Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Most Embarrasing moment(s) on your board

Poster: A snowHead
Swirly wrote:
Dobz, both feet in, weight forwards but don't tense against the lift, board flat and avoid ski ruts.

This is sage advice, and a sound way of getting up the blighters. It's the only way I've ever managed it.

However, I once saw someone successfully negotiate a drag doing pretty much the complete opposite -- still with both feet in, but putting the board across the slope and tilting it so that the base of the board faced up the slope, using the downhill edge as a brake... and then, as the drag first s l o w s and then aggressively re-asserts its authority, jumping - pulling a 180 - slapping the board back down and engaging the other edge.... repeat as required.

It looked not only effective but also supremely confident. I suspect it would also be an efficacious way of dislodging less competent lift-riders as the drag lurches and bucks unpredictably.

Was this person a genius, a fool, or just an evil sonofaladydog? (and, does the fact I've even asked this question mean we're turning this thread into something from BZK? Shocked )
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DebbiDoesSnow, you can do some cool tricks once both feet are strapped in, turn the board through 90 degrees and dig an edge in wait till the lift reaches maximum stretch and jump: instant 720. I can't do this.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Swirly, just realised, where you've said "720", that must mean the guy I was talking about above wasn't doing 180s. That would be impossible unless he was then riding up the drag backwards, which of course he wasn't.... perhaps a better description would have been "ollie to switch -- ollie back to regular -- ollie to switch"

720?? really?? blimey. sounds very wakeboardery, with suitable swapping of hands behind the back mid-leap...?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snojito, the guy that showed me had been riding for about 15 years most of which were whole season affairs I suppose it's not a 720 as the board starts off 90 so it would actually be an 810! He reckoned it was easy but I'd beg to differ. Maybe something to try this year. I don't think yiou have to pass the lift behind you more once airbourne keep hold loosely so your hand spins round it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds way too difficult and doomed for humilation
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DebbiDoesSnow, thought you were into your tricks?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DebbiDoesSnow, like that's going to stop us. What are we -- skiers??? snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I never said I wouldn't try Embarassed I like tricks, I am just not good at them Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A word of warning: most lift attendants will shït a brick if you try applying an edge while on a draglift, so possibly this is one to try on a long lift with a lip so you're out of sight of ski patrol (see, if they were snowboard patrol they'd be fine with this!)

Slightly less mentalist but still cool (and still moves lift attendants to anger) is what Jules (my #1 boarding partner in crime) does... avoid the queue altogether, sit on the side of the drag 'piste' 10m or so above the start, wait for someone to part company with their poma and leap in and take over where they left off. Bulgarians tried to take his lift pass away for doing this though, so do this at your own risk (Jules' solution: say "No!" and disappear down the adjoining black run, to my initial amusement swiftly followed by chagrin as I realised I'd have to follow him).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have tried to get back on after a slight disagreement with my poma but as i am a midget I can never reach the ones dangling above me Crying or Very sad
But have been known to jump off one at the mere sight of some untouched powder snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
I like tricks, I am just not good at them Laughing

Debbi, maybe you're just trying the wrong tricks? I had the same problem, and so I've developed a full repetoire that I hardly ever see being replicated by the pros, and you're welcome to try some of those -- backflip-to-long-skid, for example, or cartwheel-to-big-air-to-late-faceplant... or of course my signature move, the slow-down-to-toe-edge-to-punching-the-snow-and-shouting-"m*****f*****!"

Perhaps I can show you them sometime. They are quite, quite rare.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snojito, They sound just up my street ! My signature move is the Custard Tart - faceplant into the top of a kicker, roller, park jump (basically any raised snow), best done in front of a crowd for maximum humilation.

i have video of one of mine Embarassed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Debbie, can you post that please in Mediazone so that we all know not what to do
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, absolutely not !
It was the day after my birthday, I had a hangover & it was the first time i attempted a small roller (it seemed huge at the time ) and it is a really pathetic attempt! Amused my brother though who was recording it Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There always seems to be someone around to catch those moments, hey? Miss S has got videos of a lot of mine. Bless her, she's so proud -- she never misses an opportunity to show off my prowess to anyone and everyone who'll watch.

It's so lovely to see her sitting there, tears of helpless pride rolling down her face, as the other viewers clutch their sides and convulse with awestruck envy.
snow report
Youchoob link, Snojito, so we can all bask in the glory? wink

I'll be posting pics/video from my Val Thorens trip hopefully while still out there (12th-19th Jan) so share and share alike!
snow conditions
i will post something once i dont look like such a learner LOL
snow report
Shallimus, no danger!! The risk to the cleanliness of the nation's underpants would be too great a burden to assume.

I'm with Debbi in the "wait-til-I've-done-something-that-doesn't-leave-me-utterly-mortified" camp... wink

Our VT trips overlap on the 12th though, so you never know, if you see someone busting one of the aforementioned displays of skill and grace it might be worth shouting "Oi!!! I KNOW YOU!!!" down the slope at them....
ski holidays
I'm going to the same resort as Swirly, so we need to come to some financial or beverage agreement so that if anything remotely embarrasing gets caught on vid, it doesnt end up on here !!
ski holidays
DebbiDoesSnow, I'm open to offers. Depends which way the embarrasment goes though I guess.
latest report
http://www.dumpalink.com/videos/Snowboarder_takes_out_model-lid1.html
latest report
DB, don't fancy his chances with the burly minder that came over. Stupid place to stand though.
ski holidays
just spent the day at st anton, dropped off the top of valluga, following a hairy traverse. headed for stuben and the best unmarked run ive ever been on, very fast, deep snow, couple of big drops, made it down to langen, caught the bus to stuben, lift to the top and drop under the chair to take a big chute between a gap in the cliff. feeling pretty good about myself we headed back to st anton, and i fell going on the poma and broke my wrist! what a dude.... i can handle taking a big knock falling off something, but gettin on a poma??? my friends are still laughing.
latest report
Numerous daft things although nothing to match the others.

Catching an edge on a flat section at Lake Louise, somersaulting 360degrees and landing back on the board..

Trying to look cool boarding past a group of folk on a lesson at St Anton and landing in massive heap in front of them.

Out accellerating a poma on sunnyside (glenshee). Icy snow & a newly waxed board = trouble,

However drag lifts = 1 foot in all the way. Just relax and concentrate for rocks on the track!
snow report
Most embarrasing...? Has to be paying to hire Flows and having to use them for a whole week!!

NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh

joe
latest report
joe1978, ouch !!!
snow conditions
joe1978, Laughing Laughing Laughing
mine would have to be in Alpe d'Huez, trying to fly through some powder with friends. Got a bit tired (2nd run of the day), nose dug in and I ended up doing some kind of inverted 720! Landed on my bonce.....glad it was powder Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Richie,i thought it was going ass over tit off piste & blaming a tree stump for your boarding un -prowess for the rest os the week!!! wink
Or human bowling with Frank.............
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Forgot about a painful backcountry experience at Cairngorm las year.
Took advantage of some great early powder and hiked up the gorm. Coming down the light got a wee bit flat obscuring some of the person height snowdrifts.
Needless to say I hit one full on at speed which I managed to control only to hit another one and landed on my ass much to the amusement of some touring dual plankers on their way up.
ski holidays
Last week, Tignes, large kicker built under a chair lift, boarded down to take everyones papp shots, then walked up to take my turn. My only chance to get a photo op so it had to be good and people were watching as they came up on the chairs. So I set off, the boys shouting (off putting) advice about keeping it straight, don't turn etc.. so I go in fast & straight, suddenly as I approach the top, the board catches something, silly me trys to correct it and.... toe edged straight over the top !

The fast frame pics don't show the whole plop (thats cos I'm not working the camera!) & the guy videoing messes up, instead of catching the 'jump' only gets a few secs of me on the floor with a background of hysterical laughter Embarassed
ski holidays
DebbiDoesSnow, lets see. Laughing
snow report
Swirly, I only got the video last night and i think it will stay hidden in the archives of my pc Razz
But the toes edge & land pics are on face book though !!
ski holidays
DebbiDoesSnow, how can we track you down on FB to see the pics?
latest report
rayscoops, if you can find me I'll give you the video...... maybe
snow report
So many being a beginner but I'll say this year on a short narrow link between two runs that goes down a small ravine then straight back up..the "up" way is steepr and longer than the way "down" so we had to pick up quite a lot of speed to be able to reach the top on the other side with dismounting..and being narrow, not much room for manoeuvre.
So there I go in front of other people waiting their turn, fairly nervous (i don't like speed combined to straigh line).. it starts really well, I pick up a lot of speed, I get two thirds of the way feeling this is going well...........heel edge catches, shoulder smacks straight into the snow, head's next (thank you helmet), then my body kind of flips over me and I somehow land slightly off track in unpacked snow with the rear of my board planted/buried solid in snow up to my rear binding... Embarassed
I let the pain subside and the stars go away then try and lift my board up free of the snow...impossible so inded having to take both bindings off and finish the climb on foot... rolling eyes
latest report
poles = training wheels?

Most recent embarassing thing, i was having problems turning on the board, decided it was the binding angles. Finished for the day, went back to the flat, adjusted the binding to what i 'thought' would be better, turned out set them up regular instead (i am goofy), Next day spent most of the time riding backwards and/or falling over, blamed it on everything else. Eventually figured out it was the bindings, at this point it was now night skiing, ended up trying to reset them on a table outside an umbrella bar, could not do it with my gloves on, took them off, fingers instantly froze solid to the binding plates (aluminum) ... tried to get hot water from the umbrella bar to fix this, they did not understand.. ended up improvising and getting gluvine (sp?).. not a good evening (imagine the sight of pouring hot wine over your snowboard bindings). My bindings are now -15 +4 end of story. Smile
ski holidays
edmundf, Laughing
latest report
DebbiDoesSnow, nice landing.
snow report
Swirly, I aim to amuse Embarassed
latest report
About 9 years ago, coming back over to Le Lavachet after a late and far too liquid lunch in Val Disease I was caught short . . . the sort of 'if I take too long to get my gloves off I'll wet me'sen short' . . . about half way down Trolles. Conditions had been really crappy and the side of the piste was littered with large lumps of blue-ice crud, but it was late and the run empty so I tootled my board over to the side, found a balance on my toe edge, unzipped and went todger hunting through the layers. Just at the moment of blessed relief began there was the scrape of skis up the hill, I looked up, lost balance, slipped back, caught my heel edge and toppled backwards spearing my right kidney on a ice block and went spinning out onto the piste screaming in agony and spraying p*ss all over myself . . . just as half a dozen skiers came careering around the corner and had to take avoiding action to miss me . . . and the laughing began . . . They were all girls! Embarassed

I waved them away and managed to get myself sorted and down the hill. A meal, shower a handful of pain killers and some persuasion got me walking through the door at Crowded later that evening and just as I forced my way to the bar beside a bunch of very beautiful (I later learned Dutch) girls the laughing and pointing began again Embarassed . . . and spread to the rest of the bar as the tale had been told. Evil or Very Mad

I did get VERY p*ssed that night and didn't spend a penny but the kidney damage gave my piddle a Rosé tint for the rest of the week.

If you're going to make yellow snow . . . . unclip wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy