Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Snow Report 2007-2008

Poster: A snowHead
what a great day
despite not getting up there till 11.30 we had first tracks in some amazing places./

i actually cut the path for the boss a joule, and put one of the first tracks under the cucamel lift and the very first track on the off piste of the cucamel! the cucamel was so good we did it twice!

great great day, just enough snow to make it awesome and it was blue bird for most of it have a few pics will up load later
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowangel., fantastic!! The webcams had hardly a soul on them earlier. Can't wait.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Beaumont, if the upcoming snow happens it will be an epic end to the season.
I'm just preying my swallow tail turns up intime to make it not new for next season!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowangel., remember, one swallow doesn't make the spring Laughing ..... or something like that anyway Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rayscoops, i just dont want to be blamed if, god forbid, the snow is bad next year, it needs to be out of it wrapper and used before the end of the season.
If it means i have to go hike the lauteret so be it! but i will use it this side of summer!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowangel., Lucky you - sounds great! snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
17th april

snowing in resort! very wet snow bt snowing neverthe less

swallow tail arrived too........ what are you doing on a computer i hear you all yell.

i have spent the last 2 days in bed with a throat infection, still feel too week to ride her, but she is beautifull and is now waxed and waiting for my bindings, tomorrow i'm gonna go ride her! it could be amusing! Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
blue skies (well nearly all) this morning, lots of fresh up top, swallow tail ready to ride.
Off to monetier shortly, have some nice pics for you from the last week, will get some more today
Very Happy
monetier closes this weekend, better go and make the most of it
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arrived last night in very heavy snow across the Col du Lauteret. Waiting for the ski tech to finish waxing my skis, then off up top. Have fun snowangel., might bump into you.
snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont, is the snow really banked up eitherside of the road through the Col? I remember driving through once when it was like that - a strange feeling.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chasseur, Puzzled Laughing , it will have been like that all winter, it was only the top section that was still like that last night. Car we hired ended up being an automatic Astra. Not hubby's choice of car for a snowy drive, but it had a snow and ice setting which helped, and winter tyres. Skiing today was like a 4 seasons trip. Only thing I didn't ski was ice. Being the final days of the season, pisteurs must have been on the lash last night, as only the blues had been pisted. Cibouit red was knee deep powder.!! First runs were excellent, but nil visibility on Yret spoilt my morning a touch. Followed julesb down. Heavy going on the churned up and unpisted runs below Bachas, as the snow was very heavy. More forecast for tonight.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh,and our thanks to Luke who was off property hunting in Briancon this morning, and stopped by to say hello, and woke us up, seriously thanks, or we'd have slept through the best part of the day. Sorry we didn't make it over to Villeneuve for lunchtime, completely no visibility on Yret freaked me out a bit.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen Beaumont, what a morning and indeed day! cibouit off piste, then straight up the yret chair to the montagnol! totally awesome with only a 5 min walk out at the end! incredibably! Had a quick coffee and went to do it again but by the time we got to the top of the Yret it was in the bad cloud! hysterically we found our way down the piste by following the markers that you could litterally only just see,a nd decided to leave monetier and risk the cuc. What a great idea that was as it was clear on the other side! cucamel was a bit heavyer than monetier but still very very nice.

my new swallow tail is the most awesome ride ever! so so so much fun was had today on that board and it honestly didn't feel like iwas riding anything other t han my normal board!
i have some great pics, but camera died while out today so am waiting for it to charge. will post later
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowangel., incredible for April. Pleased I could follow hubby's red hat down Yret though. Very Happy .Vin chaud helped me recovery. wink Looks like some more is on the way too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont, yeh was snowing when i came down at 3 and is raining in the valley now! quite loudly on my bedroom roof!

i am totally exhusted!
snow report
last sunday, hiking the cuc

a wind swept cuc

little slide, backside of the grande serre

boss a joule, lovely as usual

from today
the cibouet red, Very Happy

looking down the montagnol

looking up the montagnol at my line

looking up from the run out of the montagnol

we passed 4 small avalanches down the run out, brings it home to you!
snow conditions
Particularly like the "looking up from the run out of the montagnol" photo - very atmospheric.
ski holidays
snowangel., Fab photos as usual - look very good with you too. LG open until 1st may, I'm hoping they'll stay open later than that - they often do if there's good snow.
snow report
i reall y must add this photo
me and my beast Very Happy

just a small swallow tail at that! but oh my she is a beauty snowHead
latest report
absolutely poohing it down with snow at my house! incredible for this time of year!
ski holidays
Poohing it down in Monetier too. Off to bed early. Oh it is going to be such a good one tomorrow...................... snowHead I promise some pics too.
snow conditions
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
oh my, what an interesting day this has proved to be.

it started with a text from my buddy saying she wasn't riding due to an injury from yesterday. This ment that we wouldn't be going to monetier to start our day. How much of a good thing did this turn out to be i didn't find out till apres ski. Aparently every one who went to Monetier for first lifts were left watching them blast the mountain for a couple of hours, or ride the lower, slower due to heavy powder, slopes.
We were also left waiting at serre ratier, a frustrating thing when your on the first coombs chair waiting! but for us it was only 15 mins wait. Once on our way the fun began.
It was soooooooo deep, and soooooooo deep on piste! So deep that they actually had to do a lot of pisting before opening just to enable people to move on piste!!!
We had to go and meet someone at the clot gautier. And getting there was such fun. freshies all the way, onpiste, off piste, but if you didn't keep steep it wasn't good!
Laughing
anyway the Clot Gautier was closed! as was the cote chevalier Confused Finally we found the frejus open and the real fun began!
What amazing conditions, really totally awesome.
going uup the clot gautier lift once it did finally open

this is the most amazing mountain, La Cucamel in all her untracked beauty

we put tracks down the steep just before the black,
and here looking up at them and my buddy in black a little stuck Embarassed

and finally, a gully in the trees by the prorel. much heavier by now as in the afternoon but still so lovely!

We got a good meter of snow at the top yesterday/last night and for the first 3 hours it was light and fluffy and just so so much fun, for me anyway, but all i heard was people moaning about how thick it was and how they kept sinking and digging themselves out.

Thank you my beast of a swallow tail, it made the day just perfect Very Happy
snow conditions
snowangel. wrote:

looking up from the run out of the montagnol

that looks like the way we took out to Le Monetier at the end of my tour in the Ecrins this time last year. to say it looks much more wintry this year would be a serious understatement!
ski holidays
Arno, you couldn't even get there today as far as i'm aware (unless hiking) they never opend the Yret chair.

Never seen snow like that in april, and this late, however it did get heavier the lower you got and the later it got.
snow report
snowangel., no Yret was closed, but snow was still fantastic. Stopped early though due to it getting too heavy and cut up. Thank goodness for my Miss Demeanors I wouldn't have wanted to ski on anything narrower today.
snow report
Another great April day!! 240cm up top, and Monetier is closing today. There was so much snow under the Cibouit chair, that my skis scraped the floor before they were supposed to. Rather sad to see the pisteurs dismantling the piste markers on Cibouit Noir though. Morning runs were fantastic with some of th best snow I've skied all winter, although there was a howling gale at the top of Yret, but at least the visibility was better than on Saturday. All the staff at the Bachas were getting dirunk in between serving lunch. Sticky after lunch so we didn't stay up too long. MY season has finished , no more skiing for ages now Sad . snowangel., have fun for the rest of the week. It is a spectacular end to the season.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, glad you had a good day, day off for me, seem not to be as well as i thought i was on friday! might be something to do with riding hard for two days!
see you next season!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, glad you finished on a high. Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, so am I, hope you are getting a well deserved break, and that it warms up soon. Looking forward to the summer now.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, Still got some work this week though not a full week - luxury! Very Happy
ski holidays
We left a very white Monetier yesterday.Seemed sad with no lifts running, although Villneeve and Chantemerle are still open.
A foot of snow cleared off the car..........
latest report
yes, there was another 40cm of new snow up top yesterday.
but the otherhalf argued with a tree, lost and although not broken is now spending the rest of the week in bed! rolling eyes
sunny weather due for the rest of the week/
perfect way to end a pretty damm (for me anyway) perfect season

oh and i just got my job confirmed for next season Very Happy even have to go get fitted for my jacket on friday! LOL Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
23/04/08
lovely day on the mountain. started around 9.30 to find lots and lots of untracked snow (can no longer call it powder as it isn't! its just untracked!)
grande serre first, then a small hike to ride the face of the petit alpe (bois de coq drag now closed). up the prorel traverse skiers left to find more untracked snow to make our mark in.

quick stop at cafe sol, and over to clot gautier via the back side of the grand serre, again leaving our marks! And so to the boss a joule, wasn't the first up there but the only tracks were skier tracks which made the hike hard work. Knee high pow all the way! Worth it though, 2nd and third track round the back and through the rocks, then no tracks at all, just a couple of slides to avoid and open pow wow - well spring pow not so wow but still great fun!

back up the clot chevalier and down via the n ow closed park making tracks all the way.

Ending up with a 50cl bottle of rose at cafe soliel and a nice hours sunbath.

what more can you ask for the last wednesday of the season!

I do think that is the last off piste day, but the pistes are still lovely to ride, getting slushy from about 2100 but the others are still very agreeable!
I have some pics from today, will up load them with the rest from this week, thus giving you the best of the last few days.

i will be very sad to see this season close Blush
ski holidays
24th april

yet another beautiful day in Serre che. Only got up for a couple of hours today, but wanted to make sure i didn't miss the last few days

pistes still in fab condition, you know i haven't seen a pebble on the piste since feb!!! Shocked which is pretty damm good esp for this time of year. The only place there are more than a few pebbles is on the luc alphond that is now unridable because the wall is,......erm how shall i put it...... half grass at the top!

didn't do much off piste but what we did was very nice spring snow, bit crusty under the trees but in all other places very nice

am sporting a bit of sunburnt shoulder due to yesterdays wine drinking session! rolling eyes

more of that planned for tomorrow and then a mass lunch/drinking session planned on sat from 2 with all the locals to bid farewell to the best season.
latest report
Hi Snowangel
Seeing your wonderful pics and descriptions has made me really happy. I've just got back from a 3wk business trip in Malaysia, with 30 degree heat and 80% humidity, and I know where I would rather have been working instead...Sigh.
Hope your head is better after the big finish to the season! Enjoy the summer too...
Marj
ski holidays
MarjMJ, thank you!

and so we have come to the last day of the season, sob sob! There is still so much snow up there. Just getting my act together to go for one final shred, then a little ski with No 1 Daughter and then big drink up/lunch with most of the other expats/seasonairs.
full report to follow, but it is a beautiful sunny day, should be a scortcher up there!
latest report
snowangel., enjoy the final day
snow report
And so it has all come to an end. And what an amazing season it was.
Here are some photo's of the last week

wednesday, off piste at the boss a joule!

thursday, looking over towards the grand serre from the top of the Crete drag

and saturday. offpiste dropping off the back of the grande serre (looking up)

and looking down

and finally the prorel in all its glory and still totally covered!

its been such fun!

fingers crossed we get more of the same next year.

See you all in 2008/09

Bye for now Very Happy snowHead
snow report
Thanks for the reports. give me a bell when you're over here in the summer. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy