Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow+Rock buys cycle stores...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
plectrum wrote:
Saying all this I am not the aimed customer of S&R and I guess they may be very good for the novice skier wanting to buy their first pair of ski's unfortunatley I do not feel they offer much once you have past that stage.

I think you're right there and all power to them in serving that market reasonably well.
Quote:
Also how can anyone here argue with the 'Try before you buy' system often offered in resort by its shops.

Is it not the case that the S+R/EB stores at dry slopes and domes offer such a service, IIRC they do with skis.
letitsnow wrote:
They do. With S&R also owning the body factor there internal trainers are trained intensely and apparently the podiatrist of BODY FACTOR regularly visit all stores, particularly in the south. If in the CG branch or Chertsey you can seek free advice on the spot from the (imo) very skilled team of podiatrists from the Body factor.

I never knew that, how long has that been going on, and when you say the south do you mean the South East or would Bristol be included? If it is I'm amazed at what happened to me, surely they can't have been included in this training just over a year ago?

Anyway, given your incredibly in-depth knowledge of what goes on at S+R perhaps you'll know if the stores linked to domes/slopes offer boots as well as skis to try out or is just the skis?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
roga,

again it is not something I have done but I would not like to test ski's to purchase on dry slopes. Again call me a snow snob but I hope never to ski on dry slopes as I am sure it would be a major disappointment
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
plectrum wrote:
roga,

again it is not something I have done but I would not like to test ski's to purchase on dry slopes.

There are shops at the various snowdomes too though IIRC Smile
Quote:
Again call me a snow snob but I hope never to ski on dry slopes as I am sure it would be a major disappointment

You can't tell until you try IMHO but it's certainly different - obviously I'd far rather have snow but technically dry is a great surface to practice and develop on, IMHO it's more difficult to ski than snow in many ways.

For testing skis though it's not great (I've done it), boots perhaps better.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
roga, The whole concept of dry slopes leaves me cold unfortunately. I've always considered them reasonable dangerous again.

Are there any dry slopes in France, Switz, Austria or Italy?

Anyhow I'd just like to point something out at this point ..... it's dumping in Europe and it is early November yippee yippee yeah!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I never knew that, how long has that been going on, and when you say the south do you mean the South East or would Bristol be included? If it is I'm amazed at what happened to me, surely they can't have been included in this training just over a year ago?

Anyway, given your incredibly in-depth knowledge of what goes on at S+R perhaps you'll know if the stores linked to domes/slopes offer boots as well as skis to try out or is just the skis?

South east only. Apparently for any probs at all regarding alignment or footbed probs you can call a bodyfactor free advice line-If it helps. Anythings a plus, i guess.

Skis only i think. Although if you purchase boots from the Hemel or sheffield stores you can try them free of charge for a couple of hours on the dryslope. The theory is, any probs the store is on sight to rectify any probs that occur prior to leaving on your trip!

Any major probs after trying, i'm confident they would be flexible enough to change the boots for an alternative!! Atleast you can experience "sliding" in your new acquisition and get feedback. This clearly would not take into consideration what happens to the individuals feet at altitude.

I think think the answer is, don't commit yourself to a boot unless you are 100% sure it's the right fit.

As you stated before, good boot fitters should be getting this right with the correct options anyway!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Are there any dry slopes in France, Switz, Austria or Italy?

Near Calsi there is a very impressive looking dryslope with a large fun park.

I'm sure the closer you get to the alps, the fewer there are- Natures own playground is always going to be best but when you live so far away and are passionate about the sport you have to seek alternatives!!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Near Calsi there is a very impressive looking dryslope

That should read calais(sunday morning and all that!)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy