Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's the best technique for boarding down mogul fields?

Poster: A snowHead
Yes, I know the best technique is just to avoid them, but I've been boarding for a fair few years now and find myself irresistably drawn to them. With mixed, and often painful, results! Where on the bump should you attack it etc.?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
larry duff, Done it once when tired and a bit squiffy . . . never managed it with any grace again Confused They say it's 'soft knees and look well ahead I just stare at the next one I'm going to plant my ass on Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
larry duff, I ride on my heel in a mixture of regular and switch in the troughs/low bits when the moguls are huge and mix it up a bit heel/toe edge when they are a bit smaller. I always try to cut a heel edge in the down slope side of the mogul riding regular and switch (falling leaf in effect I suppose) when icy - if you understand that you are a genious Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
larry duff, they can be fun but if icy definately best avoided. I might not have the best technique but I like to try going round them rather than over and try to throw the board round the turn quickly to stay in the troughs rather than carving it cleanly. This is pretty aggressive and can be fairly tiring though but when in the right mood it's a laugh.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
recent exploits down the Swiss Wall PDS

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Swirly, once upon a time i was taught to ride moguls in Canada, and you are doing the right thing. use the mogals to turn around.
Doesn't mean i can do it like that! rolling eyes can sometimes others not, and on other occasions, like powder days, i like to jump off them! Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rayscoops, did you do it?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowangel., yeah I think you have to be in the right frame of mind some aggressive music helps. I still fluff them quite often, sometimes traversing a fair way before turning. If the timing goes you can end up going over them and in all sorts of bother. Jumping off them's fun but in a big field it's hard to find a landing or get enough speed onto the bump to get much air.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swirly, twice Laughing and it was icy. I have nearly always been boarding with skiers so my riding is a bit biased to that sort of thing rather than the park or jumps. I found the Tortins itinery which is a huge mogul field most of the time in Verbier more challenging Laughing

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rayscoops, I'm pretty similar although I passed on it last year in search of powder, the right decision at the time although it probably won't get away this season.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Swirly, you are out in March to Morzine I think? if you do go down the Wall just head left, left and more left because it opens out in to a great bowl type area, and if the snow is soft it will be a good ride. Unfortunately for me it was frozen crud and bit of a bone shaker Laughing The area in Switzerland beyond the wall has a snow park and natural pipe type ride and some great off piste

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
agressively
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Point and shoot. As fast as you can.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My son, quite a good boarder but still defeated by moguls, says he saw an instructor in Val D'Isere doing huge moguls, by "embracing" them with alternate arms as he turned. Sounded, as he described it, rather like those country dances where you swing alternate partners.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you want to see the best riders you have to look in the moguls yo.
I'm not an instructor so I don't know how to actually verbalize what needs to be done and I don't have all day but I'll give you a few tips I've figured out in my journey.
If you are used to doing big sweeping turns gently carving them out on an edge...not gonna cut it in the bumps.
First thing is you need to conquor is groomed steeps. Not by doing them high speed but low speed. First skill needed is the ability to do not a carve but a jump with a scuff kinda turn, using the tail of the board and its edge to pop you around to the next turn but also absorbing some of the energy of your motion going down the hill.
Moguls...I grew up 6 miles from a ski resort in vermont so I don't remember my first time seeing them. They are always changing and always different. Steeper slope, bigger bumps. Longer time between grooms...bigger. Bigger is most likely only for someone with skills.
If you look closely at moguls, they are arranged like the bricks of a wall. Each brick being a mogul. Your path is right in front of you if you look at where the morter is. If you look at the morter in the horizontal...its your easy way out...a traverse. Follow the morter down vertical...that's a fall-line mogul run like it should be done. This is where the jump/scuff some speed turns happen. Toeside turn off the heelside bump. Unweight between the horizontal bricks then heelside off the toeside bump. Rinse and repeat. Thats all I got, my thumbs are blackburied.
snow report
Thanks to everyone so far for all the helpful comments! A combination of bits from each seems worth a try!!!
3snowboards: Totally agree. I don't see any other boarders in moguls when I'm out. I try to unweight using the edges of the bumps but find it gives me too much speed, then end up pulling horizontal to lose speed. That then makes it harder to get back onto the fall line for the next bump. I suppose I just have to practice more at speed Shocked ! Thanks again!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy