Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The "getting abuse from the skiers" rapid response thread.

Poster: A snowHead
I agree with Lizzard, not all skiers are like that , I used to ski myself Embarassed
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lizzard,
Quote:

Don't you get told off (or indeed thrown out) at Xscape for doing that sort of thing?
I wasn't implying that all folk that ski are idiot weirdos, just the ones at Xscape that think they are better than everyone else. They didn't get told off or throw out for doing that - It happens a lot! Mad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Leedslips, sounds like a rubbish facility if half the punters are allowed to bully the other half.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowboarding is the best thing that has happened to skiing in recent years.

It revitalized a tired, aging sport.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Well said Whitegold, Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
debbi wrote:
The same applies to when I have to go round a group of skiiers who are standing around on the brow of a hill chatting - shouldnt they be at the side of the piste too ???

They should, yes!
Elizabeth B wrote:
Megamum, have you tried snowboarding? If you fall over on skis, getting up again is fairly easy. If I wipe out on my board, it can take a while to get my breath back (on a board you wipe out far more violently than on skis) and then get going. Unless the snow is really soft, it is impossible to stand up still on the board, so you "catch a moment" to recover while you are "sat down".

No worries, so next time I nearly ski into a large group of snowboarders who've been sitting down chatting in a line across a red or black piste, invariably just after a rise in the terrain which makes it hard/impossible to see them from above, I'll be sure once I've finished my emergency evasive manoeuvres to commiserate with them for all falling over at the same time but will compliment them on their ability to do so in a neat line, on their bums and all facing down the hill Laughing

I'll also bear in mind that if I make my presence known it'll also stop any or all of them from casually getting up without looking up the hill to see who or what is heading down and boarding straight into my line Very Happy

Excellent, glad that's sorted Little Angel
Whitegold wrote:

This however is very true! Very Happy

Actually despite the near misses and some completely unapologetic boarders pushing my 7 year old daughter off a moving chairlift last year I find most experienced (and therein lies the important word) boarders are totally cool and I really like their attitude - ultimately you can't judge every boarder, or every skier, on the basis of a few idiots so love and peace all round snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

No worries, so next time I nearly ski into a large group of snowboarders who've been sitting down chatting in a line across a red or black piste, invariably just after a rise in the terrain which makes it hard/impossible to see them from above, I'll be sure once I've finished my emergency evasive manoeuvres to commiserate with them for all falling over at the same time but will compliment them on their ability to do so in a neat line, on their bums and all facing down the hill

LMFAO roga, Laughing Well it's ok coz you'll be going that slow waving your sticks in the air, like ya do, that you'll have time to compliment us all on our ability and cool looks! Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^ LOL, oh yeah - I'm always wowed by the bording steeze on display as well as the abilty to synchronise the falls across any given run Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rolling eyes roga, See, you're getting all confused again, bless - Snowboarders, as a rule do fall a lot (I agree) but that's only coz we push ourselves so we can improve. Skiiers on the other hand never fall, or get any better... The end wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nar Nar na nar na, come and hav a go if u fink your ard enough, its my turn on the swings, im tellin my mum, etc.

Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jbob, Its all in good humour - there's no need to go tell you mum Twisted Evil

oops you dropped you comfort blankie ... Laughing
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Gotta agree with DM, I went through a boarding phase in the mid 90s. It's a dawdle to learn and versus skinny skis it made going off piste in heavy snow more fun, certainly a lot less work.

Each to their own and it's good to try something new, but skiing's much better. wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brian,
Quote:

It's a dawdle to learn

Hmm, not sure if you were doing it right then hun ...... wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Leedslips wrote:
rolling eyes roga, See, you're getting all confused again, bless - Snowboarders, as a rule do fall a lot (I agree)

I didn't fall last season except once at the MSB race and some ice related shenanigans, can't remember the last time I took a big stack, was probably rail related though. Was the 1st year I didn't break something as well Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian wrote:
Gotta agree with DM, I went through a boarding phase in the mid 90s. It's a dawdle to learn and versus skinny skis it made going off piste in heavy snow more fun, certainly a lot less work.

Each to their own and it's good to try something new, but skiing's much better. wink

For sure learning to get down a piste is a doddle to learn, say a week maximum, but imo that's the building blocks you need to then begin snowboarding.
ski holidays
Here, here stab,
ski holidays
Oh shut up and let it lie, boys. You both know that the blinkered skier types on here are never going to have the balls to give boarding a serious try and that's their loss.

Leedslips, you mean 'hear'.
ski holidays
Lizzard, lol - no, "here, here" - there's more!!!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Lizzard, I have given it a serious try. It's fine for people who don't have the patience to learn to ski properly.
latest report
stab wrote:
I didn't fall last season except once at the MSB race and some ice related shenanigans,

Only coz you bottled out of doing the Post Office rail Toofy Grin
snow report
brian, cheeky monkey !
I have learnt to & can ski properly but now I board. I prefer boarding as I am always learning something new and more importantly I enjoy myself more as I am not stuck up my own backside !!!!!
latest report
Elizabeth B, shame there was no video evidence for us to enjoy NehNeh
snow report
Elizabeth B wrote:
stab wrote:
I didn't fall last season except once at the MSB race and some ice related shenanigans,

Only coz you bottled out of doing the Post Office rail Toofy Grin

I heard that this MSB includes a rail competition, if you go 1st then I will definitely go for it, I'll even do it blindfolded if you go 1st.

Trust me, if I ever hit that thing then there will be a flurry of pictures, videos and x rays posted.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
debbi, wink Laughing
ski holidays
Leedslips wrote:
rolling eyes roga, See, you're getting all confused again, bless - Snowboarders, as a rule do fall a lot (I agree) but that's only coz we push ourselves so we can improve.

So a whole line of aspirant improvers come down a red/black run go over a hump and push themselves to improve all at the same time, they then fall over (it wasn't me who suggested boarders festooned themselves on the piste as a result of falls Very Happy ) land on their bums in a nice synchronised line blocking most of said piste and make cool and steezy laughing and pointing down the hill whilst those idiot skiers wave their poles around and fall over, or not since they don't push themselves to get better... well, I'm certainly gaining insights here... not sure into what but there ya go Wink Laughing
Quote:
Skiiers on the other hand never fall, or get any better... The end wink

Yup, I just can't get those snowplough turns right, no matter how much I try Wink
snow report
roga, Haven't you heard of the new Winter Olympic sport "Synchronised Snowboarding" .
A bit live Riverdance but more like MountainDamnIcaughtMyEdgeAgain wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ah well since this thread is still going I'll throw some more crap into the mix.
Why do skiers stop after getting off a chair lift? What do they have to do? Boarders need to get a foot in the binding but what are the skiers doing?

Serious question by the way, I never figured this one out.
ski holidays
stab, p!ssing about with the backpacks, Leathermans, heat blankets, bivi tents and kitchen sinks which they find it necessary to carry in order to ski a green run, if other threads on here are to be believed. Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, hahaha.

wtf is a green run? We only have blue red and black here.
ski holidays
stab, Lizzard, don't forget the phone conversation with Tarquin about where to meet for lunch
ski holidays
I - minx ski. Bhm boards.
We ski and board together. Shocked

As a consequence I think we are more tolerant of each others quirks and foibles.

I think a lot of what people are complaining about here are others lack of manners.

I always give Bhm plenty of room getting off a chairlift and get out of the way and round the corner as quickly as poss. He needs plenty of room. I also do this for other boarders. I can easily hang back and let them go.
Then I aim for the nearest bench or lump of snow so he can spend the next 15mins arsing about with his boots and bindings, while I have a ciggie and decide which way we are going.
It works perfectly Laughing

I have tried to learn to board but I really didn't get on with it - found it very hard. Hated having both legs attatched to one thing. I wish I could though as it would be soooo great to look out the window and think - icy today I'll ski, lots of pow I'll board today. To be able to do both must be great.

Remember - manners cost nothing but lots of people didn't pick up the free pack.
snow conditions
bhmandminx, ooer, voice of reason. What are you doing here? Laughing
latest report
bhmandminx wrote:
I wish I could though as it would be soooo great to look out the window and think - icy today I'll ski, lots of pow I'll board today. To be able to do both must be great.

If I look out of the window and think - icy today then I grab my helmet Laughing

I nearly tried skiing 2 years ago on a rainy day but my mate wouldn't let me hire any skis from his shop. In all honesty it doesn't interest me at all, except this twin tip ski thing. What the hell, I'll come out of the closet, I would like to see how it is to ski on twin tip skis. Embarassed
snow conditions
stab, GET OUT OF THIS ROOM IMMEDIATELY Twisted Evil
ski holidays
stab, same as any other skis, except that it's easier to go backwards.
latest report
Quote:

bhmandminx, ooer, voice of reason. What are you doing here?

I'll get me coat Very Happy
snow conditions
debbi, wow what just happened? I must have blacked out for a second.

/looks around for anything embarrasing that might have been written whilst blacked out.
ski holidays
stab wrote:
What the hell, I'll come out of the closet, I would like to see how it is to ski on twin tip skis. Embarassed

Just in case you notice what you posted whilst in blackout mode & decide to edit it out Toofy Grin
latest report
I would imagine most of the comments on this thread are very tongue in cheek as surely most people now go on holiday in mixed groups of boarders and skiers and I know very few of these that have not at least tried "the other way"

I started off skiing on my first holiday and tried boarding on my 3rd day, I quickly went back to skiing as I couldn't put up with the falling over all the time, especially as I was able to get down a green run from the top of the mountain on my skis, this isn't to say skiing is better, just that I found it a lot more fun to be a bad skier than a bad boarder Wink.

One of my friends spent a week learning to board and after that was able to get down a blue run, the next holiday she switched to skiing and was able to get down much harder terain after the same amount of time.

I think it is much easier to get down the mountain as a learner skier than boarder and really off putting falling all the time and everyone seems to fall when learning to board.

I think you see more very skilled skiers than boarders on the mountain in general, perhaps just because skiing has been around a lot longer ( obv. not talking about Sean White et. al.) I love to see a really good boarder carving huge turns but you don't see this that often, why?? Do the boarders on here still have lessons after they get past the falling over stage as skiers do??
snow conditions
debbi, Embarassed how can I ever recover from that, maybe I should just leave now, banished, never to return.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy