Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flims Laax snow report 2007-2008

Poster: A snowHead
That is the correct route, but I don't know how late the trains run in the evening. If you're going to Flims/Laax, at Chur you can get a bus from the train station. Go up the escalator inside the station and the buses run from there; they are scheduled to coincide with the trains, so don't dilly dally on the platform!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
europa

www.sbb.ch/en

That's the site you need for pretty much all public transport timetabling/connection queries. If you wanted to hire a car, though, the journey is quicker and the roads are usually absolutely clear and could well be your best bet at that time of the evening. How long are you there for and where are you staying? There's a bit of a snowHead meet-up planned for 2nd Jan in Laax:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=30695
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks -

- unfortunately we're leaving on the 1st
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
europa, we'll be there from prob late pm/eve of 29th if you fancy meeting up? Drop me a PM if of interest. Where are you staying btw?

There's been no new snow this week so the off piste has got very tracked out and choppy and the pistes are harder with some patches that are thinking about getting a bit icy, but still superb conditions for the time of year, all valley runs open all the way down to Flims, Laax and Falera. Lovel but delicious fare, cheese and/or meat platters all served on slabs of wood and all food from the immediate area, in fact one of the cheeses was from the cows who graze up near the glacier in the summer. Beautiful sunny terrace with stunning views over the valley.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is it easy to get there from Friedricshafen?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bedfordblue, easy peasy from Fridrichehafen because the resort runs a shuttle bus door to door to meet the London and Dublin Ryanair flights. Link below:

http://www.laax.com/flash/index.php?l=en#/de/resort_info/resort_info_laax_a_z

I notice they've also started doing a Zurich airport shuttle too
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We had a sprinkling of snow this morning but otherwise mostly overcast. Conditions over 2000m are excellent still, lower down is getting scraped off a bit in places, with other areas displaying piles of powder. Forecast for the next few days is for bright sun Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There was another sprinkling of snow overnight and it was pretty chilly today. Lower exposed slopes have some grass patches showing through off piste (still plenty of cover on piste). The blue down to Falera is getting very icy now as it is exposed. The red from Curnius to Laax has the odd icy patch but otherwise very good. Visibility again not great today (white out in places) - forecast is for sun for the rest of the week, but then it was forecast sun for today too and it never happened. Could really do with a good dump of snow to freshen everything up, but still, conditions remain excellent for the time of year
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We were going to go up to the glacier today but it was brass monkeys at 2200m so we decided discretion was the better part of valour Embarassed Snow conditions above Curnius are lovely, below has some icy patches still. The Falera valley run was closed today. Off piste looks pretty much tracked out and in any case, the small between piste bits we've done over the last couple of days have been frozen rock hard
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Brilliant sunshine all day today and we headed high where on piste conditions are superb and the off piste looks much more promising than lower down the mountain. Most is skied out but it doesn't look as solid as lower down. Bit icy in the shade, glorious snow in the sun. Bloody cold though!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
eng_ch,

Thanks for a fun day yesterday, well organised - next time can we have about 10 degrees less cold by any chance??
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Powderhound, I'll organise the temperature if you organise the snow dance! It was a laugh, wasn't it?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Eng_ch,
Sorry, just read your post about meeting up - unfortunately I didn't read your post before going rolling eyes

Anyway, I was at Arena Lodge for Riders... nice place, but the bass from the bloody club kept me awake most nights - not good at all. It went on till 4:30am Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PS. I was a little disappointed with the lack of bars in Flims... I did ask at the hotel & they said that where we were was the 'centre of the town' ... is this true? (Arena hotel is by the main lifts in Flims Dorf - by the Igloo bar)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
eng_ch wrote:
I notice they've also started doing a Zurich airport shuttle too

Thanks for this heads-up! When I booked the hotel/flights they weren't doing this so was prepared for a train/bus excursion - it looks like they'll be able to do our transfer Very Happy
ski holidays
I'm pretty sure it runs only 3 times a week.

If you do end up doing the train/bus thing - it's pretty straight forward. We bought our tickets using a touchscreen machine in the station - really really easy. Plus you can use your credit/bank card.
snow conditions
europa, we're travelling on the Sunday, which they are doing. I have yet to find out though how long we may have to wait at the airport - they've kept quiet on that one! And I'm not booking until I know. Can I ask you how much the train & bus cost? The transfer is quite pricy, 135 CHF return - almost as much as our flight!
ski holidays
Cathy...

We arrived late in the evening and left very early morning, so we combined a taxi with the train...

Train: Zurich Airport to Chur = CHF40
Taxi: Chur to Flims = CHF90 (3 of us, so CHF30 each)

We did exactly the same on the way back, with the same cost. (The taxi was CHF10 more, probably because it was New Years Day)

If you are arriving at a decent hour, then you'll probably be able to get the bus from Chur to Flims (which, I presume, will be included in the price of your travel ticket) I don't know what this cost is, probably something like CHF10.

If you want a private car transfer (4WD VW estate type car), I can give you the details, off the top of my head, this was about £120 each. (return)
ski holidays
I know what you mean, I paid £103 return for SwissAir flights from B'ham!

Remember to allow time for you luggage to come off the plane... especially if you are taking your own boards/skis!
latest report
europa, our flights are morning arrive and leave evening, allowing plenty of time to travel by public transport if needbe, even on a Sunday. I think the transfer will have to be very convenient for times otherwise we'll go by train/bus, at those prices! Very Happy
latest report
cathy, look up the times and fares on www.rail.ch or the Swiss Transfer Ticket might be more useful http://www.swisstravelsystem.com/produkttexte.php?passid=3

Also according to the snow n rail site, if you buy a 6 day lift pass from the railway station you get the train and bus free provided you have a half fare card. And a half fare card for a month costs a bit less than the transfer ticket
snow conditions
cathy,

It's worth noting that the train journeys we made were not '1 stoppers'. On the way to Flims we had to make 3 changes, and 2 on the way back. Although the Swiss trains run like clockwork, it can be a PITA if you have a lot of luggage, especially if you have skis/boards to carry.

Although, this may have been because it was late at night.. you may simply get a direct train

Check out http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm for all the connections.

A few other tips:
If you do need to make several changes... Zurich Airport is called: Zurich Fughafen. From here we had to get a 13min train to Zurich HB (Main station), then on to Chur.

If you buy your tickets at the train station, and have to use the touch screen ticket machines: It is straight forward (and in English), there was one section that asks if you want 1/1 or 1/2 type tickets - this means: 1/1 = valid on one day only or 1/2 = valid over 2 days. You can select a return ticket, but we simply bought a one way going and a one way on return! (A return may be cheaper - but I don't know).

Hope this helps!
snow conditions
europa, The 1/1 or 1/2 refers to whether you have a half fare card or not. Doing a quick timetable and fare lookup Zurich airport -> Laax Murschetg is 54.80 one way and exactly double that return. The only reason to buy a return is for the convenience. Note that short returns are only valid the same day and long returns are valid for 10 days. See http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reisemarkt/billette/gewoehnliches-billett.htm
snow report
Also note that at the main station you don't have to walk all the way to the platform end at the front of the train to change platforms. There are underpasses further up with information screens as well.
snow report
Many thanks for all your help nessy & europa! snowHead

Looks like it's not all that much cheaper to go by train/bus - approx 110 return. And we have a package with the hotel for half-board & lift pass. I'll just have to see how convenient the time of the transfer may be Very Happy
ski holidays
cathy, the convenience of just getting in a minibus and being wafted door to door may outweigh the 20 CHF extra cost? Just a thought.... will be interested to hear how you get on with the shuttle (or enquiries for it)

Didn't make it out yesterday - that Powderhound is just too quick! - but out today, mixed conditions; some really nice snow interspersed with scraped off ice. Overcast with flat light. There's meant to be some fresh snow higher up from tomorrow late pm/eve so we'll keep our fingers crossed. Could really do with some to freshen things up, but still, compared with last year there's nothing whatsoever to complain about
snow report
Well that was a laugh - we tried out the night skiing last night, which was weird but tremendous fun. Visibiility under the intermittent floodlights was far better than I expected (my pink goggle lenses handled it fine) as the contrast of the contours was much more distinct. The shadows cast from bubbles passing overhead were spooky though, in a good way. No night skiing through Jan, but restarts on 8 Feb on every Friday through to 14 Mar.
ski holidays
Sorry to divert from snow reporting for a min but thought I'd update on the shuttle situation from Zurich on a Sunday for anyone else that was interested. And ask for suggestions

On arrival, we'll probably use the transfer shuttle as we are scheduled to arrive at Zurich at about 10.30 am. The shuttle leaves at 1 so by the time we've got baggage etc, had a coffee/bite to eat, we'll be good to go.

However, the shuttle leaves Laax at 8 or 9 in the morning coming back, I guess to arrive Zurich a few hours later. However, our flight's about 7 pm. Does anyone know if there is a left luggage facility at Zurich airport? Although I guess with security issues airports aren't too keen on left luggage! Certainly couldn't find anything on their website. Can we dump our bags & go into Zurich for the afternoon? And is that worth doing on a Sunday afternoon?? Toofy Grin Alternatively, we can get the normal bus from Laax at 1, change at Chur and the train gets in 3.45, after changing in Zurich, which would be fine. Though with luggage & a change of train a bit of a pain.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy, why not just check in early? Then by definition your luggage is looked after Wink There won't be any shops open in zurich but it's worth a wander round - can give you some ideas later
snow report
6 inches of fresh snow overnight, snowing all day today with very flat light Confused Just the freshening up that was needed with some nice piste-side powder and excellent on-piste conditions. Visibility above 1600m was practically non-existent however so we stayed low today.

That's it from us for a week or so - RL grindstone calls tomorrow Sad
ski holidays
nessy wrote:
europa, The 1/1 or 1/2 refers to whether you have a half fare card or not. Doing a quick timetable and fare lookup Zurich airport -> Laax Murschetg is 54.80 one way and exactly double that return. The only reason to buy a return is for the convenience. Note that short returns are only valid the same day and long returns are valid for 10 days. See http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reisemarkt/billette/gewoehnliches-billett.htm

opps.. sorry about the mis-information Embarassed
snow conditions
cathy, would you not just leave later in the day by the regular bus/train option - give yourself a half day skiing on the sunday rather than go into Zurich .... however if you do go into the city, there is a very good left luggage service and the station is at the end of the main shopping street (albeit it with limited shops open on a sunday) and you can do a nice walk around the small centre of ZUrich and catch some good bars and food

eng_ch, myself and missus just back from a week in Flims - really liked the area and the relative lack of heavy duty tourism (i.e. no excesses of english, dutch etc. tourists). Loved the reds back to Laax and Flims and a big fan of the red at the top of the resort (2Cool which had great snow and relatively few skiiers on it for what would have been peak season in all the big resorts in France and Austria.

Keep us updated with the snow levels there and whats going on - I'd say there must be a good buzz when the Burton European Snowboarding Open kicks off next week
snow report
doogo, sorry just seen your post. Glad you liked it; the higher you go the less crowded it tends to be. NY was pretty busy but it was always easy to get away from the crowds. We were up on 28 the day of the mini-meet and it was absolute brass monkeys so we just bombed down to Vorab as quickly as we could Wink

Nice and quiet here today, all the snowboarders in the Burton European Open were packing up their bags and heading off this morning (Jenny Jones came second in the end btw) and the Dutch snowboarding champs start tomorrow so today was eye of the storm

Not as bright and sunny today as the forecast suggested, but distance visibility was good. Light was a bit flat this morning but improved steadily. It snowed on Wednesday and again last night but has been warm today, resulting in several inches of soft sugary stuff on top of a hard base on piste. Just off the pistes was too claggy to be fun (and had me flat on my face at one point and Rutschen on his backside lol).
snow report
The forecast sun arrived yesterday and it was very warm in Murschetg and Falera; pistes are holding up well all things considered, the snow is thinking about getting a bit soft at the bottom in the sun, icy in the shade. Conditions generally very nice though. More snow forecast for tomorrow and again on Friday
snow report
Grrr a foot of fresh snow in Laax yesterday and brilliant sunshine this morning and I'm sitting here an hour away working Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Nice and sunny today but clouded over a bit by about 3pm, would be nice if that pressaged snow. However there was new snow mid-week and the pistes were in lovely condition. Rather busy today, at least 10 coach loads in resort today and the top was closed due to wind, and it looked like even Crap Sogn Gion was closed off for the same reason by about 2.30 so the red 60 back into Laax was very busy with a load of people skiing down who really shouldn't have been on it - but conditions left some nice bumps on the right which the hordes avoided (so we didn't Smile ). Also played just off the piste on the Falera run, getting a bit crusty but better than it was last week by far.

Managed some pics today, this is the view out from Falera at lunch coffee:

Took a hard-ish tumble so knocked off by about 3 and went for a stomp with the dog instead, and if this works, this is a video of him - this is taken at Larnags at about 1150 m. Not entirely ski-related but shows that conditions are great all the way down Wink

snow conditions
It's been a lovely warm day today in the sun, but a bit nippy in the shade, and snow conditions reflected this - basically nice in the sun, but a bit icy in the shade. Didn't do a lot today but did come down the black to Laax for a change; lovely at the top, but a bit icy lower down (f'ckin icy says Rutschen); nowhere near PSB ice, but quite a few patches of bare ice interspersed with very hardpack.

So this was the top of the black to Laax (Piste 65):

And we stopped for a drink at the Hütte 1/3 way down:

Because it was just this sort of a day:

Smile
ski holidays
 brian
brian
eng_ch, I'm not even slightly Going green .... no not even a little bit, it's lovely sat here at my desk rolling eyes
snow conditions
brian, now you know how I felt on Wednesday, knowing it was just an hour down the road but my deadline was looming - I simply regard this as just rewards Laughing

BTW I meant to add that yesterday's hordes were clearly weekend bus-loads as it was beautifully quiet today Very Happy
ski holidays
eng_ch, Don't go using up all the powder before I get there...looks awesome, can't wait Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy