Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding question : A little lengthy post so, only if you have time....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hello snowhead(er)s.

First all all, I am glad that I came across with this community full of snow lovers. Here I have a little questions regarding my returning to ski journey after almost 6~7 years of getting adjusted into real life (graduating from school, getting a job, completing multi-years projects/assignment etc etc, getting married, new baby etc etc etc...).

Anyway, yesterday, I was shopping around local dept store where there is decent snow sport shop with my wife and baby. Then, I just happen to grab a set of boots and ski w/ binding for on-coming season. Being a intermidiate player (or maybe lower than that by now....), the equipment I grabbed is just the same category as well as "affordable" (affordability is very important to me as just becoming a first time farther...) Also, I just want to slowly regain the old day's fun/skill by choosing these "easy" equipments

Atomic E:7
Atomic Device 311binding
Technica RX 7 boots

Back in 90;s, I used to play with Salomon 2.00m straight ski and enjoyed the fast ski with such lengthy Salomon and was also privately taught and lessoned by my friend racer back in mid 1990's. However, by now, after being abused by the real life lesson, now my skill is certainly deteriorated as well as I got quite more amount of body weight (more mulscle with even more fat... ^^Wink compared to back in when I was mid 20's (now I am in early 30's). Now, I am 5ft11inch (180cm) and around 225 lb's (well I was around 190~200 lb's even when I was in mid 20's ...^^Wink

Here are my real questions to modern ski experts like you guys,

1. Binding DIN is currently set at 7 (both toe and heel). I would like to lower it to 6 and 6 to start "easily". Do you think is it too much lower? I just want to protect my knee....^^;

2. In old days, I usually unscrew (or fully release) the binding when its' not being used to protect the binding's elasticity as much as possible. Oh yeah, in 1990's it was NOT as affordable as these days. Is it still good idea? or am I just over-concerned?

3. Any other advice? (except excercising???, I am already trying to shape my body back.....^^Wink

Anyway, thank much for reading this long story. Hope to get some feedback from you guys.... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Should be ok just, but if you find yourself coming out of the bindings without reason tighten them back up.

2. Don't worry about it.

3. I'm the last person in the world to suggest how to get back into shape Sad

Oh yes and welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 31-10-04 17:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHeads, Jin_Chris snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jin_Chris,
Quote:

3. Any other advice? (except excercising???, I am already trying to shape my body back.....^^

I am the last person to give advice about excercising but if I was worried about my knees I would concentrate more on building quad / hamstring strength, than in setting my bindings low.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jin_Chris, I'm going to wholeheartedly salute D G Orf's #2 aka "Don't worry about it". I think there should be a Snowheads smilie for that quote.

Possibly the greatest safety benefit for any money with the new gear would be to take pro lessons and learn the new skills.

Some of the Snowheads also post to a sometimes rather technical US forum called Epicski, and backing off bindings is a perennial topic in threads such as:

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=18770&highlight=back+bindings
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jin_Chris, you don't say anything about your boot size but these days the release setting (not DIN anymore) is set according to "skier type". A setting of 7 with your height and previous weight would be appropriate for a "Type 1 skier" having a boot sole length of 271 - 290 mm if using a Salomon binding. However, the setting could vary from 6 to 11.5 depending on your "skier type".

At your current weight your setting of 7 would be increased to 8.5 (assuming that 7 was correct to start with) if your skiing ability and choice of terrain were still the same.

A lower setting will effectively only increase the risk of inadvertent release, so if your choice of terrain and speed renders that unlikely it should not be a problem.

But my advice is get them set by a properly trained technician.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jin_Chris, Welcome to snowheads, I like you have had a lengtht (12 year) lay off from skiing. I was very apprehensive of returning to the snow. I am now 40 and not as fit as I once was. Rest assurred you will find you can ski, in fact its easier now with these new short planks with fat tips and tails and a waist like Nicole Kidman. As to exercise a steady program of sensible exercise 3 times a week and a reduced alcohol regime have lost the stone I needed to loose and improved my stamina and strength.

I bought all new gear this year so far no shop I have dealt with has given me any bad advice. I was able to try demo skis at Xscape Castleford which helped with choice. I will find out in January if my choice was right.

If you can get to a snowdome before December for a couple of hours or so it will be worth it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Russell wrote:
...Rest assurred you will find you can ski, in fact its easier now with these new short planks with fat tips and tails and a waist like Nicole Kidman...

Your skis have a 28 inch waist? How fat does that make the tips???! Laughing

(I know you said you've been out of skiing for a while but are you sure someone hasn't sold you a pair of snowboards?) Laughing Little Angel
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowy, Laughing Laughing Ah but boy are they good looking
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy