Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arosa

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm off there for a weekend at the end of January.

It's for a work conference so I didn't get to choose the resort - I'm thankful that we're not going to Leeds or something!

That said, I plan to get the best from the 2-3 days I'll get on the slopes.

I'm most interested in challenging skiing and offpiste opportunities. Are there any? Does anyone have recommendations? (whether bowls, trees, couloirs, etc)

(I'll find it hard to get a guide as I may be the only one heading offpiste)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I did have a look at this place for one of our Swiss road trips but the only thing I can recall is the trip over to Lenzerheide which will probably be a bit much if you are on your own and just looking for 'stuff'

so sorry, looks like you'll have to 1st report it..!!! Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I boarded there two years ago but did not look for off piste, that said I did nip in to the trees to avoid a piste back down to the resort and I recall that the pistes were more spread out over a few mountains (rather than just a vertical climb) which meant that there was a bit of trecking from one piste to the next, and I am sure that means a bit of off piste linking the runs. Also lots of walking tracks that suggest a bit of off piste maybe??

Arosa is a real gem of a resort though, great train ride up to the resort that stops at the main gondola in the middle of town, and lots of 'horse and carts' around
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
horizon, please report back on your trip. I'm wondering about Arosa as a base for a family Christmas this year. I'm not sure how practicable (i.e. affordable) the train is going to be, with loads of people. Can you get group tickets on Swiss railways? Is the car journey up there fairly horrendous?

We want something quaint, traditional, something other than skiing. Thanks.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I went to Arosa a few years back.

It is a pleasant resort, if memory serves it's more Swiss sanatorium look than Swiss chocolate box, but not unpleasant in the manner of French purpose built resorts. It's set around a lake which at this time of year will probably have skating/curling options.

The skiing is not particularly challenging as I recall though I had my (then) 6 year old with me, so I didn't do anything harder than a blue. Can't remember stacks of off piste, but as before I wasn't really looking for it. There are two main ski areas and I think you need to get a bus to get from one to another, but it may be possible to get across using harder runs than I was on.

The train ride up is fab. You pick it up from outside Chur mainline station - it goes from what looks like a bus stop and indeed, for the first mile or so the tracks go up the roads rather like a tram. After that it climbs into the hills and wends it's way though Heidi country. Station is in the middle of town.

Regarding affordable trains for families, the best option if you fly into Zurich or Geneva is to get a Swiss Transfer ticket. This gets one adult and as many accompanying children under 16 as you can manage from the airport to the resort for around £50. Zurich airport to Chur is quite regular and you might even be able to avoid changing. Not sure about Geneva - it's right at the other end of the country so probably quite an epic trip.

d
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pendodave, thanks for all that. Very useful.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, the trainride from Chur is a classic and had it's own episode of Swiss Railway Journeys. They do do groups. In fact one time I had to stand up the whole hour up because all the seats were reserved for a group. Unlike Davos/Klosters it is immune to weekend crowding thanks to the tortuous route up from Chur.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy