Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting fit for the coming season

Poster: A snowHead
Burpees - http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/burpeeclip.htm

I don't do them as they're bad for my knees Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
erica2004 wrote:
KateF, I've just started this - seriously good workout. I'd be doing it this week, but have sprained my ankle Sad

Hope the ankle gets better soon! I tried an 'expert' spin the other week - an hour and a quarter - if that can't get you fit nothing can!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
[/quote]
"burpees"?

I think this is where you start standing up, crouch down so you have hands on floor next to your feet. Then jump your legs backwards so they are about a metre behing your hands. Then jump them back in so they're next to your hands again, then jump back up into the air to standing

Aomehow reminiscent of primary school gym lessons, so maybe completely wrong! Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wide arm press ups - press ups with your hands slightly greater than a shoulder widths apart.

Body weight squats - arms crossed, keeping your back straight, flex from the hips, and knees simultaneously to squat down then drive back up to standing.

Lunges - Step one leg forward, and with the other one go down onto your knee, then return back to standing.

Close grip press ups - press ups with your thumbs touching.

Crunches - the first half of a sit up.

Squat jumps - as per squats but when driving up, try and power up and jump as high as possible.

Heel taps - lie on your back, keeping your lower back in contact with the ground, raise and lower your legs by flexing at the hips, so that they go from horizontal to vertical, but try not to let them touch the ground.

Reverse crunches - Lie on your front, and then arch your back so that your shoulders, arms, and upper torso leave the floor, as if you were going to go sky diving.

Burpees, crouch down, put both your hands on the floor, either side of your feet, then jump out with your feet so that you end up in the press up position, jump them back to between your legs, then jump up to standing again.

Hope this is helpful. And as always get someone who knows what they're doing to check your form if doing them for the first time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My version of burpees has a "star jump" as part of the jump to standing bit...(they are also called b*stards at our hockey club)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, they're definitely best saved to the end so that they can be savoured and appreciated. Twisted Evil I like the starjumps as well.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bump for anyone else stuck in a hotel room and looking for a "in room" workout.....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is such a poo-poo thread.

Forget all the BS exercise above, start with the simple basics.

No equipment is needed. Just go out and walk fast or jog for 20-30mins or cycle for 1 hour everyday & your get fit. You lose weight get aerobically fit No gym is needed & Its free

If you start tomorrow by next season your be incredibly FIT,
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton wrote:
No equipment is needed. Just go out and walk fast or jog for 20-30mins or cycle for 1 hour everyday & your get fit. You lose weight get aerobically fit No gym is needed & Its free

Aerobic exercise alone is not as efficient as aerobic exercise in combination with resistance work for getting fit. The whole point of the workout above was to suggest a bodyweight resistance routine that does not need any equipment, and so would be free.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stanton wrote:
This is such a poo-poo thread.

Forget all the BS exercise above, start with the simple basics.

If you start tomorrow by next season your be incredibly FIT,

I take it you've read the whole thread, including the "non equipment" body weight circuit Kramer posted? rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski,

Of course he's read the whole thread, but how is he supposed to carry out those exercises in a Dutch hotel while wearing a pair of these .... ?

http://www.wrightsys.com/Trips/eurotrip/pages/49%20Clogs.htm
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton, I agree, but I've become even fitter since signing up for (and attending!) British Miltary Fitness - no equipment needed for that either. I can even do burpees now without back or knee pain Madeye-Smiley

DB what a relief on opening the picture. I thought it could be much more smutty...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Running and pilates would be my recommendation for an effective, cheap, convenient and time efficient training regime. Running up and down hills is good. Off road even better (don't know why - I just get fitter faster running off road than on.)

Any exercise would be better than no exercise, I'd guess!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Running's cr*p for the knees. Better on a bike or swimming - much less impact. Whenever I'm away (too much these days!) I always try to ensure a pool is nearby.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RobW, I agree that running isn't ideal for the knees, but if you build up gradually and have decent shoes you shouldn't have too many problems.

I can't see that swimming on its own would be much good, as it's weight-supported (unlike skiing) and there's not much use of the legs (unlike skiing, although it's good for "poling" along!). (That said, any exercise is better than no exercise.)

Swimming and cycling would be a good mix.
ski holidays
Is there any point in all this fitness if after your first day on the slope you have a few to many jagerbombs and are drinking toffee vodka from someones boots? All you hard work goes out the window Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Get on the bike and do some hill walking mixed with light jogging and you should be on your way oh and lots of squats Twisted Evil
snow conditions
My approach to getting/keeping fit is to try and cycle to and from work as often as possible upto a max of 4 days per week. My commute is 15 miles each way at 50 mins per trip so thats upto 6hrs 40minutes cycling per week. It occupies time I would be travelling anyway, is often faster than taking the car given the traffic and once you've cycled in your commited to the return Smile.

One evening a week at least I'll train on roller skis - good for balance and technique. Weekends I'll either race (on rollers) or do another days training on rollers or some more biking.

I hate running, but should add some in and I should do some circuits as suggested byKramer, but can never seem to find the time.
snow conditions
Most people have poor knees because they have poor quads (injuries not withstanding ) and it will take a concerted effort to address this.

Most common symptom is a sharp pain in the knee ligaments under duress which can be addressed by strenghtening the muscles around the knees... IMV
ski holidays
Kramer, thanks for posting that body weight circuit. I was trying to visualise these Embarassed
Kramer wrote:
Reverse crunches - Lie on your front, and then arch your back so that your shoulders, arms, and upper torso leave the floor, as if you were going to go sky diving.
and thought I had, but then I found this http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises_7.htm Shocked . It seems a completely different exercise called the same thing Puzzled .
snow report
peura, my terminology is quite idiosyncratic. Another name for the exercise I describe is a 'superman' I think. Very Happy

I've just started intervals in the park this week. They're quite simple - run as fast as you can for 2 minutes, rest for 1 minute, then repeat 10 times. If you want to make it harder, do it on a hill.
snow report
Kramer, intervals hurt, do you stop when you rest or carry on jogging? I always thought it was the later.

Edit: for a change I'd occasionally do 8km of sprint 400m, fast walk/slow jog 400m then collapse.
ski holidays
we used to do "Henny Mullers" at rugby - run at 3/4 pace the length of the pitch, sprint full belt accross the width, run 3/4 pace diagonally from the corner flag back to start point, then trot slowly back accross the width to recover. Repeat process 10 times at start of training session and 10 times at end. A killer but good for stamina. Giving an 18 stone prop a piggy-back throughout every second or third "lap" added a bit of intensity. Happy days (this was back at under-20 level - would scarcely manage one of them these days rolling eyes Sad )
snow conditions
Lamp posts work well for interval training, using the gaps between them. Sprint one gap then jog the next two, repeat untill sick.
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:
Lamp posts work well for interval training, using the gaps between them...

But there's only one lampost between my house & the pub wink
snow conditions
Cheers Kramer, yours make more sense for what I wanted to achieve. "Superman" almost captures it but he was quite inconsistent with the position of his arms IIRC Laughing .
I used to do interval training whilst swimming when I was younger, the trouble now is finding a pool that is empty enough to allow one to swim a length at full speed without worrying about crashing Smile . Good for the breathing...
The suggestion I've read for people starting running/jogging was intervals of 1min running following by 1:30min walking and gradually increasing the running. It did work quite well for me before - I'm trying it again.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:
Lamp posts work well for interval training, using the gaps between them...

But there's only one lampost between my house & the pub wink

Right, shuttle runs for you me lad wink
ski holidays
blimey, i've just tried out that body circuit (thanks kramer, esp for the second one with explanations!) and i am completely knackered. is it supposed to be cardiovascular as well as strength building? it got me puffed out - i am sooo unfit.
i was just about to post something about getting fit when i found this post. been for my first swim (of the year) and did 1/2 a mile of crawl this morning, in my realisation that our holiday is only 8 weeks away and i've done no exercise for the past 5 years.
latest report
burpees are ...

Start in a push up position.
Do one push up.
Quickly jump feet forward to a squatting position, like in a squat thrust.
Jump high into the air, bringing your knees up to your chest & raising your hands above your head.
Land with feet together, on the balls of your feet..
Drop back to a squat.
Jump feet back to a push up position.
Repeat many times.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thought I was ahead of the game, managed to keep things ticking over over over summer with the odd run/gym session, even did a 10k charity run.
Two weeks ago did my back in in a slightly optimistic attempt at lifting two bags of plaster in one go.

When the stiffness wears off I'll be right back at square one Sad
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
Wide arm press ups - press ups with your hands slightly greater than a shoulder widths apart.

Body weight squats - arms crossed, keeping your back straight, flex from the hips, and knees simultaneously to squat down then drive back up to standing.

Lunges - Step one leg forward, and with the other one go down onto your knee, then return back to standing.

Close grip press ups - press ups with your thumbs touching.

Crunches - the first half of a sit up.

Squat jumps - as per squats but when driving up, try and power up and jump as high as possible.

Heel taps - lie on your back, keeping your lower back in contact with the ground, raise and lower your legs by flexing at the hips, so that they go from horizontal to vertical, but try not to let them touch the ground.

Burpees, crouch down, put both your hands on the floor, either side of your feet, then jump out with your feet so that you end up in the press up position, jump them back to between your legs, then jump up to standing again.

Hope this is helpful. And as always get someone who knows what they're doing to check your form if doing them for the first time.

bumping this as I'm travelling a fair bit and knew this simple workout above was buried in snowheads somewhere Smile
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
A simple body weight circuit-

10 wide arm press ups

10 body weight squats

12 right leg lunges, then 12 left leg lunges

10 close grip press ups

20 crunches

10 squat jumps

20 heel taps

20 reverse crunches

10 burpees

You can either do all of them together, then repeat with two minutes rest between each circuit, or break them down into sets of three (squats+squat jumps+lunges, wide grip press ups+burpees+close grip press ups, crunches+reverse crunches+heel taps) with one to two minutes between each set, and repeat each set three times. Alternate with some pure CV days and some front and side planks, and you'll be well away.
ski holidays
Some interesting options here

http://youtube.com/v/iFghi1U1A6w
snow report
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2322470/The-7-minute-workout-proven-good-long-run-weights-session--PAIN-reap-benefits.html
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy