Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Women's snowboards

Poster: A snowHead
As we have xmas looming and my other half's birthday is mid-January, she's expressed that her cheapo board (which is battle scarred to hell) needs replacing.

I know there quite a few lady boarders here at snowHeads so what's the general concensus about female-specific boards? Do they actually work for women or is it just the graphics that make them 'girly' and nothing else?

She's not expressed any views on how her current board performs and really isn't too bothered about board performance etc. She's not exactly 'pro-level' just yet but can go down a hill reasonably well and is just getting the hang of high-speed turns.

The one she has was only £85 off ebay and to me (I'd don't know that much about boards either) it's too flexy, even thugh it's done her proud so far. She's doing what many of us do at some point, basing her decision on the looks of the board. We got the new TSA brochure through last night and she immediately said she likes the look of the new 07/08 K2 Mix 151. The board she uses now is a 151 so lengthwise, there's no difference there.

I have a contact at K2 who I'll be able to get the board through at a reduced rate (less than £200 instead of the £330 RRP) but are there any suggestions for alternatives that the laydees out there rate highly? She also likes the look of the Battaleon Distortia, but that's £295 and will mean I'll be living on Tesco Value beans and drinking meths for the remainder of the year!! Smile

£200 - £230 is about as much as my less-than-deep pockets can manage.

Views, opinions and general stuff more than welcome from the female contingent.... snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i have expensive taste when it comes to kit so i really am not the best to ask unless you wanna live on DUST for the rest of the year Twisted Evil

The next issue (15th or 17th Oct ?)of White Lines has a massive board review so maybe wait and see what they have to say for recommends
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Specialman, not being female might make this irrelevant but anyways: AFAICT the female specific boards tend to be a bit softer and more flexable (in addition to girly graphics) while this might be a good thing when starting out I'd think that once you've got a bit of experience and are putting some power into the board then this could become limiting.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
debbi, with the TSA brochure I had a little Document Snowboard flyer that had a pic of a snowboard test - I haven't seen this month's mag so may check this out if it's in there.

Swirly, kind of what i thought. Might get here a 'girly looking' bloke's board with a bit more stiffness.

Additional info to original post: She's 5' 4" and 8st/112lb/roughly 50kg. Also, she doesn't need a wide board 'cos she has dainty little size 5s.

Have seen these:

http://www.filarinskis.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=788_822_828_830&products_id=1801

http://www.filarinskis.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=788_822_828_830&products_id=1800
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use very little women's kit myself because I'm tall, so the boards are never long enough for me.

However, for a smaller woman I think they can be very helpful - a man and a woman of the same height will be likely to have different weights and strengths - though it all depends on the individual of course - so the good performance women's boards are still stiff, but a little lighter.

Women's boards I often see rated highly are the Ride Kashmir, Rome Blue and the Burton Feelgood. K2 womens I don't know much about - the Luna is supposed to be a good starter board but sounds like she could do with a bit more challenge.

Powder Room is a super women's snowboard site and you'll find plenty of people discussing the kit here:
http://www.powderroom.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

If she has small feet, she may find women's bindings much better, if she doesn't have them at the mo?

hope this helps Very Happy great present!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Specialman, I have the Rome Blue, its stiff & it rocks big time ..... but it aint cheap Twisted Evil

Looked at your links & the Lotus looks better as the Radiant is geared for park use. good price too !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
keep the flexy board and bung her into the park Smile

I want to get my missus the burton feelgood, she's been riding a burton bullet for a while but I want to try her on a woman specific board, she has a bit of trouble getting the jibby stuff done, I suspect it's the board that's too stiff.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stab, why stick to Burton, theres so many better boards out there and cheaper too..
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
She has no interest (at the moment) in park-type riding - she just wants to go downhill at a rate of knots and beat me to the bottom!! Who said women aren't competetive!! Smile

firebug, she bought some Head PX bindings (plus some sweet looking Burton Emerald boots) at a bargain price - £100 for the lot – when she started and she loves both the boots and bindings. She just doesn't like her board for aesthetic reasons and the fact it's too flexy when she's going downhill. I suspect the flex in the board isn't helping her turn at speed but I could be wrong. It might just be that she's a mental!!

Showed here the Salomon Lotus and she loves the graphics... might be an easier task to complete than I first thought. Phew!!

Keep the comments coming...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Specialman, My daughter is a good intermediate, park, blacks, moguls, bit of off-piste and she rides a Nitro Fate, which she is really pleased with, something along those lines may suit your OH to grow into, but she will probably upgrade this or next season.

When looking to buy a board for both of my sons, I did plenty of research and got plenty of good info on here, and alot of personal help on SCUK .
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
debbi wrote:
stab, why stick to Burton, theres so many better boards out there and cheaper too..

yeah I know, I don't rate burton at all, but then I don't ride burton Smile Except maybe this years dominant, that interests me.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
for what it's worth, I have a Burton Uninc for the park (which I also use for my general everyday board, mainly) and Ride Timeless for the big powder days

Specialman, that's cool that the boots and bindings are good Smile Could you maybe get to a demo day? I think there are quite a few coming up at the snowdomes?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stab wrote:

I want to get my missus the burton feelgood, she's been riding a burton bullet for a while but I want to try her on a woman specific board, she has a bit of trouble getting the jibby stuff done, I suspect it's the board that's too stiff.

She must have huge feet to be riding a Burton Bullet comfortably. I'd be more inclined to think that it's far too wide.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
firebug, good idea. She works funny shifts that always seem to clash with anything I organise, but I'll check what's going on at Tam and MK and maybe it'll help the decision making process.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lager wrote:
stab wrote:

She must have huge feet to be riding a Burton Bullet comfortably. I'd be more inclined to think that it's far too wide.

nah it's not the wide bullet, and she has uk 7 I think. If I ride it with my uk 10 then I drag my toe/heel a touch on the turns but then I don't ride it often and the bindings probably need adjusting for my feet.
snow conditions
I've got the Salomon Lotus Cool Bought it this year (board & matching bindings £200) and it's first outing was at the MSB Very Happy

It's my first board and prior to that I've always hired. It is a light board and mine is the 147 but if Mrs Spesh is used to riding on a longer board then I think the extra length will give a bit more stability.
snow report
Dobz wrote:
It is a light board and mine is the 147

last year I was riding a 137 for a few days, fun fun fun.

Just noticed this
Quote:
If she has small feet, she may find women's bindings much better, if she doesn't have them at the mo?

She should be using womens bindings no matter what, women have muscles in different parts of the leg to men, this is why womens high backs are lower than mens. Wow, I know something Laughing Shocked
snow conditions
Dobz, had a scout around on the web last night and she's pretty much set on the Lotus now - she reckons it's a great looking board and it seems to get the thumbs up on various websites etc for what she wants it for.

Seen a 151 Lotus on ebay with Salomon Grace bindings included so will keep my eye on this. Think Grace's are about £70 so if I can get the set for £200 I'll be a happy chappy. Wink

Her current board is a 151 but she's not sure whether she wants to go shorter toi help her master turns better, or stick with a 151 so she can maybe slide a bit further and a bit faster. I've just stepped down from a 166 to a 157 and it's helped me no-end, but the downsizing is not for everyone methinks.

stab, didn't know that! She gets on with her Head bindings really well and swears that they are more comfortable than the rental Flows she's stuck her boot in once or twice. They are fella's bindings but in a small and she has no complaints, well, not for £45 anyway. Very Happy
ski holidays
Specialman, just to throw another name at you check this out http://www.highsocietyfreeride.com/snowboards_scarlet.php having said my piece about womens boards, if this rides like their others then it'll be a lot of fun.
ski holidays
stab, that's *generally* true but not always, depends very much on the individual. I've tried women's boots and bindings and never found them to fit me well. I agree it may be worth trying them out if you can find a demo day.
ski holidays
Specialman, How about afew more to add to the mix then:-
1) Palmer Liberty - £240 (RRP £350) All mountain intermediate and above women's snowboard.

2) Flow Quantum £209.99 (RRP £300) Twintip Freestyle Snowboard.

3) K2 Skyla £179
snow conditions
debbi wrote:
Twintip Freestyle Snowboard.

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

ya what??
ski holidays
Swirly, don't blame me !!! its marketing crap
snow conditions
Specialman, Mine are Grace bindings and as [b]Stab[/] said about the backs, they are not as high as mens bindings.

I got mine from Sail & Ski in Chester. Just had a quick looksie on their website and they are selling board for £169.99 and bindings £69.99 but FREE delivery.

If we lived a bit closer Mrs Spesh could borrow my kit for a try out at a Snowdome.
snow conditions
Swirly wrote:
debbi wrote:
Twintip Freestyle Snowboard.

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

ya what??

same shape at both ends with bindings equal distance from each end and bendy Very Happy
latest report
firebug wrote:
stab, that's *generally* true but not always, depends very much on the individual. I've tried women's boots and bindings and never found them to fit me well.

but did they match your handbag? That's more important.
snow report
Of course, and I dyed my poodle to match them both! Very Happy
snow report
schweeeet Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
more girls should go in for that
latest report
on a side note with all this girl's snowboard talk anyone know where I would get shocking pink mens snowboard trousers? It's my new look this season, real men wear pink Smile
ski holidays
stab, can't find any mens in pink - can't you just buy some in the 'fat tall bird' size ? Razz
ski holidays
Bonfire do em for the laydeez - maybe get big ones of these?? Logo is a bit froufrou but hey, these are modern times!

latest report
Burton do the 'Petal Pink cargo pant' - still girlie but YOU KNOW YOU WANNA WEAR THE WOMENS CLOTHES wink

latest report
firebug wrote:
Bonfire do em for the laydeez - maybe get big ones of these?? Logo is a bit froufrou but hey, these are modern times!

that's the color. I have seen some men's ones in that color but don't remember where, maybe it was in zermatt?
snow report
Gutted - been waiting for the last few minutes on ebay for a 2008 Salomon Lotus 151 with Salomon Grace bindings and I've busied myself sorting my photography kit for a shoot tomorrow and missed the bloody bidding!!! How annoyed with myself am I - very!! Evil or Very Mad

Went for £185 plus £30 postage - cheapest I've found that setup for in the UK is £250. Could have saved myself £35. What a tw@t!! rolling eyes

Any suggestions onw here I can get cheap boards from? I know where I can get the same board for £150 + £10p+p but she wanted the bindings as well. I feel deflated... time for a beer Sad
snow report
Specialman, oh dear oh dear oh dear
ski holidays
debbi, I know Confused

**cringes**
snow conditions
Joy 'O' joys - bagged the missus a 07/08 season K2 Mix 148cm for a bargain price (less than £150) through a mate in the trade. She doesn't know that I'm getting it for her so I reckon she'll be stoked when it comes to crimbo - brownie points here we come Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Specialman, the best bit is when they hit rocks on the boards you buy them, if you're like me you couldn't give a damn about rock damage but the women get all sorry about it wink
ski holidays
My bird's current board (a cheapo £80 board off ebay) has a few nicks and marks and she's like "It's ruined, I'll never be able to ride it again!" Very Happy

As long as mine's waxed and ready to go, I couldn't care less. The fact that it's £40 Elan board off ebay (I buy too much from that bloody site!!) that's day-glo orange doesn't bother me. It has marks all over, bits of araldite filling holes and and me attached to it but it goes like the wind and turns like a dream. Best 40 big ones I've spent for ages Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 1-11-07 1:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy