Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you always wear your helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
Spyderman wrote:
skimottaret,
Quote:
It also comes with the most camp, poncy carry container I have ever seen.

That was especially for you and rob@rar, wink Laughing

Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
depends whether you consider you have got brains to spill or not, if you are intelligent, then you will realise that you do need a helmet, if you are not intelligent, then perhaps not so much brains to spill, so you think you don't need one.

I always wear a helmet
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
innerspaceservices, that's a load of old rubbish.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldn't really see why beginners or intermediates need helmets... Advanced/expert skiers and those freeriders I would say need to have them...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep - I am an ISIA qualified instructor and I always wear my helmet teaching or otherwise (when skiing that is !!) - I have only had 2 accidents in the last 3 years....one a snowboarder entered the piste from some trees without stopping or looking and I was demoing short radius turns down the edge of the piste and he snuck out just behind me and landed on the backs of my skis - it felt like someone had lifted my skis up from under me and pulled them away - very odd I thought - anyway he chipped his two front teeth on the back of my crash helmet - I was fine, he was very sad. The other was in a queue for a gondola and someone dropped their skis on my head (still inside the crash helmet luckily) as I was standing a couple of steps below them - so I am a fan of my crash helmet - I would not advocate making it compulsory though - you should do what makes you feel comfortable - if pupils turn up to my lessons without helmets that is entirely their choice - if, however they turn up with snow blades or skis that a Cool re more than 10 years old with a radius of 50mtrs or more - I send them to have tea and give them their money back.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm not sure that anyone needs to have them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yep i wouldnt ski without my helmet ,i forget its there ,also its good for a helmet cam snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Considering so many of us have skied without helmet for decades and managed to do so well in life, (with or without brain Smile ) I think the issue is very much moot.

Either helmet is over-rated, or brain is (over-rated)! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good point abc,
But then many of us old'ns also drove without seat belts . . . and after many pints in the pub . .
I don't think you would suggest we return to those days, do you wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
abc, Skiers with less ability are now skiing faster than they used to, as a result of better equipment, plus slopes are busier, etc. 2 friends of mine were taken out standing in lift lines, the dent in one of their helmet's was a big vote for wearing them.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spyderman, yup, it's the high speed traffic on piste that's dangerous for beginners and intermediates.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonpim wrote:
Good point abc,
But then many of us old'ns also drove without seat belts . . . and after many pints in the pub . .
I don't think you would suggest we return to those days, do you wink

I wouldn't suggest we "return to those days". But I do think it (seatbelt), too, might be over-rated, as we discussed a bit earlier in this thread regardling safety equipments in cars.

Not saying they're useless. Just over-rated.

And perhaps more likely, over-rated by their over zealous proponants.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard, what do you mean thats a load of rubbish,the only thing which is rubbish is your brain,thats why it isnt worth protecting.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, you started a thread asking about in helmet entertainment,what that about,you wear a helmet. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timmaah wrote:
I wouldn't really see why beginners or intermediates need helmets... Advanced/expert skiers and those freeriders I would say need to have them...

The benefit for beginners wearing a helmet is probably a combination of confidence building and protection. I know that Mrs Richard E had several bumps and bangs to her head on the first day of the PSB (ice and T - Bar) so we bought a helmet and she felt much more secure, even if the helmet didn't improve the skiing Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:
yes, if you count 19 as young.

Timmaah, Laughing Laughing Laughing

Aren't you afraid that some boring old fart will crash into you? Possibly deliberately, driven wild by jealousy of your youth and athleticism.
snow conditions
I've said this before and I will say it again and again.

you wear a helmet if you are intelligent - coz you have lots of brains to spill, you don't wear a helmet if you are not intelligent, coz I suppose you don't have the brain capacity to know what common sense is.

I knocked myself out first week, then worn a helmet ever since, it has prevented me from getting brain damage about 2 - 3 times in 3 years, I even bruised my head with the helmet on, god knows what would have happened without it and my husband took some convincing to wear one, the first week he did, he fell and a ski went across his helmet, he was mighty glad he had the helmet on and never had his scalp sliced open.

helmets are not just for beginners, I am doing extreme stuff now, does that mean I shouldn't wear a helmet! (wot a joke)

anyway it is toasty warm on my head and ears.
latest report
I've only ever banged my head in the first few weeks of skiing, but in gullies etc I alway wear my lid... actually... I always wear it.
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:
I've only ever banged my head in the first few weeks of skiing

That explains a lot. wink Laughing
snow report
Spyderman, Even that didn't put me off *drool*. And it was a "flip over backwards" on a hard piste senario Embarassed
snow report
Scarpa, That explains even more. Laughing
snow report
Spyderman, OMG.. youuuuu meannnnnn... it knocked some sense into me??????
snow conditions
Several of my friends wear helmets, but I can't get one that fits adequately!
My head is long & narrow and if I get one that fits front to back, I can almost fit a fist in the side.
Been skiing 30 years plus and so far have been safe, but with busier pistes I guess it's almost inevitable at some time. If I could get one th at fits, I'm sure I'd buy, and probably wear it most of the time too.
CW
snow report
cardweg, Mmmmm... fisting!!! Laughing
latest report
Scarpa, SSSSHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
snow conditions
innerspaceservices, why the need to be so blatantly rude and offensive to those who choose not to wear helmets?? Some of us have been skiing since we were very small without them and now would prefer to continue not to wear them. Doesn't mean we don't realise that a helmet could be beneficial if we have an accident or get crashed into but as adults with brains and freedom of choice it is a risk we decide to take. As yet the nanny state can't force us, apart from when racing or training and even I think it's probably best I wear a helmet then! Very Happy But according to your assessment I should head off to hand my degrees back now as apparently I am totally unintelligent and brainless rolling eyes If you had not knocked yourself out in the first week of skiing would you still have worn a helmet ever since??
ski holidays
vivski,
Quote:

If you had not knocked yourself out in the first week of skiing would you still have worn a helmet ever since??

This is an excellent point. There is no way I would, in my dotage, have started to wear a helmet had I not been biffed on the head!
snow conditions
vivski wrote:
innerspaceservices, why the need to be so blatantly rude and offensive to those who choose not to wear helmets??

This is perfect BZK. Look over the other thread about instrutor who "talk down" to their peeps.

Only this case, it's not even an instructor. Just an over-reaching nanny.

As I've noticed quite early on, the brain of the "helmet nanny" are over-rated. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You are probably all aware anyway but it is now compulsory for childern under 15 (I think) to wear crash helmets on the slopes in Italy - that was introduced about 2 years ago.
I would totally oppose making the wearing of helmets compulsory for adults skiing or boarding even though I would never ski without mine anymore. I only started when I started racing for my exams and had been skiing without a helmet for 14 years and it was an odd sensation at first. Your hearing is affected but the advantage of that is you have to hear all the ski tech BS talked by most holidaymakers when you're on the lifts...maybe I should wear it in the bar afterwards too - 20 weeks of the same old sloaney rot year in year out is like the chinese water torture - when asked if anything has changed about skiing in the last 15 years I am tempted to reply that the level of cxxp talked about equipment and "technique" is as buoyant as ever !!
snow report
Quote:

you don't wear a helmet if you are not intelligent,

Riiiight. Best hand back my degree certificate, cancel the Telegraph crossword subscription and resign my job then.

If you've dinged your head that badly, that often, perhaps it might be time to consider being a bit more in control when you ski, hmmm?
snow conditions
I meant to say you DON'T have to hear all the blah blah blah - lucky I'm not a writer - my stuff reads like Stanley Unwin.
ski holidays
krunchie63,
Quote:

my stuff reads like Stanley Unwin

I like it - yours and Stanley Unwin's!
latest report
pam w, Surely my athleticism and thriving youth skill will allow me out-pace those old envious grumpy folk NehNeh

Kramer, so you think people who pull off backflips and jump off 30ft kickers don't need a helmet?

Also, remember jumping off a jump for the first time, instructor didn't bother to tell me to learn forward... Was quite a large jump for me at the time and I landed on my head and ended up getting a mild concussion. Helmet was on, but I suspect it may have been a bit too tight and may have done more damage than good at the time. The days following the concussion have since been a bit of a blur...
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
Spyderman, Yeah i am real happy with it, thanks for sorting it out for me... rob@rar, It also comes with the most camp, poncy carry container I have ever seen. Laughing

You weren't exaggerating were you! I'm sure it wouldn't look out of place in the range of Barbie accessories.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
skimottaret wrote:
Spyderman, Yeah i am real happy with it, thanks for sorting it out for me... rob@rar, It also comes with the most camp, poncy carry container I have ever seen. Laughing

You weren't exaggerating were you! I'm sure it wouldn't look out of place in the range of Barbie accessories.

It's to complete your Barbie Set Toofy Grin doubles up as a make-up travel bag. wink
latest report
rob@rar, told you Laughing how does it fit? im curious how it compares to your cheapy one...
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, told you Laughing how does it fit? im curious how it compares to your cheapy one...

I tried it on very briefly last night and it's snug, but comfortable. It doesn't move around and it doesn't squash my ears; both these problems bug me with my current helmet. I'd previously tried on the POC so knew it was going to be OK.
ski holidays
rob@rar, You almost needed it last night as well. wink
snow report
skimottaret, I took mine to Les Houches last year, first couple of days I skied without it. Mid week and after a decent snow fall, I thought I might as well use it - thank god I did - I stopped at the foot of a half bad slope to look back up (as you do) and as I turned round I was hit in the head by a flying snowboard - attached to french dude who had lost it further up the slope. My wife said he'd bounced a couple of time before coming to a stop on my head! Now I feel that I'm tempting fate whenever I go without it. Confused
snow conditions
I even wore a helmet when I was at the indoor slope - there seemed to be quite a lot of obstacles and I thought that it seemed no bad thing to do so. When I go in December I will take it again. Not because I was out of control (luckily), but because I wasn't the only one on the slope and also if I had messed up with my inexperience I could have been out of control. I think that skiing ought to be considered a little along the lines of driving. My father used to say re: driving 'you have to consider that everyone else on road is an idiot'. I don't think that everyone on the mountain or indoor slope is an idiot, but I'm sure there are the odd few out there including myself when I get it wrong.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy