Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What non-slip footwear do you use round icy resorts?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm a bit concerned about slipping over when walking about an icy resort - wondered what you all wear for best grip? Last year I took my walking boots and when it was really icy took my ski poles as walking poles. I've just seen these, which look a tad granny-ish, but perhaps practical and not expensive at the moment??

http://www.cottontraders.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?ProductCatalogue=aq10065www
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
walking boots seem to do the trick, wont have to do much walking on icy restaurants as we have on slope accomadation. Only have to walk to restaurants in the evening! Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We had plenty of ice last year, our, very decent, walking boots were hopeless - DH took a couple of really nasty tumbles. This year I'm presenting him with my spare set of ski poles. How about these:

http://www.spiky.com/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a pair of these there is not much warmer but ice is difficult for any boot..

http://www.sorel.com/Product.aspx?top=1&cat=120&prod=49
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NewSkier, I just wear a pair of walking boots, certainly no worse than walking around in ski boots.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
NewSkier,

See

http://www.rockrun.com/productlist.asp?CatID=28&BCat=425,28&rootcatid=425&searchstring=&brand=

click page 2. The Top Grip and Spider crampons look like they are specifically made for situations like yours. Certainly they are not 'real' climbing crampons, you'll see when you take a look.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, PisteHead, they look interesting - worth more investigation I think!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I just use a pair of waterproof Merrell walking boots -warm, non slip on ice and comfy. Work well in fresh snow or on hard ice. My SO wears a similar boot but by Timberland with equal results. on the merrells a non vibram sole works better than the Vibram one Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bones wrote:
..on the merrells a non vibram sole works better than the Vibram one Smile

I would agree with that, the Merrell Vibram soles are very slippy on ice and wet surfaces - possibly due to the tread design.

snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have found a natural rubber sole will grip most surfaces but these new synthetic soles are just like ice skates. On damp morning concrete, stone and even manhole covers can be lethal, with the price of new high tech walking boots you would they would test then first. rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I use my ordinary trainers... parents always got pissed off at me in past years but they do find. But for you older more frail types.... Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NewSkier, just don't walk on the icy bits Toofy Grin
There is usually another way through.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Used to just wear a pair of walking boots with stiff soles. They used to grip ok on the flat but on slopes I'd have to kick them in to make little steps in the compact snow/ice. Then I looked for things for when the ice is too hard to make little steps. So far I've found that YakTrax work well and they're not spiky in the pocket when not in use. Also The North Face "trainer/clog" things with their "Winter grip" sole seem to work well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Timberlands
Any of those 'all-mountain' trainer things (Salomons are popular)
Walking boots (though I find mine a bit stiff in the sole to be comfortable on pavements etc)
Those fleece-lined rubber things to which you posted a link are what you see all the pisteurs/instructors wearing, so they have to be good enough.

But NOT DMs, which are the most hopeless things imaginable in the snow.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I inevitably end up using my bottom whatever I wear, so have taken to bum boarding down to wherever and drinking lots so that the I can't remeber the falls on the way back.
ski holidays
Silly me. Only just read this thread through properly.
Of course Megamum is right. Spikes! You need a pair of these
(Note the integral lock to prevent loss if left outside the restaurant Cool )
ski holidays
Jonpim, Suits you, Sir wink Laughing
snow report
I use Timberlands and good balance. Cool
snow report
peura, Thanks for the pointer - I reckon my letter to Santa might contain a request for some Yaktraks http://www.yaktrax.co.uk/shop/yaktrax.php!
snow conditions
Carolina (logger) boots for normal wear and Sorel caribous if I'm stood in the snow for long periods or theres loads of ice around.
snow report
peura, Yaktrax look good. just sent for a pair of "Yaktrax Pro" £21.95 inc postage
Thanks for the tip. Laughing
latest report
4 season boots
snow conditions
I have a pair of boots bought in resort, with normal walking type soles, but also with crampon things in both soles and heels, which hinge open and closed, so you can have them in crampon mode, or non crampon. They are fur lined, soft, waterproof, and don't slip. They're excellent, though you need to be careful when closing the crampons because if they're not properly closed they can drop out. I did lose one, but the shop managed to order me a spare. Vibram type boots are often useless on ice. Though not as bad as trainers. They're useless on wet rock too, as someone said. The good old Moon Boots have a super grip on ice, but they take up so much room!
latest report
NewSkier, I spent 2 weeks in Zermatt last year and it's the worst resort I've been to for icy roads and pavements. I saw IceBug boots in the shops which have steel studs in the soles and are supposed to be very good for walking around on ice/snow. http://www.icebug.se/ShowFolder.asp?id=78
Probably not so good for wearing indoors though Very Happy
ski holidays
Byron Gates, Let us know when you get the Yaktrax and what u think of them please!

nuttyprofessor, Sounds good, but if they can't really be used for wear in normal conditions too then they're not very practical for holidays.
snow report
nuttyprofessor
Can you play golf in those?
latest report
Nokian make a few stud-able boots, mostly "welly style" and not very elegant but functional perhaps Confused http://www.nokianfootwear.fi/ben/Product%20Groups/Outdoor/Trimmi
latest report
I spent years slipping and sliding around on snow and ice until i realised that what i needed was the kind of footwear that the Liftys used. An insulated boot to keep warm standing on ice with a rubber upper to keep dry if walking through snow or slush with good grip on ice or hard packed snow.

This is the type of boot i'm referring to :-

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?site=NA&model=A519&language=en

money well spent!

The secret is the rubber banding round the sides and over the toes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boot are just like winter tyres, it is the rubber compound that makes the difference, I bought a pair of seriouly dangerous ones (cheap) and replaced them with some copy Sorells which were equally dangerous, I am now on my 4th pair of Tecnica boots which are good in icy conditions.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy