Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flims Laax snow report 2007-2008

Poster: A snowHead
TwoLeftSkis, Shocked Shocked Shocked well knock me down wiv a fevver, you've posted! Shocked Laughing Should be plenty left Wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nice should be there for the day on saturday Very Happy

eng_ch, how busy was / is it at the weekend?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fil, if everything's open, it's usually fine regardless of how busy it is. If the top (glacier/La Siala) is closed by wind (which happens), then it can be a bit busier but nothign to write home about. The problem on Sunday, I'm sure, was that it looked liked they closed the Curnius chair and the main cable car to Crap Sogn Gion so there were a lot of people trying to ski down who really shouldn't have.

We should still be here on Saturday but don't know exactly when we'll be heading back (prob early pm as friends have a flight to catch). If you see someone with a snowheads sticker on their helmet, that'll be me. As we have to be out of the flat by 10am (it's let for the next month), then we may (have to) take the dog up the mountain too.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very flat light and overcast all day today, snowed lightly at lunchtime as forecast, and we're predicted snow overnight which will be good as the Falera run in particular could do with freshening up. Elsewhere it's a mixed bag of alternating soft stuff and icy patches on piste, and crusty off.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry for the delayed report for the last few days: Thursday had about 15 cm of fresh snow as forecast, bit overcast in the am, pm was gloriously sunny and conditions on piste were great. Friday was more overcast and a bit crusty in patches. Saturday snowed all day, practically zero visibility in the morning, cleared up a bit at lunchtime but still overcast and much more pleasant underfoot.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just back from a glorious week in Laax - every day a blue sky day

Sun is shinin' in the sky
There ain't a cloud in sight
It's stopped rainin' ev'rybody's in a play
And don't you know
It's a beautiful new day hey,hey Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The snow was holding up well on the whole, although some of the lower slopes over at Flims were badly shot. Although blue skies, the colder temperatures helped to keep the slush at bay - and the OH loved the hard fast conditions rolling eyes Toofy Grin . Off-piste was apparently pretty hard and crusty - only saw a few hardened souls trying out the undoubtedly good off-piste terrain, and boy were the shock absorbers working overtime in their legs Toofy Grin

Night-skiing was on Friday night from the top of the bubble down to Laax - I think interesting would be the right word. Extra cost to do it, only the very bottom part of the piste was bashed specially, nothing else. And the bad boys were out in force. The OH went out - and he's no slouch. But the guys were just bombing down - anyone that was stopped at the side of the piste had snow kicked in their face. And long spaces between floodlights meant alternate pitch black/light. I reckon a recipe for a major accident.....

Favourite runs: the red 10 from La Siala down to Grauborg, red 18 from Nagens down to Flims, blue 31 from Vorab
Least favourite: the first run of the day red 66 from Crap Sogn Gion down to Plaun - again full of idiots just bombing it down

snowHead snowHead snowHead

I'll do a bit of a resort report when I've time

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 19-02-08 10:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cathy wrote:
Night-skiing was on Friday night from the top of the bubble down to Laax - I think interesting would be the right word. Extra cost to do it, only the very bottom part of the piste was bashed specially, nothing else. And the bad boys were out in force. The OH went out - and he's no slouch. But the guys were just bombing down - anyone that was stopped at the side of the piste had snow kicked in their face. And long spaces between floodlights meant alternate pitch black/light. I reckon a recipe for a major accident.....

Interesting that it's different from when we did it (twice), maybe it's down to volume of people in half term week. Our experience was that the piste was freshly groomed all the way down from Curnius. I concur that the speed-freak straight-liners tend to use this session, but when we did it it was so empty that stopping at the side was never a problem, rarely saw more than 5 other people. Personally I like the spaces between the floods, it's the spookiness that appeals to me Twisted Evil
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We did think it was a bit of a cheek only grooming the part of the piste you could see from the bottom - and hence helping to decide whether to do it or not, and then charging extra for the night skiing even though it was only 15 CHF (about £7). The fact that it's a busy time shouldn't have stopped them grooming the whole part, especially considering they don't start the night skiing until 8. But I'm sure that it was a busy period meant there were more people on there than normal. The OH likes to straight-line - on his 3rd run down he really went for it & even then couldn't keep up Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lovely spring conditions in Laax yesterday, snow getting a bit soft and heavy lower down, but still plenty of it in most places. Some lovely bumps forming (formed). Rather patchy on red 52, but it's all good practice for turning where you have to rather than where you want to
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
So what is the snow like in Flims this week? I'm there in just over a week.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SobeUK, sitting in the office this week but will be able to tell you more after the weekend. However, it's raining here at 640m and the temp at Crap Sogn Gion is -2 so I'd be surprised if it wasn't snowing there a bit at least
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm afraid we didn't ski this weekend after all. We've had big storms and very high winds and only 7 lifts were operating in Laax today (out of 2Cool and I think they were being a bit optimistic at that: the winds blew an entire hose reel across our garden so we decided discretion was the better part of valour since we've got a full week's skiing next week
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cathy, eng_ch, I've only just seen your report on the night skiing. We skied on the thursday night in Flumserberg and found the night skiers both experts and obvious beginners were all skiing very very fast and many just on the wrong side of control. I put it down to the full moon mostly Toofy Grin . It may have also been the fact that the snow during the day was slushy and that week it almost refroze at night which meant a nearly perfect piste (compared to the daytime condition) for zooming down fast, great fun though
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Eng_Ch
So I should not hold my hopes too high for Flims this week then? Sad

Hope some snow arrives and the wind drops. Mind you we can always be assured the athe weather will change.

Cheers Cool
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SobeUK, depends whether you consider "signficantly colder and frequent snowfalls" as worthy of not getting your hopes up Wink There's been 10-15cm of fresh from about 2000m up over the weekend and web site reporting 25 of 28 lifts open today
latest report
Forecasting 46cm over next few days
snow conditions
Been a while since I reported because our place has been let, but our place is now empty so here we are. The warm weather over the last couple of days and the Föhn this weekend have taken its toll somewhat on the lovely fresh that fell at the beginning of the week; there is plenty of snow, but it's variable over the altitudes (as you might expect). Above Crap Sogn Gion was pretty hard underfoot, the Falera run was very soft and getting rather sticky (if you know what I mean) and there was just a ribbon of white to pick one's way down on the last narrow drop to the chair. But between Crap Sogn Gion and Curnius the conditions were marvellous, as good as we've seen this season on piste Smile Bright sunny day to boot. Would have been even better if some dimwit girl hadn't skied straight into me and taken me out on the black (rolled a way but uninjured thankfully) Evil or Very Mad but at least she and the guy she was skiing with stopped to make sure I was OK
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy