Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bootfitters please take my money!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am based in London and will be in Zurich then either St Anton or Klosters 5th to 12 Jan. I have up to £500 to spend but would prefer to spend ~ up to £350 and am looking for a good boot fitted well to my feet which are reasonably flat and quite narrow but otherwise no major defects.

I am looking to spend more time developing my off piste skiing over the next 5 years but due to the expense of hiring guides still only can afford 2 days in every week taken skiing for full off piste.

In terms of skiing I use Head XRC's on piste and Volkl Gottama's off. I like to ski fairly quickly and agressively but still ski for fun rather than competitive, i.e. sometimes like nice big turns sometimes like to wiggle with tight turns etc.

I tried the Atomic Hawx 110 out in Tignes over the weekend and apart from slight rub on right foot top of little toe was nicely comfortable. My skiing was surprisingly good for first time of the year and on fast hardpack.

Saying this am very open to trying different makes and open to skilled guidance.

Okay, I would also like some advice on another topic Ski touring boots as maybe climbing Elbrus during Spring 2008 and so will ski tour the area.
SMZ has given some advice to me on this topic in the past.

If there is a 1 boot does all (a long shot I know) I could be interested in this compromise purely because annual budget for new equipment is not massive and there is plenty of stuff to buy during 2008.

Also I do already ski entry level Salomon boots which with a little fit could always do the job for piste skiing. Leaving me to concentrate a purchase elsewhere.

Please could any of the usual suspects who want to take my money in return for their skillz comment on how, where and when I could get fitted.

If it is possible to do so in or near London then this would be extremely helpful.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
plectrum - have you considered going up to see CEM?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PhillipStanton,

Yes I do not mind which of the excellent bootfitters from this board I am too see, if it can be acheived within my budget and I can get to see them reasonably conveniently then I am ready to spend.

I had hoped to visit Chamonix in summer to walk glacier and visit SZK but it just didn't come about.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Plectrum,
I recommended this company earlier:

Heierling | Davos-Switzerland | +41 (0)81 416 31 30 | heierling@bluewin.ch
www.heierling.ch

If you are in Klosters and in need of boots seeing them is a must. They offer an amazing service which includes 3D computer graphs, laser alignment, etc... They make own brand foam liner and footbeds. You will probably stay within your budget.

(for SPAM police) - I speak from my own experience. I have no association with the aforementioned company other than being a very happy and satisfied cusomer. Smile

good luck!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Turns n turns, just gave them a grilling about all their services and their views on the Hawx which they helped design. Sound like nice guys so if I decide on Klosters then Fitting can happen on site! Unless anyone takes my cash before hand ... does anyone have any feedback on Profeet in London as they are very close to me.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've used ProFeet for footbeds and running shoes. I wouldn't rush back now I've met SZK and CEM.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PhillipStanton, Thanks hmm I think it could boil down to whether it dumps in Davos this weekend! As i am wanting to book my accomodation soon and if I'm goign to Davos and these guys are da bomb then it makes alot of sense to fit on site.

One piece of advice I was just given that if off piste and ski touring is limited to small ascents up to 300 m then it is best still to use a downhill stiffer boot rather than a compromise such as Garmont Adren or Endor.

I kinda hate having to buy compromise!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PhillipStanton wrote:
I've used ProFeet for footbeds and running shoes. I wouldn't rush back now I've met SZK and CEM.

Ditto. Bought boots from Profeet a few years ago. Good service, but not to the same standard as the service that I've since had from CEM and SZK.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
plectrum,

Maybe I'll let you know what my Endophins are like after tomorrow when I will use them in earnest. I am not so sure where the compromise is as they are pretty stiff. I had the same thinking and went Endo...but I do know quite a few like the idea of a stiff alpine boot over a tourer for shorts ascents. The say the Endo will turn over big boards...!!!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT, They say the Endo will turn over big boards...!!!!

What does this mean?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can you please tell me what CEM and SZK mean and where they are based? Also please advice on a good bootfitter in London area. Any good words for PROFEET?
Thanks
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SERJOE, CEM is the login name for the guy (Colin) who runs Solutions4feet.com based in Bicester. SZK is an abbreviation for SmallZookeeper which is the login name for the guy who runs the Footworks bootfitters in Chamonix. I've used Profeet before and was pleased with the service, but having now used the services of CEM and SZK I'd recommend them over Profeet.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
plectrum,

The boot is stiff enough to turn big skis, which might be a step up from normal touring boots. They aren't as light as some, so probably will not not score with tourers where weight is THE thing, but they seem to be a good all round boot that covers all bases. They have adjustable soles, Vibram for AT bindings and ISO for alpine bindings. Be careful if you have a vibram sole on an Alpine bindings as a) the sole might not fit the binding, and b) more importantly, the Vib sole with an ISO binding might compromise the release mechanics. I have used the latter..but only gingerly, at MK, and wouldn't do it on the hill.

The Endo is capable and stiff enough IMV. You wouldn't race in them, but everything else seems ok...

Get them with the G-fit and you save a bit of weight...

The only thing I have come across so far, that needs a bit of work, and I have heard of this being mentioned before, is the forward lean settings.... walk= walk, but it is diificult at frst to know whether you are in 'forward lean' 1 or 2..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
plectrum, my first ski boots were fitted at Profeet, but they only lasted 3 years as the liner packed out. Turned out I'd been given a size too big. Having said that my husband and a friend are very happy with their Profeet boots, so I may have just been unlucky.
Went to Surefoot in Verbier to buy new boots and was very impressed with the fitting and service. Surefoot are opening a branch in SW6 soon: www.surefoot.com
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
doh reh meh

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 3-12-07 10:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I would like to know who are CEM and SZK...how do I find out ?...I have to say that even buying from the best boot fitter you should be pretty sure which shell is optimum for you before you start...I checked as many models as I could before I went to a "recognised expert" and they came to exactly the same conclusion as I had...without me telling them anything...and those shells and liners have been perfect apart from minor adjustments I have made myself...and I have skied 5 seasons virtually everyday in them and they are still fine...that is almost 100 solid weeks...having had 5 pairs over the previous 7 years...3 of them foamed. These new boots got me thru my grade 1 and 2 and test technique...maybe the best fitter is the one wearing them but i have heard good reports from people whose judgement i would certanly trust about 2 places in the UK...thankfully I don't live in the UK but it's comforting for those of you that do. I could recommend the place i went but I don't know if I am allowed to on here ?? Before you ask it's not my shop !!
snow report
krunchie63, PM me?
ski holidays
krunchie63, CEM is on holiday at the mo. His website is www.solutions4feet.co.uk
He is based in Bicester near the Bicester Designer outlet shopping village. So a good day out for all wink
snow report
Aha..thanks i know CEM then....how do i PM smallzookeeper ?
snow conditions
krunchie63, Top of the page, under logo, send/recieve messages.
ski holidays
krunchie63, You are allowed to give any advice you see fit so by all means post good reports of shops and services.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy