Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TK Maxx

Poster: A snowHead
Durham

Womens-poor selection, I tried on a burnt orange Helly Hansen jacket. Zip out inner quilted coat, and lots of pockets and features. Colour did nowt for me. but a £60 bargain for someone . Loads of Pheonix Goretex gloves, pink (YUK) , grey and black in a selection of sizes . No extra small ones so no purchase made, but a bargain at £30 (were £50 when I got mine from Slush and Rubble). Bought a Trekmates Merino Wool baselayer for £19 (rrp £40) no matching longjohns though. Rubbish socks, all tubes.

Mens' -tons of choice, too much to browse through. Noticed a 'fetching ' tartan Quiksilver jacket. Better selection of socks etc.

Kids-seemed to be lots of tiny stuff, and teenage stuff but not a lot for others.

Off to check out Team Valley Gateshead this afternoon.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helen Beaumont, must have a look in the Waterlooville branch. Don't really need anything, but if they had some good things.... wouldn't mind some nice new gloves.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I find down here in South Wales there is loads of choice for women and very little for men. They need to sort their distribution! Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
TK Max known to our teenagers as TacKy Max Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen Beaumont, I have to say that was about the balance in the Basildon branch when I went in last week - virtually no goretex gloves full stop - though a fair amount in other fabrics for the guys. Lots of nice mens jackets - and salopettes - they were light on these last year. Very few womens jackets or salopettes. Again the middle range for children (the ones I want ) was very poor, and virtually no kids gloves - only one pair of mittens for kids in the whole selection. Goggles were non-existent - last year they had a good assortment for kids. Going to try again though as apparently they get stock in all the time
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, ours had some Bolle and Carrera googles, in the ladies section anyway, I didn't check the kids ones out though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont, It's mainly kids stuff I'm after this year - I could do with a new pair of kids mittens for an 8/9 year old, a new pair of googles for the same age and a neutrally coloured ski jacket for around the same age or slightly older so it does a couple of years. I wouldn't say no to another pair of gloves for me though (esp. orange ones wink and might even be tempted by an orange helmet wink wink ) , but mustn't try on any more jackets or salopettes - got to wear out those I have first. I might copy this over to the buy and sell thread thinking about it - sometimes folks on here have decent gear to shift.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi everyone,

I got some brilliant North Face sunglasses in Hartlepool's TK Maxx. Worth £70 at least some places selling them for £160!!!!!!!!!!!

£25 bargain!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not a lot in Tamworth last week, but then again, nowhere ever has anything in my size (6) anyway.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, have you tried Decathlon for cheap kids gear?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Elizabeth B, Lots have suggested it in the Buy and sell thread, but it's someway distant from me - Lakeside or edge of London, so would require a special trip out - Petrol + Hassle to get there = I'd sooner get stuff locally, post or ebay if I can - I'll probably hold out for TX MAXX a little longer - some gear there is reasonable if you look round - the fact that I want two kids out of one buy means that cheap new gear is probably a better option. I got a super pair of Surfanic salopettes for the eldest there last year - and now want a similar Jacket - luckily I've got until February to sort out something and could even sort out a trip to a Decathlon the week before if things got desperate. Thanks for the suggestion though.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, don't you have to drive through bits of France on the way to the mysterious resort X? Stop at Decathlon on the way - they're all over the shop here.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, Decathlon budget gear would still probably work out cheaper than TK Maxx. I've never bought kids stuff there, but for myself....

Fleece jumper £7
Cycling gloves (that I wear for skiing coz my hands get too hot) £6
Ski trousers £9 (a couple of years ago....not very breathable, but did me for about 10 weeks)
Skis & bindings £250 (RRP £400)
Snowboard bindings & boots £130 (RRP 300)

etc etc
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, Good idea but we arrive in France about 11pm and by 10am in the morning are in Resort so the shops are unlikely to be open.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Picled up two poivre blanc suits for the kids at at just under half price at 39.99 in the chelmsford store. Lovely quality.
ski holidays
ian bloomfield, TK MAXX in Chelmsford? I didn't know there was one - it must be new?
ski holidays
Went into Tacky Max in Salisbury to day. To describe it as a jumble sale does a dis-service to jumble sales Sad
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:
Went into Tacky Max in Salisbury to day. To describe it as a jumble sale does a dis-service to jumble sales Sad

Wife started going to look for ski gear. I lasted less than 30 seconds and went to some nice shop in Calais where there was a nice selection laid out simply and the sales staff were helpful and smiled.

Tacky Max is a Shocked ing experience
snow conditions
gwaelod, What partcularly annoyed me were two 'Gentleman' old enough to know better who were trying on Ski Jackets and when finished simply chucked the jackets over the back of the rail where they fell to the floor. Sad
ski holidays
Ours is always quiet when I visit. However, Decathlon is much better, and we will probably stop off at the Grenoble one on our next trip down.
Lizzard, BTW, I noticed Grenoble now has an Ikea.
snow report
Megamum, Chelmer Valley retail park innit!
snow report
there is a big tk maxx in dundee I'll be going there tmw by the sounds of it, hope i can find that quiksilver jacket 'tartan' as worn by candide thovex. Such an awesome jacket. Plus what else is there to do on a sunday.
snow report
ian bloomfield, It wasn't there the last time I went, but that could have been some time ago.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, Gt.Yarmouth branch (still above water) has HUGE selection - two really long racks of jackets alone. No call for ski jackets in yarmouth - shell suits & vests maybe..... meioooooooow. Toofy Grin

boredsurfin, the grottier the area, the better stuff left in the shop don't you think?
ski holidays
rpft, Good theory, there was naff all decent stuff left except in XXL, unless of course it was all kicked under the rails Sad
snow report
boredsurfin, what a shame - the mens rail in yarmouth was great too - but I didn't look at sizes - I was trying to be good Sad
snow conditions
I have just been to the two flagships stores of SnR and EB at Chertsey and MK respectively...or at least I assume they would be the flagship stores, and walked out with nothing, zip, zero ......despite being almost desperate to buy some ski pants in black....
I wanted a decent fit, wasn't so fussed about XCR or the price as long as they would be great in the mountain...and was told that Softshell is sold as water-resistant...hmmmm, so that wiped out half my choices, and that they make some funny sizes..!! FWIW, I'm 183, 80-85kgs so tall and slim...not fat or skinny..and could I get anything....????
And to top it all...sizing apart, nothing I found from ANYONE is any better that what I have. So my ad in the 'sell' section will not include most of the stuff...

So, the conclusion from this thread is...who do these people sell to...??????????????????
snow conditions
JT, I know what you mean about sizing. Now I'm a size 6. Do you usually associate size 6 with having good feminine curves. No. We are little and skinny. So why do they make the size 6 as a smaller version of larger sizes for those lucky ladies who do have curves? Either I have huge baggy flappy trousers in the hip area and a nice loose waist or an over-tight waist but a decent fit elsewhere. Or I buy kids' age 12 and put up with the legs being too short and having My Little Pony embroidered on them.

It's not just ladies clothes that are a problem - Mr Docsquid tried to buy some black trousers last year. The mens trousers didn't fit in any size - the waist was much too big in relation to the rest of the trousers. So he ended up with (don't laugh) a pair of size 14 ladies trouers, which fitted perfectly. Now Mr Docsquid is pretty slight, and no way does he have a feminine shape. So what exactly are these people who design ski trousers doing?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
ian bloomfield, TK MAXX in Chelmsford? I didn't know there was one - it must be new?

been there years. at the Chelmer Retail Park, where Halfords is.
snow report
Yup, I know the retail park with the big Halfords - it must be years since I visited as the last time I visited there was no TKMAXX there.
snow report
docsquid, don't they do trousers for teenage boys which would be very skinny-fit with long enough legs?
snow report
Incidentally, what sort of price are ladies salopettes/trousers in TKM at the minute - got a young friend asking me!
snow conditions
NewSkier, various prices I'd say depending on the make.
snow conditions
well to add to the thread, just been dragged to Matalan and a small man's trespass ski jacket for my 15 year old son only cost me £30.00. Went to the equally horrible ( actually worse)TK Max and there wasn't anything there that cheap.

This Trespass jacket is actually very good, waterproof, windproof, snow skirt, 4 outer and one inner pocket. We have a trespass shop locally that sells all the last season stuff and even thy are no where near that cheap. The smaller junior sizes where all set at £15.00 but the largest size seemed to be just 12-13 years.
snow report
TK Maxx - Waterlooville

Another 'jumble' style experience but a large amount ski clothing for both men and women available. Trespass, Helly Hansen, Protest & Roxy were in large supply. Goggles by Bloc & Sinner (bet S + R are happy about that in their large store a few miles away in Port Solent), Ignite Beanies + Phoenix Gore Gloves.
ski holidays
Megamum, it's still there Mrs B went in it this morning, apparently we need spare suits for the kids in case their's get wet????!!!!!! rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes Puzzled
I helpfully corrected her assertion, good job things can be taken back easily.
ski holidays
The thing with TKM is you have to be prepared to accept that you won't always find what you want when you visit. I pop in during my lunch break from time to time and invariably get nothing but occasionally grab a real bargain. You also have to be prepared to trawl from one end of the rail to the other and even in different sizes as they do get mixed up.

I found a nice Quiksilver jacket last week but it was the only one in that style left and just happpened to be my size.

I go during the week and usually virtually have the mens department to myself but I can appreciate the experience would be less rewarding on a busy Saturday. Confused

At the end of the day you pays your money and takes your choice - spend big bucks shopping in a nice environment and get exactly what you want, or trawl through all the cr@p in the vain hope you may find a hidden gem for peanuts.

Sadly, I find myself doing the latter more often than I should. Embarassed

Always remember, it's only cheap if you need it!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy