Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best goggles on the market?

Poster: A snowHead
Buying goggles is like buying condoms, you can't really know if you like them until you actually use them. I'm looking for some goggles, but I need them to be highly functional. I often feel blind when I wear goggles, especially in flat light. Fogging is also a big pain. If someone could help me sort through all the technical descriptions and cowdoo, I would appreciate it. If you have goggles that work perfectly I would like to hear about them.
Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought some cheap Oakley O-Frames last season and they were perfect for me.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have Oakley A-Frames, and they've been great - any fogging clears as soon as I start moving, and they're very comfortable. They have the double lens, and are optically correct, so they're not like wearing a goldfish bowl in front of your face, which my previous cheapo goggles were.

The anti-fog coating on most modern goggles helps a lot, but it only lasts if you treat them properly, i.e. air dry them or dab them with a soft cloth, rather than wiping them, which just wipes off the coating.

However, it also depends on the person - one of our regular party sweats like a pig in a sauna, so his goggles always looked like an autumn day in Aberdeen until he ripped out most of the foam to get even more air circulation. Now he gets a cold face, but can see where he's going Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lasnico17, you like condoms?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ousekjarr, i like the a frames as well and another thing i like about them is that the frame is so soft. I had a big crash last year without a helmet and landed face first breaking the lenses but not my nose Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lasnico17, the Oakley website has some good information about the different lenses and example photos of what your view would be like with and without the various lenses. You can see them here: http://oakley.com/innovation/optical_superiority/lens_tints

Spy also detail their lens types and the conditions for which they would be suitable at the back of their '06 catalogue: www.spyoptic.com/pdf/SPY_SnowCatalog06.pdf

As to the best googles on the market, it's really a personal choice and what you are prepared to pay for them. Luckily, you're in the United States so compared to the UK everything is good value. Lens-wise your choices are cylindrical and spherical. Spherical are suppose to provide a better range of undistorted vision. The main property you want to have in a lens though is a fully-sealed dual-layer, which means that you won't get fogging between the two layers and it helps prevent fogging by having a small insulating layer between you and the outside too.

Personally speaking, I reckon Spy and Scott goggles are excellent quality. Spy and Scott goggles I have personal experience of. I wear Oakley shades and believe them to be top quality too but I have not used their goggles so I cannot comment. They look good though and Oakley do have excellent customer service.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lasnico17, like everything else, you need to try them for yourself. Scott, Smith, Oakley, Uvex, Dragon, Marker all make or brand good kit.

Her indoors picked up a very nice pair of Markers last year. I declined at the time and ended up with Scotts which while fine don't have quite as good a lens tint for my taste. "Snooze, Lose" comes to mind.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
depends on climate as well....

For Oz conditions I prefer Carrera goggles (ones with gazzillion vents and reactive lens)... they are very vented and so I find better in warm/wet conditions... also the reactive works well for the sun/cloud changes we get.... although less well for flat light.... the Smith goggles I got last year are better in flat light (very good price also Very Happy )....

I am told Briko are as good as the Carerra in warm - as they also make a super vented model...

I had Oakley and Bolle - useless like being in a fishtank- WET!!!! Especially the Bolle - we had to send 2 pairs back as faulty and had big problems with their customer service - avoid them like the plague!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
oakley crowbars, best peripheral vision, best optical clarity, no fogging, best helmet compatabilty. Make sure you get an appropriate lens for the conditions you'll be skiing in, it does make a huge difference. I got some from ebay for 80quid delivered.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another vote for Oakley. Switching to Wisdoms was a revelation for me, as I suffered with fogging a lot until getting them. Lens clarity is fantastic too. Black irid is great in all but low light, and hi yellow shines there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you very much, your information was very helpful.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ive got crowbars for flat white with a yellow H.I lens and they are great! Also for when the sun shines i have ducatti wisdoms (gift not choice) with a black iridium? i think and they are also great. would never go back to anyone else.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spy bins and goggles for me... I wear their Bronze tint for everything but very bright days and then switch over to sunglasses for that.

I also have a yellow tint, new for this year..replacement lenses are easy to source... so expect an even better return in flat light.

Opitcal quality is good and as I use Zeiss and Hoya lenses in my glasses, I am aware of that sort of thing.

You should look after the lenses as they will scratch and that makes them annoyingly useless, IMV.
So whatever you get, you should be able to replace the lenses, IMO.

I am not sure the very high-end Oakleys are worth the money in £'s...but I'd go for them at US prices
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't go for them at £ either, mate whose sponsored by oakley so makes it somewhat more appealing than any other goggle out there.. also cheaper lol
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scott here.. use them for skiing, auto racing and motorcross (not the same ones obviously!)
ski holidays
This year was the first time I had worn goggles full time on the slopes, rather than just in bad weather, due to the purchase of a helmet. Went for a pair of Adidas Yodai (as I have a large bonce) and must say I was really impressed. Great fit, and the lens, which is an LST Trail Silver worked in sunshine and flat light. And no steaming up.
latest report
I have 2 pairs of wisdoms, one for bright light and one for flat light. Generally take both with me onto the mountain so that I can switch between them as required.
Really happy with them, having the pair for cr*p light has been soo useful!

Think i have fire iridium? for brighter light, and hi blue (which oddly is yellow) for flat light
snow conditions
have used bolle, smith and oakley. prefer the oakleys every time, using wisdoms at present
ski holidays
Oakley A frames fit my face really well and I've never had a problem with fogging. I think that with all of the quality makes just try, try and try before finding the one that suits you.
snow report
Quote:

Buying goggles is like buying condoms

How many do you usually try on before deciding to buy, lasnico17?
ski holidays
pam w, I tried featherlites but I couldn't see in low light conditions and they were boogers to get over my eyes.
snow conditions
Oakleys seem to be the fav here and I can see why. Lenses are IMO second to none, but sadly having tried most of them, they just don't sit right on me! Ended up with Smith Fuse Regulators and bought the extra lens (blue mirror/iridium or something) and I have to say, they are great in flat light. A bit cheaper too, which was a bonus.
snow report
Oakley also do asian fit goggles where theyt are actually designed for asian-shaped heads!
latest report
Rossfra8, Puzzled in what way are Asian heads shaped differently?
snow report
maggi, ask oakley, theyve made a whole range of goggles dedicated to this!
snow conditions
Oakleu crowbars are the best goggles I have tried followed by the Smith Phenom
ski holidays
Bolle Scream, great vents, nice looking, good performance £85 quid.
ski holidays
I use Adidas Yodai goggles. Theyre a single layer lens but the lens is treated and has never fogged up once. Really comfy and warm with an excellent range of interchangeable lenses.

TK Maxx have a large selection of Bolle and Carrera goggles in stock right now, so if you're after a bargain, get down there for a look.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Only 10 years too late Laughing
ski holidays
Oakley are the best.

I have two pairs of Crowbars and wouldn't change them for anything.

Before I had Bolle and Adidas, both steamed up dangerously in heavy snow.
snow conditions
@lasnico17, I don't think there's much different between any goggle at the higher end of the market (POC, Uvex, Briko, Oakley, Shred, Head etc) so just buy what fits you best (and your helmet) and then get a selection of lenses for different conditions, and wear them as needed.
snow conditions
Thread resurrection by goggle spammer?
snow report
oh yeah, oops. I wonder if @lasnico17 is still looking for those goggles ten years on.
latest report
did you find the goggles @lasnico17, did you?
snow report
Best Specifications for Goggles for flat light IMHO:

Category 2 lenses (most goggles are cat3,(general use), cat 2 is for low light)

Rose tinted (best for flat light apparently)

Polarised (reduces light incoherence)

After that other things come into play e.g

Double lens, anti fog measures, lens aperture (I.e. Bigger size => more vision), comfort, lens protection, flexibility, etc and of course, price

Fwiw, I have some old Alpina goggles with the above spec that I got circa 10 years ago in St Anton. I love them, they're super in flat light, they can be a bit `glarey`in bright sunshine, but then I just wear neat sunnies underneath them on those days, does me fine.
ski holidays
No mention of Smiths??

I have a pair of Smiths ski googles that have a small battery pack on the strap and a fan built into the top of the frame that draws air out. The fan is very inconspicuous, unless you point it out no one would even realize it was there. They never mist up. There are various lenses available, you can even get aftermarket ones at a lower cost.
The big advantage for me is that if you come hacking down a slope and get fairly hot then decide to take a breather for a moment they don't steam up due to a lack of air flow like normal ones do. Not stupid money either, I paid about £120 a couple of years ago.

The idea comes from motorcross where you get very hot and sweaty, therefore mist up the googles badly, not good if you can't see the track. Shocked
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Thread resurrection by goggle spammer?

Looks like their post has been deleted. Wasn't me the o started it again😀
snow report
'Sall personal preference or what sales are on during your buying cycle... but if you want to stalk a pair of goggles try julbo aerospace zebra lights.
Aerospace for venting, simple but mad effective, even after eating it, click, and you are clear, fog wise.
Zebra light for polychromatic cat 1-3 pretty good but not the best at low light, super detailed in bright.
The transition seems faster than the Oakleys, you do have to open up a couple of turns when hitting shadow but hey.
They do fit wide but look a little small on the face under helmet.
If you do go this way one tip is get them drying upright to vent moisture in the space between lens I left mine in my sack over night once and had to ride with 'B' kit for the next couple of days.
On my second pair as yet to find googles that are branch whip proof.

They are the bomb.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 12-03-17 18:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Is there an English translation of the above post?
latest report
king key wrote:
Is there an English translation of the above post?

I tried "Google Translate", but even it seemed baffled!. Puzzled
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy