Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To queue or not to queue

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Queuing seems to work perfectly well in theme parks across Europe, such as Disneyland Paris and Universal Mediterranea. It all comes down to the willingness of the resort operator to set up proper queuing areas and enforce the rules.

But I find the European approach suits me quite well. If you spend a few moments of your life observing queue dynamics, you can work out exactly where to join the throng if you want to minimise your wait time. Much better than joining the end of the queue with other people.

I think that crowded pistes are more of a problem than crowded lifts. Every empty seat on a chair lift means one less idiot who's about to stop without warning on the fastest part of the slope.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jonny Jones wrote:
Every empty seat on a chair lift means one less idiot who's about to stop without warning on the fastest part of the slope.
This is a common misconception and one of the principle reasons for accidents on piste. Although users should not intentionally stop in the middle of a piste, especially in narrow passages or where they cannot be seen such as under a rise (FIS rule 6), this does happen unintentionally at times as well (a fall, etc).
The responsibility is therefore ENTIRELY on the skier coming from above/behind to allow for this eventuality (FIS rules 2, 3 & 4). The "idiot" is the skier/boarder that thinks everyone should get out of his way!
Check out PISTE SAFETY
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

This is a common misconception and one of the principle reasons for accidents on piste

I've got no misconceptions about the rule, I've never hit anyone from behind and I don't think everyone should get out of my way. I was describing the heart-sinking feeling that I get when I arrive at the part of a run where I'm desperate to let rip and I see a huge crocodile of beginners hesitantly picking their way across. I'm miserable because I have to go slowly and responsibly, assume they're all idiots and give them space, not because I've just hit one of them.

Crowded pistes take the fun out of skiing. When resorts replace old, slow lifts with modern, high capacity equipment, they need to make sure that they have sufficient downhill capacity too. This doesn't always happen.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jonny Jones, That's fine Jenny, but you did describe someone stopping without warning in front of you as an idiot, and it's a fact that this can happen unintentionally. Hence the onus being on the uphill skier to take care. And beginners are usually on the lower slopes, the resort approaches - there are plenty of places to ski where beginners are nowhere to be seen. The fact remains that collisions are mostly caused by agressive skiers, frequently skiing beyond their ability and ignoring the rules, close to resort. Why "assume they're all idiots", these poor beginners? You were one once!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I assume they're all idiots because it makes me feel better. It's nothing personal - I ski with three young kids and they get in everyone's way when they're ploughing down the slopes.

You'd probably assume I was an idiot, too, if you saw me skiing - I don't have the good fortune to live near the slopes like you do snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy