getting some better boards, the boards i have ride sooooo much better than the cheaper blade type boards, and your not limited to purely on-piste fun
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
graeme, is there anywhere in europe you can hire those bigger boards for a try-out? I don't remember seeing them anywhere but the internet.........
snow report
Lizzard, davidof's point is a good one, and I'm interested to hear he's done some proper stuff on them. We have the shorter Wedze's, which are 120 and would be better for your friend than the longer ones. But they don't feel like blades (I do both), they feel heavier, more like skis (and much preferable, I'd say). I'd say they are an alternative to skis, not blades.

But if someone likes blades, 150 euros is a good price. It's really important to have proper bindings, I've given up using mine because they don't. A young Frenchman of my acquaintance broke his leg really badly on blades which don't release. That put me right off them.
latest report
the ice perv, if you would like to, and accept all responsibility for them, you can have a set of mine for a week or two. unless it clashes with one of my hols that is. let me know
ski holidays
Bluddy hell graeme, what a generous offer! Shocked Smile Not sure about the logistics tho, what with you being up there in the NE and me being darn sarf. I think I'll have a hunt around in resort this winter, see what I can find, thanks anyway.
snow conditions
the ice perv, i will ship a set to you, then you ship them back, its as easy as that. it would be good to get someone to try a set, so that skiboards can actually be compared to blades
snow report
I've skied Head Big Easy's for a few seasons and can give them a big thumbs up. Great fun all over the mountain but as mentioned previously, you'll need to keep the speed up off piste.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy