Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The "getting abuse from the skiers" rapid response thread.

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
Why are the skiers in the snowboarding section anyway ???? Is it the yearning to be with the 'in' crowd, mixing with the cool people?

it's a quiet sunday, maybe they are looking to score some weed

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 4-11-07 16:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stab, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch wrote:
Lizzard,

You don't see many snowboarders touring do you? Ah, you can't get uphill. Oh. Never mind, you can admire my tracks.

so wrong so wrong. So what is a split board all about????? I know that the majority of snowboarders you meet dont go touring but some of US do!
Not all skiers tour either.

I am not skiist, and i get pretty pissed off with my fellow boarders that are rude enought o slate the skiers. The mountain is there for everyone, i must admit i do find it hard to include bladers wink but yes them too! live and let live the mountain is for everyone.

BUT

it is quiet hard to keep feeling that way during the season, esp at new year and school holidays. The amount of slack that i get here on my mountain from holidaymaking skiers is totally outragous.

Now none of us are perfect, we all make mistakes, skiers and snowboarders. Most of the mistakes are caused by beginners of the chosen sport. But in my experience snowboarders are always blamed, regardles of what has happend.

anyway i'm gonna stop ranting now, we do need to have more love on the mountain.

oh and i met Masque the other week, he was skiing! and i was minding small child! Would have been nice to have gone for a shred with him.!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Doh. I have done it a few times.

Never got the hang of it then? Never mind - there's no need to be so bitter about it. Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DaveC wrote:

powhound - pretty sure you'll find skiiers are fine in the deep stuff.

(excluding blades Wink).

i've had a skier off piste in the trees in heavy thick pow, here in serre che season before last, look longingly at me and my buddy as we rode through, saying quiet clearly, today is the day to be on a snowboard!

and your attitude to others on the mountain is admirable and its a shame that others dont follow suit, on both sides
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowangel., on a completely irrelevant note, I really like your beanies!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard, thanks! they;re taking up a lot of time at the moment, i seem to be over run wtih the 'named' ones! Not that i'm complaining!

sorry off topic will stop now!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowangel. wrote:

i've had a skier off piste in the trees in heavy thick pow, here in serre che season before last, look longingly at me and my buddy as we rode through, saying quiet clearly, today is the day to be on a snowboard!

Well, yeah, you'll always get more punters on skis given there're just generally more skiiers. I'm sure snowboarders do stupid things in places too Wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I IZ ON UR MNTN, ETN ALL UR SNWZ LOLZELEVENTY1!!KAKA!!11
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stab wrote:
I IZ ON UR MNTN, ETN ALL UR SNWZ LOLZELEVENTY1!!KAKA!!11

Good job promoting the "snowboarders aren't all morons" stereotype there, boss Wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DaveC, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If I'm being honest I enjoy seeing folks using all sort of different disciplines enjoying the snow on the mountains - its an education to watch other folks deploy their chosen weapons!! wink I always think that the boarding looks so difficult. I even enjoy watching the monoskiers as I've said on the other threads snowHead . Though I must admit I still give snowboarders who are sitting on the mountain a wide berth if possible - its just rather incongruous (sp?) to see a group of people sitting in the middle of the slope - should snowboarders sit at the edge of the mountain to get strapped in - rather like skiers are asked to stop at the edges of the piste, or is it the done thing to sit in the middle? (I am being serious here).

NB - do boarder consider monoskiers fondly as though they are distant cousins? Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowangel.,
Why am I the one getting all the grief when Stab started this whole thread? All I suggested was that he was covertly being anti skiing. Puzzled

Back to your post.

IME, the only incidents that I have witnessed in recent years, including one snowboarder taking out a 6 year old (he thought he could teach himself and simply went to the top of Le Tour and tried to get down. Pity he wasn't trying to learn to swim.) were the fault of the boarder. That said - I have no prejudice, some of my best friends board, etc. One even boards in an ankle length skirt, which I grant you would be tricky on skis. I take your point though. Many holiday skiers have an irrational attitude to boarders. Sadly some boarders do little to reverse this. So do some skiers.

My understanding is that split boards are a compromise and as good as compromises get. (After all, if they were generally superior, that would be all you could buy, right?)

Yeah, you'll find skiers and boarders alike who can't handle powder. But there's nowhere you can go on a board that I can't go on my 67mm waisted slalom skis. And enjoy it. E.O.S.

Lizzard, I believe that "getting the hang of it" took around 2 hours. I've been skiing 37 years and am beginning to get the hang of it. I prefer challenges myself...(no-one else needs to!) Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, presumably you got tired of landing 360s and riding off switch after two hours of it then.

Quote:

is it the done thing to sit in the middle? (I am being serious here).

No you aren't.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, I can do that on skis, why do I want to do it sideways?
snow conditions
Lizzard, yes she is. An entirely reasonable question based on observation.
ski holidays
David Murdoch, I thought your argument was that you had mastered everything possible on a board in your two-hour session. Or are you just moving the goalposts about?
snow report
Megamum wrote:
NB - do boarder consider monoskiers fondly as though they are distant cousins? Toofy Grin

What a great image - stab fondly welcoming a monoskier, wearing a fluo one-piece Cool
snow conditions
David Murdoch wrote:
snowangel.,
Why am I the one getting all the grief when Stab started this whole thread? All I suggested was that he was covertly being anti skiing. Puzzled

Laughing I thought I would get the grief on this thread. I notice a lot of comments all around the site about boarders this, sitting there, blah blah blah. I just don't post to other parts of the forum so don't react.
If anyone sees boarders sitting in the middle of the piste then what is the problem? You saw them right? It's the people who sit under the brow of a hill that get me, sin bin offence that one, skiers and boarders.

Skiing does have a valid purpose imo, cutting that 1st traverse across to spot X, damned if I'm doing it 1st on a board Smile

I'm going to wind my neck in now, snow is a coming to them thar hills, just released all my frustration the last few days, bring on the snow Very Happy
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
IME, the only incidents that I have witnessed in recent years, including one snowboarder taking out a 6 year old

My cousin had his arm broken whilst in his snowboard lesson by a SKI INSTRUCTOR cocking around. Works boths ways !!!

Megamum wrote:
Though I must admit I still give snowboarders who are sitting on the mountain a wide berth if possible - its just rather incongruous (sp?) to see a group of people sitting in the middle of the slope

The same applies to when I have to go round a group of skiiers who are standing around on the brow of a hill chatting - shouldnt they be at the side of the piste too ???

This argument could go on & on & on rolling eyes
latest report
Lizzard, oh, enough already. You like boarding. Fair enough. Enjoy.

debbi, for sure it does. and absolutely dreadful for an instructor to do that. Should well and truly know better

Yes, the skiers should be too. Absolutely right.

I still don't understand why I am the one being castigated. Probably for rising to the bait... Puzzled
snow conditions
David Murdoch, I didnt just do you - I did megamum too! Laughing

I think this is a "lure them into a dark alley & then pounce" thread wink
ski holidays
debbi, Yes, I'm sure it could and from what I see often does.

I won't say that skiers don't clog up the piste you suggest, but I do think the boarder seated on the snow is likely to not be seen as quickly as a standing skier who after all is at approximately the same eyeline. Obviously we should all scan the whole area we ski or board on for those snow people who have fallen off their preferred mode of transport and indeed are at a similar height, but on the whole most crashed people try to get up as soon as possible and are a low eyeline hazard for a relatively short space of time. On the other hand I have waited at the edge of the piste for considerable periods of time waiting for boarders, who are often located seated at a more central location on the slope than I, to clip in tighten the straps, discuss their preferred down with their mates, no doubt oggle the local talent and laugh at the learners (as I bet we all do from time to time) before finally getting up hopping around a little and finally launch on their preferred route down.

Now I'm not saying that groups of skiers don't go through some of the same process, but even if they are in the middle of the piste they are doing all this whilst standing - I think this makes a big difference to their perceived hazard on the slope. Also, because a skier is standing if someone is heading in their direction and they see them or they are bellowed at they stand a chance of seeing them and very quickly moving out of the way if necessary - I can't see that a boarder can do this as quickly. I am convinced that even I standing on a piste in my skis could shift faster than a boarder half way through their clicking in process.
snow report
David Murdoch, I've done a self defence course - dark alleys don't scare me wink
snow conditions
Megamum, have you tried snowboarding? If you fall over on skis, getting up again is fairly easy. If I wipe out on my board, it can take a while to get my breath back (on a board you wipe out far more violently than on skis) and then get going. Unless the snow is really soft, it is impossible to stand up still on the board, so you "catch a moment" to recover while you are "sat down".
snow report
Elizabeth B, No way it looks terrifying and I have no trouble believing what you say about wipeouts, but you do all look very vulnerable whilst sitting on the piste.

Note for Dragons Den - collapsable coloured flags for snowboarders sat on the piste

I'M JOKING - HONEST Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
Any of you on Facebook should be able to see this (probably more realistic for most of us) video: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=5365537604&subj=508424277

This is my lot last season - note the way Rob (green pants and striped jacket) completely fails on several occasions to land that jump off the roof at the end!

that's awesome, that last jump is great Laughing , if those guys had the skill to match the balls they would be world beaters.
snow conditions
Megamum, you don't need flags, skiers just need a good sense of smell. If you can work out the direction, then you can trace back to the owner of the spliff wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Elizabeth B, alledgedly. And I smoke on the move wink
snow conditions
Wow ! A man that can multi-task Shocked stab we salute you Laughing
snow report
debbi, he has to be fibbing - probably has to stop in order to inhale. Laughing
snow report
I've been reading all your posts and just wanna add that I'm a boarder and proud to be one. Our first trip was last Feb when we went to Les Gets. The only previous experience we'd had was at CAS Xscape, so didn't really know what to expect.....we were all having nightmares about the lifts, we'd watched stuff on youtube and it looked really scary lol!

The thing I found frustrating about skiers is that they know it's proper hard for us boarders to keep upright whilst "trying" to get off the lift. Yet, they did insist on congrigating right where I needed to chuck myself once my ass left the chair. They just stood there looking and chatting oblivious of the fact we are trying not to to get twatted round the head by the chair as it comes round. Skiiers, just move out the way and we'll get on a lot better.

Oh ..... and another thing, when standing in line for the chair, please don't insist on putting your ski's ontop of my snowboard, it aint funny and does get rather annoying after a day on the mountian Mad !!!

I think, IMO it's a class of personality - I'm not gonna say anymore! wink

Rant over! PEACE snowHead
ski holidays
Leedslips, welcome to the best section of the site Razz
ski holidays
Leedslips,I advise yelling then carry on regardless, take them out and they'll get the message.
latest report
Thanks debbi wink
latest report
Quote:

I advise yelling then carry on regardless, take them out and they'll get the message

Swirly, lol - In the end that's exactly what we had to do Little Angel
snow report
Leedslips, I like your attitude , you will fit in well in this section !
snow conditions
Quote:

please don't insist on putting your ski's ontop of my snowboard

That's a universal one, usually kids on hired equipment. Very irritating when they're taking lumps out of your skis/board. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
debbi, Twisted Evil The attitude comes naturally - it all began back in the day when I was learning how to snowboard at Xscape. A huge group of skiiers (we'll call um pricks with sticks for the sake of argument) came straight for me, shouting "boarder down, boarder down". Hmmm, at that precise moment I wasn't down, that didn't last long - they all headed str8 for me. From that moment on I've started suffering from tourette's when ever I'm around this type of individual (skiiers), you will often find me chuntering and swearing under my breath and occasionally lol when a skiier is down!!! Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Leedslips, the fact that a few people on skis are idiot weirdos doesn't mean the everyone indulging in the pastime has the same attitude. Don't you get told off (or indeed thrown out) at Xscape for doing that sort of thing?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy