Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Too Much Choice......don't let me waste my money

Poster: A snowHead
Returning to skiing after a long absence last year I realised my C&A EVF (anyone remember 1980s cheap ski gear?) didn't cut it, so I'm in the market for lots of new stuff. Went to Snow and Rock and they suggested Kjus and Spyder (lovely but bloody expensive), then a mate from the lake district said try Keela (Munro jacket). Shouls I pay £200 more for a ski brand? What will I get for the extra money? Will I ever make a decision? Help!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
philipmarris, they only say that because they want to shift loads of expensive stock. If you're only skiing once or twice a year, go for something cheaper.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
philipmarris, Welcome to snowHead and enjoy the journey ....

Masque put together an excellent winter clothing guide Here .... ignore the title but you'll find most snowHead even if they wear designer gear (not that I've seen) look for value for money and will buy abroad or in sales ...but this guide is A1 imho ...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
philipmarris, IMO Spyder and Kjus are stupidly overpriced.. avoid avoid avoid.

Has anybody seen the Prada and Gucci ski numbers..?? Almost pissed my pants when I saw them...the ones I saw looked totally inadequate for any even vaguely serious skier/boarder..when I saw the price tag I almost keeled over and died.

I would say buy a jacket that has good breathability, water resistance (say 10,000 or above) and warmth.

I succumbed to a Bonfire number a few weeks ago.. it is a down jacket.. technically sound.. okay i`ll be honest I just thought it looked cool!

It has been said before but give TK Maxx a go. I got a great pair of Quiksilver Pants (RRP £220) for £49.99. They are awesome.. haven`t tried them on snow yet.. but while teaching on the dry ski slope I felt pretty cool snowHead Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As you're in Brum, would a trip to Bicester Retail Village be doable?

Last year got a pair of £200 HH shell trousers for £99 and a £150 FatFace shell jacket for £75. They were great in the Tropical conditions in Soll last March

North Face have an outlet, as do Timberland

From the season before, but does it really matter?

Could get Prada too, if you were that way inclined
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
this sounds a bit weird but TK max is not a bad starting point in the second city
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spyder-stupidly over priced? not if your careful-I have a spyder jacket/ 2 pairs of bormio salopettes and out of the many pairs from numerous makes ive had they are by far the best. If you look about you can catch really good deals!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
philipmarris, you can buy a Keela Munro jacket here through our SnowHeads snowShops.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Buy your gear in ski/climbing shops in the spring of summer. Some great bargains to be had.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you ski a lot there is something to be said for buying decent quality stuff. My salopettes have done over 30 weeks though I am just pensioning them off as they have got really thin. My jacket has done nearly 30 weeks and is still going reasonably strong. I bought them both in sales but they were pretty pricey pre-sale price and I think with cheaper stuff it would not have lasted nearly as long.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mrtoastie, Spyder is top quality gear. If you're skiing in -20 with the wind blowing, you won't be saying it's stupidly overpriced. The best fabrics, features, wearability and it's built to last. I hammer my Spyder kit and not one piece has failed.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mrtoastie, Have to agree with Spyderman, on this one. Spyder do make some superb gear, yes it's pricey, but you get what you pay for. Have used mine in very cold weather (reported to be -37 with the wind chill) and wouldn't think twice about buying some more.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
you get what you pay for.

not necessarily. Expensive gear from a reliable brand is no doubt good, but that doesn't mean that well specified gear with a less fashionable label, at half the price, is not just as good. My most comfortable pair of long johns, I noticed the other day, was from C & A. How old must they be? Washed a million times, soft and comfortable, kept their shape (like me, really).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wait until Aldi get their skiing gear in later in the year, inexpensive and excellent quality.

TK Max also have some good stuff, keep an eye out for when their stuff is in stock.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone for your input. I guess there's a lot of support for Spyder here. I can get a Keela Munro jacket for £125. What will Spyder gear give me that this won't?
ski holidays
philipmarris, a big hole in the bank account. Laughing
snow report
philipmarris, patronising glances in the lift queue....not from me I hasten to add
snow conditions
old-american-men checking you out.... philipmarris, where do you do most of your skiing and at what time of year?
snow report
skiing this season December in 4 valleys, Switzerland, January in Salzburgerland, Austria, and February in Vermont. Also do a fioar amount of hill walking in UK
snow report
If you are looking to use this jacket for hillwaking id go with the Keela, otherwise id seriously considering spending more and getting a technical ski jacket-even north face at the ^£300 mark are very good ski jackets! Sounds like if your skiing around x-mas you will need something warm-another pro for a spyder being rediculously warm. I have a killy jacket aswell which is excellent despite the price tag- never found cold!
ski holidays
If you are the right side of Brummingham, you could do worse than driving to Go Outdoors in Coventry......have picked up a couple of excellent bargains there over the years....
snow report
TK Maxx - some good stuff ACG, HH and Cross etc but also a lot of crap so caveat emptor.

Decathlon - lots of really well thought out own brand kit without any brand premium.

Aldi Tchibo etc - good socks but wouldn't want the whole kit
latest report
Spyderman, srobbo, I survived quite happily at -29 in my Descente.. (I didn`t pay for it though). I take your point that Spyder is top quality gear.. I agree.. I also think it is a total waste of money for a skier who skis two or three weeks a year (IMVHO).
snow conditions
mrtoastie, Descente gear is probably more expensive than Spyder. How much you ski goes a long way to justifying the cost, but you can just as easily freeze your nuts off if you ski 2-3 days a year, let alone 2-3 weeks. Good kit is good kit, irrespective of how much use you intend to give it.
snow report
Certainly also worth checking out Sun Valley, not your traditional ski stuff but the spec is great for the money.
latest report
Quote:

you can just as easily freeze your nuts off if you ski 2-3 days a year, let alone 2-3 weeks. Good kit is good kit, irrespective of how much use you intend to give it.

I find you can keep warm in just about anything; better quality kit tends to perform better in the wet (which you hope to avoid skiing) and it lasts longer.
latest report
Just came across this: http://mountainwarehouse.com/shop/offer/offer_id/42.html

Not the best quality I'm sure but a good deal if you're buying everything from scratch in one go...
snow report
Yes, quality clothing is more comfortable and harder-wearing, but skiing/snowboarding-specific jackets appear to be £100/£200 more than hiking/climbing jackets. As far as I can tell, they're doing the same thing. So with that in mind, I would say some brands are stupidly expensive for no other reason that the cache of skiing/snowboarding as opposed to 'other' outdoor pursuits.

I ski in this: http://www.paramo.co.uk/en-gb/garments/detail/index.php?pgc=NIKWAXANALOGYSMOCKASPIRAMENS because I find Gore-tex too sweat-inducing for any activity that's at least mildly aerobic.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I would say some brands are stupidly expensive for no other reason that the cache of skiing/snowboarding as opposed to 'other' outdoor pursuits.

Spot on hbunny, you don't have to spend the earth on your gear. My mid winter jacket? A 5seasons I bought for £50 years ago. Dealt with -40 windchill in Tignes last season, with only a T-shirt underneath. Helly Hansen stuff is good tho. As with any ski gear never buy full price, it is a rip-off, wait for the sales.

Can anyone beat my pikey ski gear? I doubt it! £500 for a ski jacket?? I'd rather spend the dosh on holidays and beer thank you. Biggest rip-off brand I've seen must be Archteryx (sp?). What exactly are you paying for there? I've closely inspected their gear in the shops and can't work it out at all.
snow report
the ice perv, with Arc'teryx you pay for the quality of design, the finish, teh fact that they are made in Canada not Taiwan etc. I would guess taht there are very few finer outdoor jackets if you are a slim athlete and they fit you.

I however am not a slim athlete and my current jacket was bought at Super Soccer Sports wink
snow report
philipmarris, Buy the gear in Vermont if you can hold out. The US can be way cheaper for a lot of top end stuff.

the ice perv, Best jacket I have ever had is Arcteryx and it knocks all the others I have seen into touch. But you would be a twit to buy UK RRP for it, or for any Jacket greater than £200.

I have one of these (not in red) and this looks a good deal (about the same as it would cost you in the US...
latest report
Mmm, I had an Arcteryx but the fabric ripped first week I used it; got another and the fabric ripped first week I used it. Evil or Very Mad

Never managed to damage a Goretex jacket before or since so was I just unlucky? Puzzled
snow report
I have an Arc'Teryx which seems pretty bomb-proof. Best advice I could give is would be to go for an outer shell rather than a padded style of ski jacket - it is much easier to dress according to the weather by layering up, rather than being stuck with something too hot. I think this is particularly relevant in your case if you want it for hiking as well. I would also look for something with pit zips.

Gore-Tex can be pricey but there are good deals out there (Sprayway is one good value brand). eVent is also a good fabric and some might argue more breathable (and cheaper) than Gore-Tex.
latest report
Ha ha! I have aroused the Archteryx fans! Toofy Grin I'm not saying they are bad jackets as such, just that I don't see that they are worth the extra over other brands. e.g. bought some HH salopettes last year, took them into the changing room with a pair of Archteryx. Went over them both in detail, seemed virtually identical in terms of breathability, waterproofing, but the HH had far more features, seemed sturdier, had insulation, zipped vents.....

.....and were £150 less. Case closed. Cool
snow conditions
the ice perv, fair point. They aren't worth the money they cost over here.
snow report
the ice perv, talk to any sailor here about HH and hear them snort, the perception is that only their very top gear is worth the price for sturdiness and functionality, the rest, well, suffice it to say that the HH shop in Georgetown is no longer in business.

stoatsbrother wrote:
the ice perv, fair point. They aren't worth the money they cost over here.

From my viewpoint, very little is. Can't tell you how many times I've shaken my head over a "fair deal".
snow report
Quote:

talk to any sailor here about HH and hear them snort

I'll take your word for it comprex, but it doesn't necessarily follow that their ski gear is tat just becoz their sailing gear is. From what I know of proper decent sailing gear it is of far higher spec than most wintersports clobber.

BTW Spyder base layers look like Spiderman pyjamas. Grown men cannot wear such things and be taken seriously! Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy