Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Xmas in Flaine... anyone done it before

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey hey,

am new to the forum but loving it so far.. now the million dollar question.. has anyone done a xmas at Flain b4, I am boarder and just worried that the snow may be to icy and slushy.. has anyone been there before, I have seen that they are looking at getting some snow this week but will it continue??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looking forward to seeing the responses this topic receives. Im heading out with a group of 10 from Dec 22 to dec 29. Cant wait for it, counting the days and looking endlessly at the web cams now.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

but will it continue

ukbundy, nobody knows, and if they say they do, they're lying. However, welcome to Snowheads, where you will undoubtedly find lots and lots of entertaining, and sometimes soundly based, speculation as to what the snow gods will be sending this winter. Flaine has some quite high skiing, and the village itself is quite a bit higher than many resorts. Christmas is a bit early, and I've never been in Flaine for Christmas, but from knowledge of places around, and our own resort which is not too far away, I'd say you have a good chance of enough snow to have fun on. It's cold at the moment, which is very good news. Snow this week probably won't stick around, but if it continues to be cold the snow which should be falling in December will have a better chance of doing so. You will probably find that the lower parts of the area (eg down towards Samoens) won't be open, but that still leaves plenty of scope. Try not to give yourself any stress-related disorders in the meantime...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ukbundy, if you have already booked, well done.

"icy and slushy"? Slushy hopefully less likely (as hopefully the weather will be too cold) and as PamW suggests, if this colder weather holds out that will give the various resorts opportunity to make snow. (I thought slushy was good on a board?)

Icy, well it's certainly possible but at least Xmas is less likely to have been preceded by a very busy week. So if it isn't snowing/being made, it's not going to have been as scraped off - as for example it could be after Xmas or NY weeks.

If you haven't booked, be aware that if it does snow, I would expect accommodation availability to plummet. We've been full for New Year (amazingly this year it's only one week after Christmas) for about 2 months now and are still seeing anguished requests for any available accommodation. If you know where and when you want to go, you need to make the commitment or you won't be where you want to be, when you want to be.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Murdoch wrote:
...New Year (amazingly this year it's only one week after Christmas)

Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

We've been full for New Year (amazingly this year it's only one week after Christmas)

wtf Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ukbundy, welcome to snowHead 's

I have skied Christmas at Flaine about 4-5 years back and had a reasonable week. The runs above and to the right of the resort (don't have a map handy but I hope you know what I mean) were fine but the runs to the left got pretty bare and rocky on the final few hundred metres.

If staying in a hotel I presume you know that "Christmas Dinner" is likely to be Christmas Eve evening meal, not much of a fuss made on the day itself.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PhillipStanton, Mattmulkeen, I can think of a few reasons for it (folks staying with family for Xmas for example) but we have heard a few comments recently about Xmas being to early for snow whereas New Year wasn't.

"Oh, no, love, you can't go at Xmas, there'll be no snow. You'll be much better off at New Year. Fancy a cuppa?"

err, what? One week can make a difference but it's entirely unforecastable at this stage.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Flaine is as good a bet as most places in France at Xmas. OK, it doesn't have glacier accessed skiing, but it does have a very good snow record. I was there in mid December a couple of years back and got dumped on - in the nicest possible way Cool . Had to put the chains on at the bottom of the hill. Went back the week after NY and it was awesome. But then last year probably wasn't so good. Almost worth going just for the view of Mont Blanc!

Watch out for those girt big holes just off the piste in the Flaine bowl. Definitely an area where 'just of the piste' can be fatal if you don't know it.

Enjoy. It's got some great skiing and boarding. I'll be there for NY, though only for the weekend.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just started snowing here in Morzine town at 08.00. So Yeppeeee.
Should be the start in Flaine too. Welcome to snowHead Have a great Christmas.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ukbundy, We have been at Xmas many times, unfortunately last year the conditions were the worst we have ever had. Having said that they kept what snow there was in good condition, but only about 6 runs open Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad But that was last year, we have had marvellous snow on many previous occassions.
The resort doesn't officially open until the 15th and even then normally only a few runs would be opened due to demand. From the 22nd even if there is good snow I would not expect all the runs in the resort to be open Mad . ( I think they save some for new year ) As previously mentioned there are some VERY big holes to fill so be very aware if you're off piste. Snow permitting the Grand Vans chair, links to Carroz,Samoens etc normally opens on that Sunday.

If you haven't already seen it. http://www.flaine.com/en/index.php
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Les carroz opens on 22nd. As has been mentioned last year was a bit p tex ripping. Flaine was ok down to about 1800m, then it got really rocky. Les carrox only had 3 real runs open, all cannoned snow. You had to buy daily tickets, queuing for the ticket office was a bit of a pain.
Year before they had the best snow in France, it was brilliant.......... Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Was in Les Carroz last Xmas, as carroz mentioned above, the only bits of the Grand Massif which were open were Flaine and Les Carroz, and in Les Carroz it was only really 3 long runs and 1 or 2 short ones, also was very busy and got a bit rocky towards the end of the week.

I didnt go to Flaine but my BIL did for 1 day and most at the top was OK. Flaine is a bit unique in its geology and has a lot of granite (I think) holes which need some decent snow to fill up before they can open all the runs. They didnt have this although if you wanted you could pick your way over to some runs which were officially closed. Our post from last year is here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=505714

I remember the traffic to Flaine being pretty bad as all the other resorts (Samoens, etc) were fully closed so everyone was coming to LC or Flaine and the single road to Flaine was chocka at 9am and 4pm.

Hopefully this year will be better, even so we had a great time regardless of the snow conditions so I am sure you will too.

Cheers,
Peter
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ukbundy, yes, last Christmas was generally dire, and the fact that Flaine had some skiing open and was hence crowded with people from other places, is evidence that you've made a good choice. Hopefully this year will be much better. It looks good at the moment - cold, and I've just looked at the Les Saisies webcam, they've snow down to village level at 1600m, which is all very good news. It'll mostly be gone soon, it's only a dusting, but it's fun to look at. And if temperatures stay low, then quite apart from being able to use snowcannons, it will mean that the early big snow falls which we are definitely going to get in December (maybe....) will lie on cold ground. Last year it was so warm that even big dumps were gone in a trice.

There are certainly some big holes in Flaine, I don't know it well at all, but remember going up the main big gondola to the top of the Flaine bowl and watching some not very good snowboarders who had decided on a bit of off piste and were getting themselves into all sorts of problems, scratching their heads about how to climb out and back up to the piste. At Christmas, I suppose, except in exceptional years, the off piste just about everywhere is pretty rocky and dodgy. Christmas hols are best thought of as lovely relaxing times in the mountain, with plenty of good cheer and hopefully some skiing thrown in.....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy