Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The "getting abuse from the skiers" rapid response thread.

Poster: A snowHead
lynseyf, Lessons Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stab wrote:
I heard that this MSB includes a rail competition, if you go 1st then I will definitely go for it, I'll even do it blindfolded if you go 1st.

Does it count if I slide down it on my bum?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Elizabeth B wrote:
stab wrote:
I heard that this MSB includes a rail competition, if you go 1st then I will definitely go for it, I'll even do it blindfolded if you go 1st.

Does it count if I slide down it on my bum?

Only if I'm blindfolded. NehNeh And you have to do it switch.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lynseyf, there was a good article in The Times on Sunday where the reporter tried for the first time - skiing, cross country and boarding all in one day !!

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/travel/holiday_type/winter_sports/article2792099.ece
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can do both, albeit snowboarding is the "second sport" as far as my abilities concern however, I think there is far more room for both sports than people who want to rubbish the other one! Now if we are going to "prejudise" against someone it should be the French! Austria anyone?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rayscoops wrote:
lynseyf, there was a good article in The Times on Sunday where the reporter tried for the first time - skiing, cross country and boarding all in one day !!

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/travel/holiday_type/winter_sports/article2792099.ece

Did you see the comment at the bottom of that piece?

Quote:
You poor dear! I went snowboarding for the first time last winter in New Mexico and ended breaking my ankle, two surgeries and a $12,000 hospital bill!!!

Looks like someone was a tight ass and didn't hire boots to go with the board. How do you break your ankle exactly on a board?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
debbi wrote:
roga, Haven't you heard of the new Winter Olympic sport "Synchronised Snowboarding" .
A bit live Riverdance but more like MountainDamnIcaughtMyEdgeAgain wink

LOL, now that would be well worth watching Laughing
stab wrote:
Ah well since this thread is still going I'll throw some more crap into the mix.
Why do skiers stop after getting off a chair lift? What do they have to do? Boarders need to get a foot in the binding but what are the skiers doing?

Pick their noses? wink
Quote:
Serious question by the way, I never figured this one out.

Ah, (semi)seriously though there are a few reasons I can think of:
Put their poles back on their hands correctly (I do that Very Happy )
Tighten boots (which have been loosened in the first place because they're so damned uncomfortable - I do that Very Happy )
Make sure their *rse isn't hanging out of their pants 'coz they're not cool enough to carry the baggy trousered/bumb hanging out look (of course I exclude myself from this one 'coz I'm cool enough Wink ) Wink Razz

And some that might apply to boarders and skiers:
Put backpack back on and adjust
Sort out iPod/MP3

I'm sure there must be more reasons including all the reasons beginner/early intermediate skiers invariably get in the way of everyone as they flail their way off the lift and then stop breathlessly in relief just where you happen to be headed - been there done that NehNeh
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rayscoops wrote:

Yeah I did and got to say my experiences mirror this. I think I would like to try boarding again but will wait till I'm a lot better at skiing, don't see the point in being crap at 2 things Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
debbi wrote:
lynseyf, Lessons Puzzled

yeah this is what I mean and I've got to say my boarder friends pretty quickly gave up on the lessons once they had got going but the skiers seem to be more inclined to keep up with them, even the ones that are pretty good, it just reinforces the impression I have that you see a lot more skiers who have that effortless style which everyone envies than boarders. As a side note there are loads of folk who board in Scotland, I can't believe how popular it is up here

This has been linked to on one of the more general threads but I thought some of the boarders might appreciate it as well

http://youtube.com/v/KqbFpEkwQhI
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lynseyf, On a serious note, I have considered having some advanced tution to correct some bad habits and also for the off-piste aspect. Instructors know the good places to go!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lots of them don't bother with lessons because they are young men. This means that a) they think they know it all; b) they can't be seen to be doing anything which indicates that they might not know it all; c) they confuse speed with skill; and d) they're skint.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
lynseyf, there's a longer version of that available now:

http://youtube.com/v/UROg_GhnnaE

All joking aside, that boarding looks awesome. I intend to haul my carcass up to some of those lines at some point ...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brian wrote:
lynseyf, there's a longer version of that available now:

http://youtube.com/v/UROg_GhnnaE

All joking aside, that boarding looks awesome. I intend to haul my carcass up to some of those lines at some point ...

Yeah i've bought the DVD and watched the whole thing, it is good and its things like that that make me wnat to board.

You're probably right about the young men thing Lizzard, one of the reasons I asked was because I went on holiday with my mums friends last year, one of who is a boarder and she was one of the more stylish ones. She had really stuck with the lessons and was concentrating on perfecting carving, mind you that might have had something to do with the fact her instructor was a very hot young guy NehNeh
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lynseyf, if you could guarantee me that then sign me up for lessons Twisted Evil
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

How do you break your ankle exactly on a board?

There's a way. I don;t remember exactly, but recall reading a scary article about this, or maybe a thread on Snowheads. It was about catching a front edge , on quite a steep piste, and being flung over really fast through a really big angle, if I remember rightly.
ski holidays
stab wrote:
Getting outnumbered and abused in some thread? Post that thread URL here and your snowboard brethren can be all over it, restoring the balance in the greatest debate since chickens and eggs, board or ski?

Providing that thread isn't in apres zone, I'm scared of there.

Laughing Laughing Laughing what a great idea for a thread!! Laughing Think you'll have to start another one for that though - this one's been taken over Toofy Grin

PS - I wouldn't venture into the Bend Ze Knees section either wink
snow report
cathy wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing what a great idea for a thread!! Laughing Think you'll have to start another one for that though - this one's been taken over Toofy Grin

doesn't matter, I achieved my goal, get some life in the snowboard section Smile
snow conditions
cathy wrote:

I'm in, I'm out, I think I got away with it. Eh oh!
ski holidays
stab,cathy, I went in earlier , my first post ever in that section. Only MrToastie noticed though so no reprisals .. yet
snow report
I swing both ways, though thinking about putting some more time back into snowboarding to keep up with my young chums. See, it doesn't matter if I'm faster than them when I'm skiing, it simply doesn't count. Mighty, mighty fine thread.
ski holidays
Well I'm officially an old fart because I turned 40 last week Sad but I did buy myself a board snowHead My wife insists I must be going through some sort of midlife crisis because I only tried boarding for about 3 days five years ago. But the reason I didn't continue with boarding was very simple. I had 2 weeks in the snow each year, on skis I could tackle most runs, off piste, trees etc and I couldn't face spending a whole holiday or two back on the easy runs. Now I have moved to Canmore, I expect to get in at least 50 days this season, I can certainly afford to give up several of those learning to board. It also helps that my son, now 8, decided last year that he wanted to board as well as ski. He was already a blue/easy black skier but after only a few days was able to do blue runs on a board as well.

I really would like to be able to do both well enough to just decide based on conditions/mood/toss of a coin, which kit to get out each day. I also want to be able to participate in either of my childrens prefered activities (my daughter is 100% commited to skiing).

So, my goals at the end of this season are to be able to keep up with my 8 year old son on a board and my 12 year old daughter on skis. I fully expect to fail in both, but at least I'll have fun trying and I am the only member of the family who blades so at least I can still be best at one thing Very Happy

(Perhaps my wife is right about this mid life crisis?)
ski holidays
solarfish wrote:
Well I'm officially an old fart because I turned 40 last week

being 40 doesn't make you officially an old fart unless you act/think like one. I know, i'm 40 but think and proabalby act half of the time like an 18 year old!

40 is the new 21!
snow conditions
snowangel. wrote:
solarfish wrote:
Well I'm officially an old fart because I turned 40 last week

being 40 doesn't make you officially an old fart unless you act/think like one. I know, i'm 40 but think and proabalby act half of the time like an 18 year old!

40 is the new 21!

not on the dance floor it aint wink
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
Lots of them don't bother with lessons because they are young men. This means that a) they think they know it all; b) they can't be seen to be doing anything which indicates that they might not know it all; c) they confuse speed with skill; and d) they're skint.

hahah brilliant!
ski holidays
cathy wrote:

I'm far to scared to go in there on my own Confused
latest report
Elizabeth B, I don't know about scary - it's certainly incredibly boring.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard, even the Apres section is as dull as ditch water at the moment
snow report
stab wrote:
doesn't matter, I achieved my goal, get some life in the snowboard section Smile

Busiest its ever been Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard wrote:
Elizabeth B, I don't know about scary - it's certainly incredibly boring.

oh I dunno, this killed a few minutes of my life - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31521
latest report
stab, saw that thread, opened it, yawned, went back to the index.... what is it with these skier types ?
snow report
debbi, I guess that's why a lot of the goals were "to have fun".
ski holidays
debbi, stab, mindlessly self congratulatory are we tonight? ho hummmm
snow report
David Murdoch, no just looking for some life
snow report
debbi wrote:
David Murdoch, no just looking for some life

......and not finding any in Bend Ze Knees wink
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
debbi, stab, mindlessly self congratulatory are we tonight? ho hummmm

Ooooh you "skier type" you wink

Far be it for me to stereotype though... there seem to be some real experts in that here Shocked
latest report
Quote:

I guess that's why a lot of the goals were "to have fun".

Laughing Laughing

Does come naturally to most of us, indeed.
snow conditions
Evil or Very Mad BRETHEN * SNOWBOARD ATTACK ALERT * Evil or Very Mad

HERE in the Apres Zone

SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
I just cut an Onion in half....... it made me cry, i did the same to a Snowboard once, made me laugh. Laughing
ski holidays
Outrageous. Somebody stuff virtual snow down his trousers.
snow report
debbi wrote:
Evil or Very Mad BRETHEN * SNOWBOARD ATTACK ALERT * Evil or Very Mad

HERE in the Apres Zone

SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
I just cut an Onion in half....... it made me cry, i did the same to a Snowboard once, made me laugh. Laughing

damn, in Apres Zone, my only weakness. Mad
ski holidays
"you see a lot more skiers who have that effortless style which everyone envies than boarders."

I beg to differ as I rarely see skiers with "Effortless style which everyone envies" - I do see plenty of skiers stuck in the eighties in terms of style though.. feet stuck together, butt sticking out, poles splaying all over the place, but they do make THAT look effortless!

I board and ski by the way....

Amazes me that this "argument" still goes on, just do what you enjoy. If you are not very good at the other then don't do it. Easy Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy