Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Spanish School Holidays

Poster: A snowHead
With the Pyrennes resorts in mind (Baqueira Beret) does anyone know when the Spanish and French school hoildays are? Planning a trip from Feb 27 and March 7. Hopefully this won't clash.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry Mike, both weeks are advertised as 'Alta' or high season on the BB site. Feb 20 is 'Media' while Mar 13th is 'Baja'.....the one to aim for.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spanish Hols: Feb 12th to 27th
French Hols: Just French Zone C (Paris, Versailles, Créteil, Bordeaux) is still on holiday then, the second week of the two week break.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't mind it being high season in terms of cost but wouldn't wish it to be too busy. If the Spanish aren't on hols for that week then it doesn't sound too bad as the French (kids) shouldn't make too much difference Perhaps I'll go for 6-13 March but don't want to leave it too late for good snow!! A conundrum that still needs to be sorted...and soon as I need to book a cheap flight with Flybe!!!! Thanks for the help so far. Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mikehall58, I was in Baqueira Beret over Christmas and New Year. If you get up the mountain early enough (the lifts didn't start until 9.30), and get over to to Beret or Bonaigua, there was no one there.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
March 6-13 should be fine for snow.....they have top to bottom snowmaking so they will have built up a base over the season should they not have enough of the natural stuff....and last season they had over 4 metres of natural which caused total chaos in the valley, power outages, water cuts, etc. Enjoy!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers folks...still undecided about which week but the later one is cheaper accommodation wise....if the blooming hotels reply to my emails! Do-it-yourself isn't always hassle-free! snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mikehall58, had the same problem. They tend to reply quicker via fax after a phone call.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've sent them a fax too!!!! Came back saying no answer! Baqueira web site does have a booking facility so will have to try that. Where did you stay Steve? I'm looking at the Val de Ruda. And did you enjoy it? the ski area sounds challenging enough for a good intermediate like me and I'm looking forward to a change of typical scenery. I like to try less well-known resorts!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We looked at staying in the Val de Ruda, but ended up further up the mountain as we couldn't get the days we wanted because of work etc. It seems to be a good hotel, situated a couple of minutes walk from the bottom of the main six man chairlift. As this is the main lift for the mountain, you may get some queues, but they do move very quickly. (The hotel we stayed in had access to anoother smaller chair lift further up, so didn't have that problem). You also have the Tuc Blanc opposite the main lifts.

As the Val de Ruda is more central, everything is on your doorstep. There are some fantastic restuarants aound the area as well. I'll see if i can dig out a couple of recommendations for you when i get back from work. To fully get the best out of the gastronomy of the area, you would need a car, as some of the best places are further down the valley.

The skiing was good. There were eight of us actually skiing. Mostly intermediate with one or two better skiers. We had only one non skiing day beacause the mountain was closed due to too much snow and bad visablilty. The main slopes get very cut up etc due to the ski school etc, but get over to Beret and if there has been good snow, you'll find powder, some goods black runs and a some good reds. Just be careful you don't miss the last chair back across the mountain otherwise you will get stuck in Beret, which to be honest is just a large car park!

Finally if you do end up booking through the tourist office you can often get deals with your ski passes etc.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steve...got a reply at last from Tourist Office. Looking at Val de Ruda (or even the slightly posher Bassibe) from 6 March - 13 to make sure kids are gone and to get some sunshine without getting too close to the end of the season. Bonaigua looks to have some good slopes too now and did you ski the off-piste run called Where Goats Roam or soemthiing????

Flying to Toulouse and will have own car so free to move to different pistes and restaurants. Where are you off to this time? snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bassibe did look very nice, but it is quite a way up the hill, about a mile if I remember. You would be closer to the smaller chairlift though. I looked through the info I have here, but can only find one of the restaurant cards from when we went. It's called Asador de Aran and can be found in Plaza Planhera in the town of Arties. Tel No 973 644 554. It's quite a small place that's run by a young family. The food and service was excellent. You may have to book it though.

As for the Where the Goats Roam piste. I don't remember going down it. Still undecided about where to go this year. Christmas and New Year here and probably get a late booking somewhere early part of the year. then off to Whistler in March.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Steve. I'm usually quite organised so I'll check out eateries in advance as we're going B&B in order to sample local fayre in a number of places. Enjoy Whistler. I'm also hoping for a long weekend in mid-late Jan depending on where the good snow and cheap fligts are but Chamonix looks fave! Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SteveG, How is the new(to me) area at Beret serviced by the Blanhibar lift?
Whistler in March?.....lucky you! Do a few turns in Spanky's for me and report on the now more accessible off piste under The Flute please.
mikehall58, The Bassibe probably has a morning shuttle to the lift...a lot of people who go to BB refuse to walk rolling eyes ! With a car you can choose from so many restaurants in the valley from Baqueira all the way down to Viella, which also has a skate rink and 25m indoor pool (Casa Irene in Arties used to be The place to eat). The Escornacrabes(Where goats whatever)'itinerary' depends on the amount of snow and number of punters who've churned up the powder before you....it is prone to slides and is therefore often closed.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Mac. I assume 6 March is generally okay for snow. I've been quite impressed by the snow record of the resort in general and love slopes that aren't too busy! Found just that in Monterosa, skiing out of Champoluc....that area will take off soon, mark my words and the off-piste towrads Alagna is lift-served now. Lovely place, 1 and a quarter hours from Turin, quiet and unspoilt (at the moment). snowHead
ski holidays
Mac46, must admit, it was the only part i didn't get to explore. It did seem to be fairly quiet when you looked at it from the other side of the valley though. Not sure as if this is because it seemed to lose its snow coverage quicker or because it only seemed to have two main runs to it.

They seem to have been pretty busy over the summer months putting in some new runs over in Bonaigua and some new beginner slopes. They have also improved their snow making abilities, and thrown in some new chirlifts for good measure. This has also added three new blue runs to the Baqueira ski area.
ski holidays
SteveG, It just keeps growing and growing! First time I skied there,'79, it was just Baqueira. Then the Spanish royal family arrived and brought half of Madrid with them....start of the chalet building boom and the expansion into Beret. We stayed in Viella as the village in Baqueira had just been built and didn't offer much entertainment. On very busy days we skied at the Tuca, a small area on the outskirts of Viella....now sadly closed.
mikehall58, Thanks for the info on Monterosa....ssshhhh! Look at what has happened to BB! I'm sure you'll have a great time......3/6 should still be good for snow....I'm hoping to be in BB or Whistler from 3/15...hoping, hoping, hoping!
snow report
Mac46, the royal family were over when we were there. Apart from the few gun holding army, you wouldn't know anything was going on. He skis all the time with six army personnel whi were staying in our hotel. But generally blends in very well. Joins the queue with everybody else etc. They generally didn't want any 'special' attention.
snow conditions
SteveG, Good to hear that Steve. At the height of the ETA campaign the road from Viella to BB was lined with armed guards whenever he was in town. He got so fed up with all the security that he took himself off to Switzerland.
I used to ski in Iran and on days when there were men in suits with briefcases at every lift station we knew the Shah was on the piste. His bodyguards skied in formation with him....as a beginner I remember being very impressed by their skills. The S. didn't have to join the queues however!
latest report
Mac46, hey I've skied Dizin too but in 94-97. The resort hadn't changed much. The Kommittee were 'policing' the slopes to ensure boys and girls didn't do anything un-Islamic.
Nice anecdote about the Shah. He was dancing with Bette Backall and complimented her - - "You dance divinely, Miss Backall"
The reply

" You bet your ass, Shah !! "
ski holidays
kuwait_ian, After the revolution they first tried a curtain down the main slopes, ladies to the left, gentlemen to the right.....then they started fighting over lift access! Next they tried ladies on odd days and gentlemen on even. Am relieved they got back to some degree of normality. Iranian students here make it now sound almost pre-revolution with North Tehran back in party mode??????
I learned to ski in Tabriz and only started going to Tehran at the end of my first season(8hrs there on Fri night, 10 back on Sun night!!)....I remember shoulder-high moguls in Shemshak....or was that just a beginner's perspective?!
snow conditions
Mac46, at the risk of boring others, and we've drifted a long way from Spanish school hols, I'll respond. Here's some photos of Dizin from above on an earlier thread. And Shemshak is still a scarey mogully place not for the fainthearted. Check the links in the other thread. I've visited Tabriz but not skiied there. How was it ?
ski holidays
News just in from Viella......snow! problems for cars and pedestrians(always some moaners!) but BB are looking to keeping their opening date for Nov 27th! Yeah!!
latest report
Mac46, check out the Baqueira website. they have six or seven webcams all over the mountian. It has snowed alot over night. Those cameras not working at the moment will be up around opening I believe.

http://www.baqueira.es/index.php
ski holidays
SteveG, "Precipitación caída hasta el momento entre 50 y 100 cms."
Wow! looking very good for next weekend's opening....Pla de Beret cam looks especially good. snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy